67 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

another question,

I hate to be annoying! I feel like I can`t find the answer through google, I must be googling wrong.

Some may know I`ve entered the US on k1. I have yet to file for adjustment of status yet. A lot of set backs so, we don`t have the funds just yet, almost but, not yet. Is there a statute of limitations on how long I`ve got to file for it? I know sooner the better, it can be a long process, but as of right now, am I not breaking any laws? or anything?

If so, Im totally screwed right now.

Edited by GermanCanadian89

I'm no expert but I recall a similar question recently on VJ. I believe the answer given by another poster was that you can apply for AoS at any time but after your ninety days it may be difficult to prove your legal status should you need to open a bank account, get an ID, et cetera.

I'm not sure what your legal status is until you have an NoA letter, but believe me that getting the EAD (work permit) is a huge benefit worth filing for ASAP.

With her EAD, my wife got her driver license and updated her Social Security card with her married name (she already had an SSN from before we met). With your state ID / driver license, you don't need to walk around with your foreign passport as identification, which can be a huge hassle to replace if lost or stolen.

File your AoS!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not quite true - you have 90 days to marry after entering on the K1...when you file AOS is not time driven.

For obvious reasons filing it promptly is to the persons's advantage because they are out of official status after the 90 day mark

Presumably the OP has married or will within the 90 days?

You have 90 to marry and file AOS.

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

You have 90 to marry and file AOS.

Incorrect. You have 90 days to marry.

You can file the AoS anytime after you're married so long as you're married within that 90 days.

As the previous poster stated you'll be accumulating 'unauthorized stay' time after the 90 days, but all is forgiven so long as you file the AoS. Many people don't file until after the 90 days and it's not an uncommon scenario.

However if you get detained by ICE or the border patrol, they can try and deport you, with a lawyer's hired assistance, you'll simply get ordered to file within X amount of time. Unlikely that it'll be an issue unless you live on the border and your husband/wife goes off without you. :)

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

I'm not sure what your legal status is until you have an NoA letter, but believe me that getting the EAD (work permit) is a huge benefit worth filing for ASAP.

The status would be staying without authorization when the I-94 expires. This is not a legal status to be in the USA, but hardly uncommon with K-1 entrants either. Easily fixed, but you don't want to do it the hard way by being picked up.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Incorrect. You have 90 days to marry.

You can file the AoS anytime after you're married so long as you're married within that 90 days.

As the previous poster stated you'll be accumulating 'unauthorized stay' time after the 90 days, but all is forgiven so long as you file the AoS. Many people don't file until after the 90 days and it's not an uncommon scenario.

However if you get detained by ICE or the border patrol, they can try and deport you, with a lawyer's hired assistance, you'll simply get ordered to file within X amount of time. Unlikely that it'll be an issue unless you live on the border and your husband/wife goes off without you. :)

Well its not wrong, its just an incomplete answer, which makes it sound a bit scary. The last immigration bill under discussion of congress, which went nowhere of course, has a provision which would require applying to adjust status within 6 months. So I think more than one person has seen the indefinite period to apply to adjust status as a problem and it might end up being a closed ended option.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

at leat one person on here up in Jail having being picked up after 90 days.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Perhaps you not need to worry so much about not applying for aos immediately after marrying but more about what happens should you need to get back into Canada should the need arise. This was the case for us. I was worried that something would come up and I could not return because we delayed the aos process. Sure you can apply for ap but that may not something you can do if you haven't applied for aos. We didn't get that far in the process, hence did the ir1/cr1 route.

You may want to reconsider how long you put off aos'ing I'd you need to return to canada in the near future.

USCIS
30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

NVC
30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!

POE-??

Timeline

Alright, I think I`m understanding a little more.

Basically, if I need to go back home, I`m a little screwed because, I can`t return on the visa.

If I get caught by border control; I get detained but, what are the odds of that happening? Im not crossing the border or anything like that.

