Carms07

employment & ead

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Okay I'm officialy freaking out! So when I was doing all my studying up on AOS, EAD, AP etc....I clearly got that K-1 visa holders do not need EAD to work when they arrive in the US. So my husband got his SS, and DL and found a job that he could do in his sleep. Anyway now I'm getting the impression that it is not so. That he has to wait for an EAD and that he could only work until his I-94 expires. I could be absolutely wrong about the whole thing, but I dont want our AOS to get impacted by this, please some one give me some good news about this and tell me it isn't so.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

With a K-1 Visa, you are only work authorized if you received a temporary EAD stamp in your passport at the POE. This temporary work authorization is only valid for the time the I-94 is valid.

In order to work without the temporary EAD stamp, you must first obtain approval of the EAD (Form I-765) which you can apply for at the same time as AOS.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Timeline

A K1 enters the USA via JFK POE and gets a EAD stamp in the passport = they are authorised to work for the first 90 days then they should stop working until they have the 1 year EAD that they will have filed for along with AOS....

A K1 enters the USA and does not get EAD stamp = they do not have any evidence of EA to show an employer and can not work until they recieve their 1 year EAD file along with their AOS...

On a side note unauthorized work can be forgiven at AOS interview if you are married to a USC..

Hope this helps

Kez

Edited by Niagaenola

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On a side note unauthorized work can be forgiven at AOS interview if you are married to a USC..

Hope this helps

Kez

I swear I heard somewhere, even from like a uscia website, that is was perfectly okay...but man, was I wrong, anyway I really hope that it's true, so Im gonna call USCIS and find out for sure......gosh this is terrible. I even went as fas as to argue with someone that I was absolutetly sure a k-1 could work without EAD. Thanx.

Filed: Timeline

Yes a K1 visa is employment authorized but to comply with the requirements of the form I-9 you must have evidence of your EA.... that can be a EAD or a EA stamp in your passport... if you do not have the required evidence then your employer can get into big trouble... the SSA rules and USCIS rules are diffrent... as I said before unauthorized work if normaly forgiven at AOS interview...

Kez

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Yes a K1 visa is employment authorized but to comply with the requirements of the form I-9 you must have evidence of your EA.... that can be a EAD or a EA stamp in your passport... if you do not have the required evidence then your employer can get into big trouble... the SSA rules and USCIS rules are diffrent... as I said before unauthorized work if normaly forgiven at AOS interview...

Kez

Kez:

I was not aware of this fact. If this is so, then why does anybody worry about working before they get their EAD approved, or even one step further, why does anybody even bother applying for EAD?

Just curious.

Rayma

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.