HexDa3m0n

Working on/after K-1

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Dont make a mistake of working in the US on a visa because if found out, that is reason enough to be deported, and too, I don't think any firm can risk being closed down by employing someone who hasn't been legalized to work, the only favor you can do yourself is make sure you hasten your process by getting married immediately n applying for SSN after 14days of your coming to the US and once you get your SSN card, immediately file your I765/I485 n other doc lick advance parole/travel doc but I'd advice u not to file Advance parole as even having the doc isn't reason to be readmitted back into the US, they may deny you re-admittence. So save yourself the trouble unless it is very necessary. When you are waiting for your SSN, fill out form I485/I765 and make sure to use the very same info as the one you used on your visa application, as any discrepancies are grounds for denial...

Also ive seen someone telling you that you can travel out of the US once you get your 2yr conditional green card. The thing is you can't, you will have to have an advance parole to do so, you can only travel on your unconditional 10yr green card which you get after being in the US for two yrs n 90days prior to the expiry of the 2yr green card you file another AOS to lift the conditions and a catchy thing is you have to be married to the same person who sponsored your visa, you are exempt from this if you were mistreated by your spouse n you divorced and can provide evidence.

You can help yourself by reading about this topics online...ive spent all the time since May when I came here to research on all this, and it is really hard n boring but come prepared to not drive or work for not less than three months...it took me three months before i could get a driving licence, and too be prepared for a good long boredom unless you like sitting around n doing nothing, but try to work underground.

Wow I won't go into your mistakes as Harpa has already pointed them out but it would appear that if you have been researching this since May and are this wrong then research is not your strong point shall we say! I did a CR1 and don't know a lot about the K1 I still apparently know more than you, which worries me (maybe I should do less reading myself lol), Plus your last sentence is a clear violation of VJ TOS.

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Harpa, n the rest who say my post is wrong, can you get to the USCIS website and read all the fine print, i have been through this and I know, and for the original poster of the question don't be misled, i have attached the two forms can you go through them and tell me if am wrong

Here is what a permanent resident needs to make trips outside of the US.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/international-travel-permanent-resident

From reading the CBP site a permanent reside needs to only apply for re-entry approval if they CANNOT get travel documents (passport) from their own country.

I also understand that a permanent resident only needs to fill out an I131 if they have had an extended period outside the US (6 months or more). But for re-entry say after a short vacation, all you need is your green card and passport,

Edited by 2ndMessiah

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am in the same situation as my company will want to transfer me to the corporate offices in case a vacancy is open before I get my K1, the company lawyer advised me to cancel the k1 process in case I get a job and they will provide me with a L1 visa.... She said I can get marry and adjust my status under the L visa.

Not sure how much trouble this can cause.

August, 2011: Met

June 23, 2012: In love!

July 11, 2014: I-129F Sent

July 15, 2014: Delivery confirmation USPS

July 18, 2014: NOA1 text / Check cashed / WAC !

July 22, 2014: Alien registration number changed

July 24, 2014: NOA1 hard copy

July 26 to Aug 13: Visited my love in Michigan (no problems at POE Detroit)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I agree with you disagreeing with me, but they say on their website(uscis) that advance parole does not guarantee being re admitted and too when you apply for the Advance Parole, on the form, you have to fill out the reason why you will be traveling, when you will be travelling, for how long you will be out of the country n so forth, so tell me how you know all this infor before hand, and too it takes 3 months to process advance parole....the solution to this is, wait till an emergency occurs and you have proof tha you need to actually leave before you apply because they ask for evidence, so unless you have evidence n everything figured out before hand dont try this.

Harpa, n the rest who say my post is wrong, can you get to the USCIS website and read all the fine print, i have been through this and I know, and for the original poster of the question don't be misled, i have attached the two forms can you go through them and tell me if am wrong

Your information is completely incorrect. Harpa already pointed out everything wrong with your misinformation, so I will just add here that someone applying for AP as an adjustment applicant does not have to fill out most of the form, which includes skipping part 4. No reason or explanation of why you want/need AP is required. None. No evidence is needed either. You only need evidence if you are asking for an expedite because of an emergency.

People should not wait until they have an emergency come up to apply. They would be much better off applying for AP from the start and getting the typical EAD/AP combo card that will allow them to work and travel and re-enter the US if they should want/need to while waiting for their green card approval. If it is a true emergency, it may be too late before they would get AP, if they followed your advice to wait.

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Working & Traveling During US Immigration - topic is work/travel ~

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Additionally, you do not need to wait for any emergency as a reason to travel... Putting visit family, honeymoon will suffice... Application for AP/EAD is free and usually takes 90 days...

