The Nature Boy

Brother and sister accused of incest in Effingham

149 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I don't think so, because I don't think its healthy for the government to pass laws that legitimise abuse. A father developing sexual feelings for his daughter (even if she's and adult) or siblings within the same family says to me that the nature of the relationship in the home was predatory. I don't think its healthy to legitimise a lifestyle that confuses the roles within the family when one of the parties in the relationship by definition has power over the other.

The only incest relationship I'm sympathetic to are the ones where people get together not knowing they are brother and sister. There was a couple like that I read about in Germany. The man went to jail for getting his sister/partner pregnant because that's the law. I don't think cases like that are worth prosecuting.

IDK, just because something is not explicitly illegal, doesn't mean that it's legitimised.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I dunno, some dudes like getting their balls stepped on. Who knows what's healthy. I think we have to let adults do what adults want with other adults. You can't go too far down the psycological path.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I dunno, some dudes like getting their balls stepped on. Who knows what's healthy. I think we have to let adults do what adults want with other adults. You can't go too far down the psycological path.

Sure, but then you're just avoiding thinking about the issues

Hey what's 6% percent between family?? Come over here sis!

We gonna make you a redneck yet

As I said there is a difference between submitting to something and consenting to it, even if on the surface they appear to be the same.

isn't that the matter of conjecture for many sexual assault/rape cases? it just seems hard to prove if the 'relationship' didn't begin until both/all parties were of legal age.

eta: kathryn harrison comes to mind, i was trying to remember her name..

Edited by val erie

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

isn't that the matter of conjecture for many sexual assault/rape cases? it just seems hard to prove if the 'relationship' didn't begin until both/all parties were of legal age.

eta: kathryn harrison comes to mind, i was trying to remember her name..

It is, but I think the fundamental point with incest is that the participants are part of a family power structure. I don't think a sexual relationship in that context can be anything but predatory because the participants aren't approaching it from a position of equality. Your parents are in a position of authority over you, siblings could be as well.

The danger of legalising incest is that it means that the victims of sexual abuse could have little recourse under the law because the issue becomes about proving consent (or lack of) and not whether the relationship was wrong to start with. In much the same way that its difficult to prove rape, do we want to open up victims of sex abuse in the family to that sort of nonsense?

What the hell is wrong with our society when the act of a brother and sister having sex is debatable?!? Morals and values are slowly disappearing from humanity. What makes humans human if we no longer have laws and socially acceptable behavior based on what is right and what is wrong? Incest and pedophilia will always be wrong!! And by giving leeway to any form of these practices it is a way to discredit the gravity of the act and how it affects victims. Their parents should be charged with failing their children in my opinion.

For crying out loud we are supposed to be an evolved and educated society.... lets start acting that way.

Edited by LiliBurd

''No matter how painful distance can be, not having you in my life would be worse''

August 16 2013: Started dating

July 6 2014: Got engaged! (L)

The danger of legalising incest is that it means that the victims of sexual abuse could have little recourse under the law because the issue becomes about proving consent (or lack of) and not whether the relationship was wrong to start with. In much the same way that its difficult to prove rape, do we want to open up victims of sex abuse in the family to that sort of nonsense?

this makes sense too. but i don't think that all incestuous relationships are predatory in nature.

Their parents should be charged with failing their children in my opinion.

that's a bit much.

and no one here is condoning incest or pedophilia simply by discussing it.