JoeMama

Possibly a stupid question...but I shall ask!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I know this may be a stupid question. But I will ask because I need to know. I am self-employed and have not filed my tax returns for 2006. I need to make sure my income is sufficient on my taxes before I send any papers to for the K-1 visa. According to 2007 Federal Poverty Guidelines for a family of 5 (this includes my fiancee' when she arrives here), the guidelines state my annual income should be $24130. Now to reach the correct amount of 125% over that amount, I would mulitply 24,130 by .25? This would give an amount of $6033.00. A 100% of 24,130 is 24310. Add the $6033 and this should give me the total amount required, $30163.00. Am I correct on this amount? If you know the correct formulation to this mathematic equation, I'd be happy to know it! :D

Edited by altimixdj

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Yes, you are correct.

125% of $24,130 = $24,130 x 1.25 = $30,162.50

Thank you my good person! It is much appreciated! :thumbs:

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Does anyone know how this works in regards to co-sponsors? I'm a student and my yearly income is...not much (actually I don't know if I'll have tax returns this year). I'll be working soon, but not soon enough for the K-1. Anyway, my parents plan on co-sponsoring. I have two parents with no dependents. Then there's me. And then there's my fiance. Does that mean for them, when they file as co-sponsors, they need to be able to support a family of four at 125%? Likewise, when I file my assets (yes...funny huh?) would I be aiming to support a family of four or a family of two, since I won't really contribute to my parents (it sounds mean doesn't it - actually they don't plan on contributing to me much either - its just that I'm not working yet - I will be later). I also so on the I-134 things about providing housing and such. If you provide housing for someone (for example, myself and my fiance are always welcome at my parents house in worst case, but I'm also going to be renting an apartment at my school and I have a free apartment that's packaged with my summer job - so I can provide housing as well) does that take your amount down? Or is that statement of providing just extra support?

Thanks a lot!

-Tim

• September 17, 2005 - Florence and Tim met in Hong Kong for first time
    May 27, 2006 - Tim left Hong Kong to study in Beijing
    July 8, 2006 - Tim returned to Hong Kong to annoy Florence
    August 8, 2006 - Tim had to go back to school in U.S.
    December 18, 2006 - Tim returned to Hong Kong to spend holidays with Florence
    January 6, 2007 - Florence accepted Tim's begging plea to marry him and had engagement dinner
    January 13, 2007 - Tim had to go back to school again :(
    January 15, 2007 - Started putting together all the documents for the I-129F filing
    January 18, 2007 - Sent to Nebraska Service Center via overnight USPS - expensive :( - but fast :)
    January 24, 2007 - NOA1 Issued
    January 27, 2007 - NOA1 Received by Mail
    May 1, 2007 - Touched
    May 1, 2007 - NOA2
    May 2, 2007 - Touched
    May 13, 2007 - Tim went to HK to visit Florence
    May 22, 2007 - Package sent from NVC to HK Consulate
    June 6, 2007 - Florence received packet 3
    June 8, 2007 - Florence finished filling out packet 3
    June 9. 2007 - Florence went for medical exam and to request police certificate
    June 16, 2007 - Florence got interview scheduling letter from HK Consulate
    July 12, 2007 - Interview at Hong Kong Consulate for Florence, successful
    July 22, 2007 - Florence came to U.S.
    September 15, 2007 - We had our wedding!
    Now working on the AOS papers.

Co-sponsors work like regular sponsors; they're the same fish as far as DoS is concerned.

If I understand your situation correctly, it's like this.

Your parents do not currently receive assistance from you. And you and your fiancé are going to establish your own household. So if you file the I-134 on behalf of your fiancé, you're responsible for yourself, and her, so you have a family of two.

If your parents file the I-134, they count themselves as part of their household. They count your fiancé. If they're supporting you, they count you. If they're not supporting you, they don't count you.

So by my math (not a lawyer, caveat), for you, it's two. For your parents, it's three or four, depending on whether you are still their dependent. (There's also the ability to list you 'partially.' on the I-134.)

We went by the most recent tax return claiming of dependents (though that's not foolproof, of course). My parents aren't planning on helping with housing or giving us money; while they'd not let us starve in an emergency, that's not regular support.

Anyone else's thoughts?

Edited by Caladan

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Would anyone say, when the time comes, it is a good idea to give other supplementary information about your situation just to sort of show them that you're going to be okay? I mean, our plan is really that my fiance (soon wife after she arrives) will live with me in my apartment, which is already paid for either by my company or by student loans (depending on the approval time). So we don't need to pay rent. Also, I can't see our cost of living being that much higher - as far as food goes, its hard to eat for one person without things spoiling. If anything, living with her will make things more efficient for me, and my food is also covered by student loans/internship money - so its sort of like hers will be too. Four months after she comes, I'll start working full time with hopefully a good salary (at least, it will definitely be able to support 2 people at 125% of the poverty scale). Until then, I will have earned enough in the summer to get by (my summer job, if it were annual, would also definitely put us in the green for money). My fiance also will have saved up quite a bit. And while I'm in school I work enough to pay electricity, internet, and...well...and more food than one person can ever eat without throwing out (I really feel sad to see my food go to waste all the time - I start resorting to all frozen vegetables for this reason - and frozen vegetables make me even more sad).

