67 posts in this topic

What State do you live in? Some will allow you to drive for one year on your Canadian license. Check the website of your State's License branch and it should say something about canadian DL's

some people think they can drive for certain amount of time based on the rules for a visitor, but you need to follow the rules of a new resident when you enter on a K-1, even if you do not have federal legal residence yet. This has gotten more than one K-1 entrant into trouble.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

some people think they can drive for certain amount of time based on the rules for a visitor, but you need to follow the rules of a new resident when you enter on a K-1, even if you do not have federal legal residence yet. This has gotten more than one K-1 entrant into trouble.

really??!! yikes! guess we got lucky! thanks for the correction!! :oops:

really??!! yikes! guess we got lucky! thanks for the correction!! :oops:

I'm glad you didn't get stopped! Because this is so often a confused issue, I like to clarify it for people so they reduce their likelihood of finding this out the hard way. :)

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Yes you generally need at least your EAD to get a driver's license. California is even more strict and make you do the driver's tests etc again.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Just look up the requirements for new residents, I believe some States have easier license requirements for Canadians, not that hard anyway.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just look up the requirements for new residents, I believe some States have easier license requirements for Canadians, not that hard anyway.

OP is in California.

you and I are in Colorado.

It was super easy here; not so much there.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I thought the test standard was pretty similar.

Colorado issues licenses to those here illegally, I think CA will as well.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I didn't have to test, just a transfer the license just as like it's out of state.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I`m from ontario, cananda moved to PA.... My canadian lisences expired so, I`m SOL on that as well.

I`ll just figure it out, I`m sure we can get the money together to apply for the greencard asap.

All I`ve got to do is fill all the forms out and send my cheque in of 1000+, correct?

AoS gives you legal status, and gets the ball rolling on your immigration process. You'll get a work permit within ninety days. Together with your Social Security card, you can use those to get an ID / driver license at your state DMV, open a bank account, work legally, et cetera.

If it's a money thing, just get the money as soon as possible, since the whole process can be long due to backlog. Don't wait too long, and don't risk getting out of status after ninety days.

And I echo what others have said—file for AP with your EAD so that you can travel abroad before you get your green card. I believe it's free if filed for alongside the EAD.

Timeline

Alright, well, I`m just looking at the forms on the he USCIS site, I`m a little confused as to what I am putting together...

I think I`ll get this done this week, and hopefully once my Mat leave finally process over here, I`ll send it all in. Like I said early, I don`t plan on working but, I`ll apply for it anyway if I can work. I already did my social. But, I will file for AP as well, if that can all get done in 90 days, I`ll be able to bring my little guy back home for a visit to his Oma .

So, am I just getting everything together under this link, will it include my AP and EAD?

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-through-family/green-card-through-special-categories-family/k-nonimmigrant

Timeline

never mind, I think I found everything I will need to apply for everything right here on the site...

I would just like to take the time to thank everyone that`s given me information and helpped a long the way. I dont know what I would do with all of you have been through the process.. And Im not going to lie, Im a little scared for the up coming interviews

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

this may be helpful for you... Looks like only France and Germany may transfer their license in PA. You can ask if you can transfer your Canadian license. They may do it like they do an out of state, (all states are different for this.) I'm not sure why I thought you were in California. /brain fart!

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/pub195nc.pdf

K1 is on the list btw.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.