Another issue that was just brought to my attention, I was able to get my social, I just went to do my permit, and this is why I asked this question because, they asked if I was in the process of adjusting my status. So, without being in the process of AOS, bascially I won`t get my drivers license? Because they said they have to send everything off to DHS now, and I`ll hear from them in 3 weeks in regards to, if I will be able to obtain my DL... I really don`t have time for this! I have a new born here, this is such an inconviences. Why do they have to make it so difficult! And it`s not like I can drive in this state with my Candian license because, they have a law against that! (OMG!)

There are no legal consequences of not filing AOS immideitaley but, there are other issues now. IE, State ID or DL

I guess I should start filling those forms out. What does AOS do? I really dont know my next steps after K1. My husband I spoke about work, I`m not working for a while so, I`m not too worried about that. I just want to be able to stay here, Legally, that`s all. I don`t want to get in trouble for anything.

Edited by GermanCanadian89

Alright, I think I`m understanding a little more.

Basically, if I need to go back home, I`m a little screwed because, I can`t return on the visa.

If I get caught by border control; I get detained but, what are the odds of that happening? Im not crossing the border or anything like that.

Another issue that was just brought to my attention, I was able to get my social, I just went to do my permit, and this is why I asked this question because, they asked if I was in the process of adjusting my status. So, without being in the process of AOS, bascially I won`t get my drivers license? Because they said they have to send everything off to DHS now, and I`ll hear from them in 3 weeks in regards to, if I will be able to obtain my DL... I really don`t have time for this! I have a new born here, this is such an inconviences. Why do they have to make it so difficult! And it`s not like I can drive in this state with my Candian license because, they have a law against that! (OMG!)

There are no legal consequences of not filing AOS immideitaley but, there are other issues now. IE, State ID or DL

I guess I should start filling those forms out. What does AOS do? I really dont know my next steps after K1. My husband I spoke about work, I`m not working for a while so, I`m not too worried about that. I just want to be able to stay here, Legally, that`s all. I don`t want to get in trouble for anything.

Technically you have not been here legally once your I-94 expired. That was your original authorization to be in the USA with your K-1, and you were legally authorized to be here for 90 days in order to marry and apply to adjust status. And there are legal consequences should you get picked up. ie.. you'll be detained, you'll need to hire a lawyer, you'll be sent to immigration court. The last K-1 to report getting picked up here, well their USC spouse reported it as her husband was in lock up yet, reported her husband had taken a bus and ICE just happened to make a sweep and check the bus as many illegal immigrants ride public transportation. How likely this is depends on where you live. I know a K-1 immigrant on VJ who was taking a bus from Ohio to NYC and the bus was stopped and people where checked, some were removed from the bus and detained. She had adjusted status, so she was OK.

AOS gets you your green card, which makes you a legal resident of the USA. Also apply for the EAD and AP. Those two are free when you file at the same time as applying for the green card.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Alright, I guess we'll need to get this done asap! I don't plan on riding transit so, I think I'll be okay for another month. Money's been super tight and, we're just getting back on our feet. And my Mat Leave finally came last friday -- that was applied for back in May, what a headace that was!

I guess, if it's free, i'll apply for a EAD but, I guess I just won't be working. I thought they're separate forms with two fees.

Thanks everyone!

Alright, I guess we'll need to get this done asap! I don't plan on riding transit so, I think I'll be okay for another month. Money's been super tight and, we're just getting back on our feet. And my Mat Leave finally came last friday -- that was applied for back in May, what a headace that was! I guess, if it's free, i'll apply for a EAD but, I guess I just won't be working. I thought they're separate forms with two fees. Thanks everyone!

And the Advance parole just in case you need to make a trip back to Canada! Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Its always a headache dealing with any government office! You should see what its like dealing with the government in my wife's country. My lord, I don't really complain near as much about the USA's after learning how things work there!

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

What State do you live in? Some will allow you to drive for one year on your Canadian license. Check the website of your State's License branch and it should say something about canadian DL's

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.