minimarja

Driver's license - general question about driver's education course

8 posts in this topic

So, I've never had a driver's license and need to get one once we move to the States.

I know how to drive a car and have driven before, so that's not really an issue, just never had a license. I also tried the online written DMV test and passed it easily. I'm a grown up person in my late 20s.

I checked Virginia DMV site and it said:

If you are age 19 or older, and you have never held a driver's license issued by Virginia, another state, a U.S. territory, or foreign country, or cannot show proof that you previously held such a license, you must show proof that:

• you have passed an approved driver education course, or,
  • you have held a Virginia learner's permit at least 60 days before taking the DMV road skills test

Has anyone taken a driver education course in any state? Was it worth it or did you think learner's permit would be a better option?
While I know how to drive a car, I was wondering if the driver's ed would give me a better basis to safely drive than driving around with my spouse.
Thank you for your input!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

In my opinion the drivers ed course is the way to go. It will give you a better idea of road laws and fundamentals that will make it far easier when you actually do the tests that will be required for you to obtain the driver license. Unless your spouse is willing to critique your every wrong move, having a professional sitting next to you is the best way to properly learn to drive lawfully. Good luck.

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Consulate : Naples, Italy

Marriage : 2014-02-14

U S C I S

I-130 Sent : 2014-02-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2014-02-28

I-130 RFE : 2014-07-05

I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-07-07

I-130 Approved : 2014-07-16 :thumbs:

N V C

NVC Received : 2014-07-28

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-08-11

Pay AOS Bill : 2014-08-13

Send AOS Package : 2014-08-14

Scan AOS Package : 2014-08-18

Submit DS-261 : 2014-08-12

Receive IV Bill : 2014-09-11

Pay IV Bill : 2014-09-12

Send IV Package : 2014-09-09

Scan IV Package : 2014-09-10

DS-260 COMPLETE : 2014-09-15

Case Completed at NVC : 2014-10-17 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Interview Date Via Phone call to NVC: 2014-12-02

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter : 2014-11-03

Visa Approved: 2014-12-02

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Please, do yourself (and everyone else on the road a big favor :yes: ) and take an approved driver's education course. YMMV.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

I realize I should have formatted my question better, since I should know by now that people here often answer with malice.

Basically I know the laws, have driven a car in the U.S before etc. and judging by my friends' driving skills am far better driver than they are. I'm comfortable driving by myself and don't doubt for a second that I could pass the driving test.

What I wanted to know is if you get your money's worth with those driver's ed classes? Has anyone actually taken them and could share their opinions?

I'd hate to waste our limited funds, if I could easily be driving for two months with my spouse and then get the license.

Timeline

So sorry if you thought my response was with malice. BTW, malice is such a strong word, i.e. I meant you no ill will. My response was but an honest plea from the sea of other people you will likely encounter on our nation's roads. As a new driver in this country, you should afford yourself the best chance for a successful and uneventful driving experience. The chances of that occurring are more likely if you take a driver's education course.

As a matter of fact, my new immigrant wife took a driver's education class and got her license. Let us just say that our 20's were a few years ago... :lol:...We are both so thankful that she did. She feels that she is a safer and better driver as a consequence. She didn't even take my same non-malicious comment the wrong way. :rolleyes:

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Ok. Knowing more of your situation I would then change my opinion. I would say go the learners permit way. I think these classes are geared more for people to get acquainted with laws and fundamentals. If you are comfortable with your knowledge then I would save your money. I apologize if my opinion was malicious in any way. BTW I have been a professional driver for more than 20 years.

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Consulate : Naples, Italy

Marriage : 2014-02-14

U S C I S

I-130 Sent : 2014-02-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2014-02-28

I-130 RFE : 2014-07-05

I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-07-07

I-130 Approved : 2014-07-16 :thumbs:

N V C

NVC Received : 2014-07-28

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-08-11

Pay AOS Bill : 2014-08-13

Send AOS Package : 2014-08-14

Scan AOS Package : 2014-08-18

Submit DS-261 : 2014-08-12

Receive IV Bill : 2014-09-11

Pay IV Bill : 2014-09-12

Send IV Package : 2014-09-09

Scan IV Package : 2014-09-10

DS-260 COMPLETE : 2014-09-15

Case Completed at NVC : 2014-10-17 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Interview Date Via Phone call to NVC: 2014-12-02

Receive Instruction and Interview appointment letter : 2014-11-03

Visa Approved: 2014-12-02

Depends on the course and whom they cater to. I tried to find my wife a good driver's education school for both the written and road skills and was basically told to learn the material on-line. In CO anybody under 18 must go thru an approved education course with documentation to the amount of road time. All schools are geared towards that. Most do not know what to do with an adult that has never driven. I would recommend you find a school or private person that also speaks your spouse's native language. I did find a local person who did the early training who could speak Russian. Now my wife drives and I just sit there so she is legal. She has yet to take the driving test, but she will when she feels comfortable with her driving. Another thing to consider is the wear and tear of training a spouse could have on the marriage. For some this is not a problem and for others it has almost resulted in divorce.

If you can find a good driving school for new adult drivers, I would highly recommend at least one or two sessions at the very beginning and then move to the spouse finishing the training--i.e. sit in the right seat and keep your mouth shut :D.

Good luck,

Dave

Timeline

I was lucky my wife had driven in China, seems simple to me either get a learners permit or go to school. Good Luck with what ever you choose.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.