J&D_anon

December filers....

858 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Karoline,

did Paul get his SSN already?

Could you maybe short tell me, how you applied for it and how long it will take to get it?!

We wanted to get married in June, but of what I just read it will take 4 weeks total for me to have the SSN and then it will take the time for the marriage license.... :( seems longer than expected, I would love to hear from you, that it doesn't take THAT long :yes:

Thanks,

Diana

You don't need to have a SSN to get married -or to get a marriage license. I have been doing some research on the AOS forum and it seems to be it is best to wait at least 2 weeks after entry to apply for the SSN. But, assuming you wait the two weeks, it doesn't seem like it takes that long to get it. But yeah, you don't have to wait to get the SSN to get married!!!

No worries!

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

@Marina

Are you sure about that? It might not vary from state to state? John and I read something about applying for a marriage license in Florida and it said that they want the SSN from both...or just from both IF they are available??

It would be even better, if we wouldn't have to wait that long :D John and I can't wait to be Mr. and Mrs. :dance:

Diana

@Marina

Are you sure about that? It might not vary from state to state? John and I read something about applying for a marriage license in Florida and it said that they want the SSN from both...or just from both IF they are available??

It would be even better, if we wouldn't have to wait that long :D John and I can't wait to be Mr. and Mrs. :dance:

Diana

In Texas you need a SS #/Card to get married =( Other states too.. (Here's a handy link)

Here's the poop - you/we'll need to wait 10 days once entering the POE before filing/applying for the SS card (so you show up in their system), then it takes 2-4 weeks (even 'they' will tell you this) so it might be sooner, and of course, might be longer.

I (the good ole USC) went recently to get a new/re-issued card - they told me the same 2-4 weeks, but got it in about 2 weeks (give or take a day or so).

The SS Admin office (in Austin) has a sign stating the 10-day 'rule' - saying you can apply on the 10th day - sooner may result in a delay and/or having to reapply.

~Otto

Timeline

Florida:

ID Requirement: Picture ID such as a driver's license and your Social Security card or a valid passport number or I-94 card.

Well....I hope that's true...that would just be GREAT!!!!

Diana

Timeline
In Texas you need a SS #/Card to get married =( Other states too.. (Here's a handy link)

Here's the poop - you/we'll need to wait 10 days once entering the POE before filing/applying for the SS card (so you show up in their system), then it takes 2-4 weeks (even 'they' will tell you this) so it might be sooner, and of course, might be longer.

I (the good ole USC) went recently to get a new/re-issued card - they told me the same 2-4 weeks, but got it in about 2 weeks (give or take a day or so).

The SS Admin office (in Austin) has a sign stating the 10-day 'rule' - saying you can apply on the 10th day - sooner may result in a delay and/or having to reapply.

~Otto

I called the county clerk here in Houston (who issues the marriage license), and she said that we don't have to have Paul's SSN to get a marriage license. I explained our situation, and she said that they waive the SSN requirement for situations like ours and it was no problem. We're getting our marriage license on Monday. She also said that he just needs to bring his (German) passport as identification. I think it is a state by state requirement, but from what I've read from other posts on the topic other states will also usually waive the requirement if you explain the situation or if you let them know that you are applying for the SSN.

Good luck!

Karoline

1996: Paul and I met in Germany

10.18.06: We got engaged! :D

12.05.06: NOA1 for I-129F

05.04.07: Interview-- Visa Approved!!!!

05.09.07: Visa Received!!!!

05.14.07: Paul is home!!!!

06.08.07: Wedding!!!! We're married, we're married! Woohoo!

06.21.07: Sent AOS, AP, and EAD applications to USCIS

06.23.07: AOS package received in Chicago

06.28.07: NOA for AOS, AP, and EAD

07.10.07: Received notice for biometrics appointment

08.02.07: Biometrics Appointment

09.20.07: AOS interview

11.15.07: Green Card received

11.05.09: Removal of Conditions package sent to VSC

11.09.09: Package received at VSC

11.12.09: Check cashed

~Otto

I called the county clerk here in Houston (who issues the marriage license), and she said that we don't have to have Paul's SSN to get a marriage license. I explained our situation, and she said that they waive the SSN requirement for situations like ours and it was no problem. We're getting our marriage license on Monday. She also said that he just needs to bring his (German) passport as identification. I think it is a state by state requirement, but from what I've read from other posts on the topic other states will also usually waive the requirement if you explain the situation or if you let them know that you are applying for the SSN.

Good luck!

Karoline

Well that makes me double-happy.... yippie...happy for you guys, and selfishly happy to learn this for us - as we are hoping for a 07/07 marriage date (which would've been a close call if we had to wait for the SS).... am calling the Clerk's office in Austin today... Thanks for the tip...

Tips like that will get you a free round of sweet tea when we finally meet up... :thumbs:

~Otto

Good luck!

Karoline

Well that makes me double-happy.... yippie...happy for you guys, and selfishly happy to learn this for us - as we are hoping for a 07/07 marriage date (which would've been a close call if we had to wait for the SS).... am calling the Clerk's office in Austin today... Thanks for the tip...

Tips like that will get you a free round of sweet tea when we finally meet up... :thumbs:

Hello guys! It seems like all of us are busy with so many things. :yes: Well, I'm busy too biting my nails, err... I mean to say preparing my papers for the interview. :lol: It's getting closer and closer and I'm getting anxious and excited each day.

@ Diana,

It's less than a week for you so I've started sending good vibes your way. Good luck sis! Bring home that visa! :dance::thumbs:

To the rest of us who will go through the interview, may we all be successful! :thumbs:

I hope to get married 07/07/07 too... :whistle: There will be a lot of anniversary celebrations in VJ community. :lol:

Bye for now all!