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A very intersting topic, my wife has 2 yr. GC, AP/EAD, and we plan a cruise to Bahamas next month, and she does not have her passport, as it expired, and we traveled to another state, for the """Philippine Outreach Program",..,where they re-newed her pass port, and changed her name to her married name,

Does anyone see a problem if she has her 2 yr. GC, and AP/EAD.,.,.,but may have new passport from Philippine Embassy by the time we leave.

A very interesting discussion on this subject, enjoyed, reading and learning.,.,.,.,,.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Responses in red.

Telling someone to "work underground" is telling them to do illegal things, which is not allowed on this site.

And also stupid as that can get you deported and banned.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

If you plan to drive when you visit the United States, check the driving rules in the state(s) you'll be visiting to verify that you can use your non-U.S. driver's license. You should get an International Driving Permit (IDP), which translates the information contained on your official driver's license into 10 languages.

The United States does not issue International Driving Permits to foreign visitors, so you will need to obtain this document in your home country before you travel to the United States.

A very intersting topic, my wife has 2 yr. GC, AP/EAD, and we plan a cruise to Bahamas next month, and she does not have her passport, as it expired, and we traveled to another state, for the """Philippine Outreach Program",..,where they re-newed her pass port, and changed her name to her married name,

Does anyone see a problem if she has her 2 yr. GC, and AP/EAD.,.,.,but may have new passport from Philippine Embassy by the time we leave.

A very interesting discussion on this subject, enjoyed, reading and learning.,.,.,.,,.

Hi your wife will need a passport & her G/C if she intendeds to travel outside of the USA, as for the EAD/AP that's now redundant as her G/C supersedes it.

Brian

Edited by blk

AOS

Feb 3rd 2014 sent AOS pack I-130, I-485, 
Feb 17th 2014 Received NOA1 x 3 NOA1 date 5th Feb 2014
Feb 22nd 2014 Received biometrics appointment for 7th March 2014 at 3pm
Feb 27th 2014 Did early walk in for Biometrics successfully
March 17th 2014 Received text & email with interview date on 22nd April 2014

March 18th 2014 Received interview letter in post with time & place, 2.15pm at Mt Laurel NJ
April 16th 2014 Received EAD card
April 22nd 2014 Had AOS interview at Mt Laurel NJ APPROVED
April 22nd 2014 Text & email Case Status: Card / Document Production
April 26th 2014 Received my Green Card today
Total time from Application to Approval 11 Weeks & 1 Day
ROC
Feb 9th 2016 I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center
Feb 11th 2016 I-751 package received at VSC
Feb 17th 2016 Cheque for $590 cashed

Feb 19th 2016 Received I-797 NOA Dated 02/12/2016

March 8th 2016 Biometrics Appointment at 10am. (Done)

April 14th 2017  I-551 stamp in passport 

April 27th 2017 Received text & email Card/Document Production

May 3rd 2017 Received 10 year Green Card today   

N-400

March 7th 2017 N-400 sent to Dallas TX 

March 10th N-400 Application received

March 15th Cheque for $725 cashed

March 20th received NOA1 dated March 15th

March 24th received biometrics appointment for 04/05/17

March 28th did early walk in for biometrics 

October 10th received Citizenship Interview letter

November 13th Citizenship Interview at 10 am Mount Laurel NJ passed my interview.

November 13th Oath ceremony 3pm now a citizen

November 14th applied for my passport 

November 25th Received my passport 

November 27th Received my naturalization certificate back

November 28th Updated my social security records 

I am in the same situation as my company will want to transfer me to the corporate offices in case a vacancy is open before I get my K1, the company lawyer advised me to cancel the k1 process in case I get a job and they will provide me with a L1 visa.... She said I can get marry and adjust my status under the L visa.

Not sure how much trouble this can cause.

I would actually be interested in seeing what folks think about this as my fiance may have the opportunity for an A-2 Visa -- but we shouldn't hijack this thread. I don't have time to start a new thread but if you can't I'll post later.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Another mistake by Michaels7 is that you cannot apply for AOS/EAD/AP until you get your SS number. NOT TRUE.

We applied for AOS, etc. 1 week after arrival, SS number took longer, we did not apply for 1.5 months. No need, since she could not work until EAD arrived anyway. EAD came soon after SS card.

She also applied for SS number in married name, contrary to some advice here. We must have gotten the one competent clerk at the SS office, because we encountered no problems with the married/maiden name mismatch.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.