muffinman007

software to help out the community?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I'm a computer programming student and I want to know what kind of software the community need or would like to see that will help this community/other out?

I want to put my knoweldge to good use especially helping others out. I wish not to/do not/will not profit from any suggestion/ideas.

This community had helped me with the process of bringing my wife over and I want to give back and more.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Topic has been moved from Off Topic to Site Discussion as a more appropriate location for this discussion

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi muffinman007! Thank you for your offer! I've actually had a few ideas on improving the site and have been needing some expert help. I'll PM you the details if you are interested. Check your PM!

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Timeline

Topic has been moved from Off Topic to Site Discussion as a more appropriate location for this discussion

Thank you for moving the post to the approaite place.

I am a hobbyist programmer myself, what language will you guys be writing in?

Also any "apps" that are produced will they be cross platform etc.

Happy and willing to assist in any way just give me a shout :D

Erica & Ross

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Engaged ~ 5.29.2014

Interview ~ 4.24.2015 ~ Approved!!!!

POE Date ~ 5.31.2015

I Do ~ 6.19.2015 :wub:

Sent AOS / EAD /AP ~ 8.22.2015

NOA 1 ~ 8.28.2015

Bio Metrics ~ 9.24.2015

Timeline

currently my area of interest is C#/.net 4.5

I know a bit of c and am studying c++11 standard.

App should be as cross-platform as possible.

We should start brainstorming what this app should do, what kind of difficultly this app will help other resolved.

Timeline

do you have visual studio 2012 or 2013?

once you finish with those dummy books i recommend you to get your hand on "professional c# 5.0 and .net 4.5" by wrox or by apress. you'll learn even more advance stuff.

also for networking: TCP/IP Sockets in C#: Practical Guide for Programmers

For gui application learn Windows Forms application (plenty of tutorial on the net).

if possible focus on learning andiod/ios api

once you get comfortable you can use xamarin to dev mobile/desktop apps using c#

future your goal:

https://university.xamarin.com/certification

Edited by muffinman007

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

One post removed from thread, edited to remove personal contact information, and returned to thread as follows:

I have just started going through the C for Dummies and C# for Dummies books as well as some online sites as well.

My knowledge in them is limited but I am willing to learn so that I can help others.

I am also learning Android app development and wish to learn iPhone app development but as yet do not have a mac to start that curve.

As for what the app would involve,

I was thinkning that it could possibly link into VJ or link to a mobile version of VJ for quick and easy updates of timelines.

Also link it into the USCIS site so that you put in your Case Number and have it shown on your phone (have yet to go onto the site via mobile so unsure of the layout etc.

Personal information removed - VJ Moderation

What were your ideas?

Happy to discuss.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Thanks for the advice! To answer your question I have Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate.

Will get the books you have stated so I will have them when I get to that stage.

Erica & Ross

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Engaged ~ 5.29.2014

Interview ~ 4.24.2015 ~ Approved!!!!

POE Date ~ 5.31.2015

I Do ~ 6.19.2015 :wub:

Sent AOS / EAD /AP ~ 8.22.2015

NOA 1 ~ 8.28.2015

Bio Metrics ~ 9.24.2015

Timeline

while you're learning c# make sure you dl

http://www.linqpad.net/

it's a program that let's you run snippet of code without having to produce project files! it will aid in your learning greatly.

Learning how to use LinqPad is very easy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi muffinman007! Thank you for your offer! I've actually had a few ideas on improving the site and have been needing some expert help. I'll PM you the details if you are interested. Check your PM!

Visa journey has helped me a lot with my K1, AOS and ROC so I'd be happy to help out and give something back to the community ... I'm a software engineer, primarily do c# and c++ but I have some experience with web stuff, done a little php and javascript over the years.

Anyway, feel free to shoot me a PM if you need some extra input.

Timeline

I'm thinking of creating a c# software that help people communicate better and more secure as well as give people the abaility to log there conversion.

Another software to help check track the whole process, step by step, with guides/pointer/info.

I found a php script that allows user to txt message mobile device but i havn't test it out yet. if it does work maybe we convert it to a desktop version.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

One thing I have always thought was missing on here is the ability to slice and dice data about the unhappy path. How long refusals take to get back to USCIS, how long are reaffirms/denials taking, how long to the second interview and the success of 2nd interviews over 1st ones Most of the data is already in timelines.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.