*hugs* *hugs* *hugs*

Mae

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

hiya fellow december filers!!! we are getting closer my fiance and i have sent off packet 3 (he completed his medical too) so now we just wait with baited breath to see when we get an interview.

congrats to everyone for surviving this incredibly frustating journey!

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Timeline
Hello guys! It seems like all of us are busy with so many things. :yes: Well, I'm busy too biting my nails, err... I mean to say preparing my papers for the interview. :lol: It's getting closer and closer and I'm getting anxious and excited each day.

@ Diana,

It's less than a week for you so I've started sending good vibes your way. Good luck sis! Bring home that visa! :dance::thumbs:

To the rest of us who will go through the interview, may we all be successful! :thumbs:

I hope to get married 07/07/07 too... :whistle: There will be a lot of anniversary celebrations in VJ community. :lol:

Bye for now all!

*hugs* *hugs* *hugs*

Mae

Hey Mae,

yeah, I am very busy with getting rid of my household, packing more boxes, preparing the papers over and over again and all of that stuff. I can't believe that I will be in my babys arms when you'll have your interview!!! But I will send you good vibes too for sure :thumbs: :thumbs:

Interview is tuesday and today in exactly 2 weeks, I will be with my baby...FINALLY AND FOREVERRRRR!!!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Diana

Timeline

Mae & Diana,

I'm thinking of you two!!! It's so close now and being together makes it all worth it!!! We went to the marriage license and social security office this week. It was only 8 days after Paul entered the US but the social security office already had him in the system so he will receive his card soon we hope. Now, we're just counting down the days until our wedding. I am sooooo happy and cannot wait.

Best wishes,

Karoline

1996: Paul and I met in Germany

10.18.06: We got engaged! :D

12.05.06: NOA1 for I-129F

05.04.07: Interview-- Visa Approved!!!!

05.09.07: Visa Received!!!!

05.14.07: Paul is home!!!!

06.08.07: Wedding!!!! We're married, we're married! Woohoo!

06.21.07: Sent AOS, AP, and EAD applications to USCIS

06.23.07: AOS package received in Chicago

06.28.07: NOA for AOS, AP, and EAD

07.10.07: Received notice for biometrics appointment

08.02.07: Biometrics Appointment

09.20.07: AOS interview

11.15.07: Green Card received

11.05.09: Removal of Conditions package sent to VSC

11.09.09: Package received at VSC

11.12.09: Check cashed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Hey Everybody,

Mauricio had his interview on the 21st but we were missing one paper. We now have the paper that we were missing and are going back to the embassy the 29th. They told us that all we had to do was bring the document and they would approve the visa. Now I have to change our flight to the 3rd :girlwerewolf2xn:

Will update on Tuesday

Elizabeth

(Texas)Elizabeth y Mauricio(Nicaragua)

~I refuse to give COINCIDENCE glory for anything that God does in my life. -Alicia ~

K1:

Dec-23-06: Elizabeth mails 129f to TSC

Jan-03-07: NOA1 snail mail from CSC

Mar-29-07: NOA2!!!

May-07-07: Mauricio picks up Packet 3 at Embassy in Managua

May-21-07: interview-Paper missing :(

May-29-07: at embassy again with missing paper - APPROVED!!!

Jun-01-07: pick up visa at embassy

Jun-03-07: ARRIVED HOME WITH MY BABY AT LAST!!!

Jun-30-07: wedding

AOS & EAD:

Jul-27-07: mailed AOS & EAD, USPS nextday

Jul-28-07: received at Chicago lockbox

Sep-04-07: NOAs received by mail

Sep-27-07: RFE- need a co-sponser :(

Sep-28-07: Biometric Appointment

Oct-17-07: Card production ordered!

Oct-29-07: received EAD card in mail!

Feb-14-08: AOS approved

Apr-23-08: Green Card received!!!

.png

congrats eli and mauri!

ROC Timeline

18 NOV 2010 Sent 1.8lb packet to USCIS in Laguna Niguel (day 1)

19 NOV 2010 Package signed for V SEMEGI (day 2)

24 NOV 2010 Package returned because USC didn't sign petition (day 6)

calendar reset

26 NOV 2010 Package sent out again (day 1)

29 NOV 2010 Package signed for by V SEMEGI (day 3)

29 NOV 2010 NOA1 issued (day 3)

03 DEC 2010 Hardcopy of NOA received (day 7)

07 JAN 2011 Successful walk in biometrics (day 42) original date 1 FEB

01 MAR 2011 Date on Approval notice (although it arrived after the card did) (day 94)

03 MAR 2011 Card received (day 96)

Timeline
Hey Everybody,

Mauricio had his interview on the 21st but we were missing one paper. We now have the paper that we were missing and are going back to the embassy the 29th. They told us that all we had to do was bring the document and they would approve the visa. Now I have to change our flight to the 3rd :girlwerewolf2xn:

Will update on Tuesday

Elizabeth

Damn....sorry to hear that...but at least you know that you'll get approved!!!

And check this out.....we'll get the visa at the same day :D

sooooooooooooooooooon :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Diana

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
@Marina

Diana

~Otto

This link may be outdated. I looked under Missouri (where I live) and they had all kinds of craziness on there about social security cards and taxe, and applying a month before.

When Andre and I went in June of last year, They wanted his birth certificate, passport, and A#. From me all they wanted was my driver's license and birth certificate. It took 3 days to get it back.

Call your individual marriage license office and ask.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We are just stuck. We are waiting for the police cert. I'm wanting just to return the check list and get an interview. It sounds like if he doesn't have it by the interview he can bring it to them later. My SO wants to wait a little while longer.

EEEEEE! *head spinning* I feel like the only December filer with out an interview. I think we should take the gamble and send in the check list. Opinions please!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.