AroojandAmin

Abusive husband in jail and only 25 days till temporary GC EXPIRES!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi somebody please help me I am freaking out. I entered US on a K1 visa, got married and received the Conditional green card in September of 2012. The card is about to expire on September 19th 2014.

In the mean time, I have been severely abused physically, verbally, psychologically and financially by my husband. Yesterday he tried to kill me by putting a knife to my throat and threatening to kill me if i called the cops. I managed to call them somehow and he had a hold up with them for almost 2 hours as he would't put the knives down and they were trying to negotiate with him. They eventually had to hit him with beanbag bullets and take him in. As of right now he is sitting in jail and has his initial appearance tomorrow. I have no idea if he will be released or kept in jail. Either way I do not want him back in my life at this moment. Due to this abusive situation I never got around to finish up and send in the Removal of Conditions application.

I want to know am i eligible to file under VAWA? I have called up the Domestic Abuse shelters and they seem to be limited on their knowledge about it. I am going to meet with them tomorrow and discuss my options related to restraining orders, my residence and immigration status. Can someone please tell me if Ican do VAWA myself? Is there a guide? Can I have any contact with my husband if I file for VAWA? There seems to be alot of info. and I can't make sense of it with all this happening. Please guide me. Thanks.

My husband is a born US citizen.

Love Conquers All...

Hi somebody please help me I am freaking out. I entered US on a K1 visa, got married and received the Conditional green card in September of 2012. The card is about to expire on September 19th 2014.

In the mean time, I have been severely abused physically, verbally, psychologically and financially by my husband. Yesterday he tried to kill me by putting a knife to my throat and threatening to kill me if i called the cops. I managed to call them somehow and he had a hold up with them for almost 2 hours as he would't put the knives down and they were trying to negotiate with him. They eventually had to hit him with beanbag bullets and take him in. As of right now he is sitting in jail and has his initial appearance tomorrow. I have no idea if he will be released or kept in jail. Either way I do not want him back in my life at this moment. Due to this abusive situation I never got around to finish up and send in the Removal of Conditions application.

I want to know am i eligible to file under VAWA? I have called up the Domestic Abuse shelters and they seem to be limited on their knowledge about it. I am going to meet with them tomorrow and discuss my options related to restraining orders, my residence and immigration status. Can someone please tell me if Ican do VAWA myself? Is there a guide? Can I have any contact with my husband if I file for VAWA? There seems to be alot of info. and I can't make sense of it with all this happening. Please guide me. Thanks.

My husband is a born US citizen.

There is an option on the ROC form to file as an abused spouse.

belinda is correct. click here and find out http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/conditional-permanent-residence/remove-conditions-permanent-residence-based-marriage

i would suggest for u to get a good lawyer who can really help you through this because this will be a complicared process it seems since a divorce will be involved. you can inbox me for more questions

Filed: Timeline

Him having to have the cops negotiating for 2 hrs. beanbags

take down etc Yes U can file VAWA, make sure U get into a

shelter & move your things before he is out. also have records

of all that transpired for immigration..Catholic Charities is a good

idea or a legal aid clinic to help with divorce

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.