I know that the most important thing is to show its all good with the sponsors/co-sponsors. But would that information be helpful to them as well? Heh, I guess we will need some extra money for her to buy more shoes and stuff...or something...because she buys lots of shoes. But is that a concern of USCIS? I feel strange. I think I live extremely well, yet far below 125% of the poverty level for one person in what I actually spend (minus tuition for university). I think the poverty level may be too high! Maybe I'm crazy.

One more question - who is the BEST person to ask about this? Should I make an appointment to see someone from USCIS in person and ask them? Or are they not really helpful?

Thanks!

-Tim

• September 17, 2005 - Florence and Tim met in Hong Kong for first time
    May 27, 2006 - Tim left Hong Kong to study in Beijing
    July 8, 2006 - Tim returned to Hong Kong to annoy Florence
    August 8, 2006 - Tim had to go back to school in U.S.
    December 18, 2006 - Tim returned to Hong Kong to spend holidays with Florence
    January 6, 2007 - Florence accepted Tim's begging plea to marry him and had engagement dinner
    January 13, 2007 - Tim had to go back to school again :(
    January 15, 2007 - Started putting together all the documents for the I-129F filing
    January 18, 2007 - Sent to Nebraska Service Center via overnight USPS - expensive :( - but fast :)
    January 24, 2007 - NOA1 Issued
    January 27, 2007 - NOA1 Received by Mail
    May 1, 2007 - Touched
    May 1, 2007 - NOA2
    May 2, 2007 - Touched
    May 13, 2007 - Tim went to HK to visit Florence
    May 22, 2007 - Package sent from NVC to HK Consulate
    June 6, 2007 - Florence received packet 3
    June 8, 2007 - Florence finished filling out packet 3
    June 9. 2007 - Florence went for medical exam and to request police certificate
    June 16, 2007 - Florence got interview scheduling letter from HK Consulate
    July 12, 2007 - Interview at Hong Kong Consulate for Florence, successful
    July 22, 2007 - Florence came to U.S.
    September 15, 2007 - We had our wedding!
    Now working on the AOS papers.

The poverty level may be too high, because when you don't make any money, but have student loans or someone else pay your rent, you live comfortably as a single person? Think that a bit through more before you go writing your Congressman. ;) I say this as a graduate student; students live in a bubble and single students more so. I live very well on a low income, but I have my health care subsidized, free gym membership, and tuition waived, and no expectation that I'll have a car (so I don't have one, and no payments or parking or insurance.)

In any case, the consulate (oddly enough) doesn't care whether you live within your means or have oodles of credit card debt or student loans; the I-134 looks at income, employment situation, savings... well, you can look at the form yourself, but they don't care about whether you're good at budgeting or are putting your spouse on a shoe allowance or are really good with money.

If you don't meet the 125% level, line up a co-sponsor. They don't care about your money management skills. :)

AOS

-

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline
The poverty level may be too high, because when you don't make any money, but have student loans or someone else pay your rent, you live comfortably as a single person? Think that a bit through more before you go writing your Congressman. ;) I say this as a graduate student; students live in a bubble and single students more so. I live very well on a low income, but I have my health care subsidized, free gym membership, and tuition waived, and no expectation that I'll have a car (so I don't have one, and no payments or parking or insurance.)

In any case, the consulate (oddly enough) doesn't care whether you live within your means or have oodles of credit card debt or student loans; the I-134 looks at income, employment situation, savings... well, you can look at the form yourself, but they don't care about whether you're good at budgeting or are putting your spouse on a shoe allowance or are really good with money.

If you don't meet the 125% level, line up a co-sponsor. They don't care about your money management skills. :)

Hi! I have a question that no one has been able to answer. I'm a graduate student, I have a fellowship with a stipend (I don't know if you're familiar but its not a loan and it covers my tutition, plus a taxable stipend check directly to me that is above the annual 125% poverty guideline.) I don't have a income tax from the last 3 years, but I will file for 2006 and beyond. My fellowship is a contract, so I will be receiving the stipend check for the next 3 years. Also the Fellowship program will provide me with a letter to accompany my I-134. Think I'll be okay? know where I can find out or have personal experience? I'm not sure my parent woulc co sponsor even if it is just on paper.

I'm a grad student, too, with the same sort of package (except that I'm off fellowship now, so I do have an tax return). I went to my departmental registrar, who referred me to the financial aid office at the graduate school, who were able to write me a letter that verified that 1) I am a student in good standing 2) that I receive a guaranteed stipend or teaching assignment. I got two copies of the letter on letterhead.

Your school probably does this all the time for international students who want to bring their spouses along on a J-2, so if the registrar doesn't know what to do, call your office of international student affairs (or whatever they call it.) They'd probably be able to advise you on what to do.

AOS

-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.