london2014

Obamacare for 71 yr old Diabetic?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

I am hoping I can get some help here as I am seriously confused. My husband is 71 and has diabetes but only has to take the pills for it no injections. I have been online and looking for insurance and he wont be eligible to purchase Medicare for 5 yrs as he will be going over on a green card/IR1 visa. I have been speaking to an insurance company in the US and they said he can get private coverage but he will need to be a US resident for 6 months before getting covered. I have been reading on here that LPR can be covered under Obamacare. Are there certain states that choose to partake in Obamacare? Sorry if I sound stupid but I am feeling extremely stupid right now!

If he is eligible for Obamacare who do you contact? I tried to get a quote on the New Mexico marketplace site but it only quotes ages up to 64! I might be able to get him insurance as I am trying to get re-employed by my current employer here but it wont be for at least a month and he will need something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is seriously doing my head in.

I-130/IR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London:
8th Nov 2005 - Married in USA

16th Mar 2006 - Moved to London

22nd Feb 2008 - Received ILR
11th Apr 2014 - I-130 filed

14th April 2014 - NOA1

21st May 2014 - NOA2

30th May 2014 - Packet 3 received with LND #

(Intentionally delaying a bit due to work commitments)

You should be able to get the answers to your questions on the heathcare.gov website. https://www.healthcare.gov/

Here is the section for immigrants. https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/

Edited by Teddy B

Hi,

I am hoping I can get some help here as I am seriously confused. My husband is 71 and has diabetes but only has to take the pills for it no injections. I have been online and looking for insurance and he wont be eligible to purchase Medicare for 5 yrs as he will be going over on a green card/IR1 visa. I have been speaking to an insurance company in the US and they said he can get private coverage but he will need to be a US resident for 6 months before getting covered. I have been reading on here that LPR can be covered under Obamacare. Are there certain states that choose to partake in Obamacare? Sorry if I sound stupid but I am feeling extremely stupid right now!

If he is eligible for Obamacare who do you contact? I tried to get a quote on the New Mexico marketplace site but it only quotes ages up to 64! I might be able to get him insurance as I am trying to get re-employed by my current employer here but it wont be for at least a month and he will need something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is seriously doing my head in.

Yes as soon as he is a LPR he is eligible. My wife is an LPR and has Obama care. All you have to do is got to healthcare.gov and sign him up, once he is eligible. His current medical condtion does not matter. The cost is based on household income. Open enrollment starts next month

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like you need to call.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Call the marketplace. Hopefully they aren't as incompetent as MNSure.

Yes they are trust me. The average person I dealt with, was probably pushing pictures on a McDonald's cash register last year this time

Timeline

Yes they are trust me. The average person I dealt with, was probably pushing pictures on a McDonald's cash register last year this time

Are there age restrictions for Obamacare - I was looking for a phone # to see if I could contact someone on the healthcare.gov site but cant locate a number. Did you just call the marketplace state site? Was your wife covered immediately or had you guys been a resident for at least 6 mos?

14th April 2014 - NOA1

21st May 2014 - NOA2

Are there age restrictions for Obamacare - I was looking for a phone # to see if I could contact someone on the healthcare.gov site but cant locate a number. Did you just call the marketplace state site? Was your wife covered immediately or had you guys been a resident for at least 6 mos?

If you are legal you are eligible. All you have to do is sign up on the website.

It's so easy a caveman can do it.

In fact your odds are better than engaging one of the script readers on the phone.

Example.

Ma'am my wifes Birthday is wrong.

Ok, I just deleted her application, you can now reapply

Ma'am my policy just went up 75 a month and my deductible reset.

It does that sometimes, we don't rightly know why.

No joking-really

1-800-318-2596 The number

Good luck

Edited by The Nature Boy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There are no age limits. You are required to have cover

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

If you are legal you are eligible. All you have to do is sign up on the website.

It's so easy a caveman can do it.

In fact your odds are better than engaging one of the script readers on the phone.

Example.

Ma'am my wifes Birthday is wrong.

Ok, I just deleted her application, you can now reapply

Ma'am my policy just went up 75 a month and my deductible reset.

It does that sometimes, we don't rightly know why.

No joking-really

1-800-318-2596 The number

Good luck

Thanks will ring them up tomorrow and see what they have to say.

14th April 2014 - NOA1

21st May 2014 - NOA2

I can't believe how frequently the mess up applications. They recently enrolled a metric effton of people incorrectly and then told them all to call us to get their coverage straightened out.

:bonk:

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

I can't believe how frequently the mess up applications. They recently enrolled a metric effton of people incorrectly and then told them all to call us to get their coverage straightened out.

:bonk:

It's amazing. They messed up my wife's Birthday. Of course no claims were getting paid. I call BCBS and get passed around like a drunk girl at a frat party. I get told it's fixed when it isn't. Then I get passed off to the exchange because BCBS says they can't fix it.

After 2 months and repeated promises by the exchange to fix it, included being told it had been sent to escalated support and a promise to fix it within a week. A McDonalds reject deleted her application, put us in special period enrollment. My deductible went up, my premium went up and my deductible reset. When i complained. The answer was- It jsut do that sometimes, we's don't know why. That was that. Nothing I could do.

I did switch since I was in open enrollment from the BCBS HMO, because it had no doctors and covered nothing. Humuna is better,

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

There are no age limits but you may have to jump through hoops to get someone over 65 covered without paying a bazillion dollar premium. A lot of it depends on the state you live in. The system is set up (at least last year it was) to funnel people over 65 into medicare.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Whoa whoa whoa...HUMANA IS BETTER?!

Humana only offers PPOs here and they are absolute dog doodoo. BCBS > * here. They have a cost plan that's a $109/mo premium and there's not a single co-pay for any service.

ANY SERVICE.

Do you know how geeked out I am that I get to talk about insurance?

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

Timeline

It's amazing. They messed up my wife's Birthday. Of course no claims were getting paid. I call BCBS and get passed around like a drunk girl at a frat party. I get told it's fixed when it isn't. Then I get passed off to the exchange because BCBS says they can't fix it.

After 2 months and repeated promises by the exchange to fix it, included being told it had been sent to escalated support and a promise to fix it within a week. A McDonalds reject deleted her application, put us in special period enrollment. My deductible went up, my premium went up and my deductible reset. When i complained. The answer was- It jsut do that sometimes, we's don't know why. That was that. Nothing I could do.

I did switch since I was in open enrollment from the BCBS HMO, because it had no doctors and covered nothing. Humuna is better,

When you completed the application online I am assuming you used the SS# number or did you spouse get a temporary A number or something? I am on the Healthcare.gov site and was trying to get info but they are asking for his social which clearly I dont have.

14th April 2014 - NOA1

21st May 2014 - NOA2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.