genesis1968

w7 form and a letter??

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone. I have a question in reguards to tax filing. I read here somewere that a letter is needed in addition to the W7 form for filing married joint. I cannot find any accurate info. on this. Can someone pls help me with this?

My wife has downloaded the w7 form and will fill out and sign, also notorized copy of passport. But this letter??? HELP!!

Thank you in advance for helping us with this.

I 130 sent and waiting for touch or noa1 now, wow hard to wait huh?? I feel for all of you who is going through this journey, our prayers go with you all.

God bless

Rich n Nancy

I-751 timeline

3/05/10 - mailed I-751 packet

3/12/10 - arrived at CSC

3/16/10 - online status, NOA mailed but no mail received

3/18/10 - Check cashed

4/15/10 - biometric appointment (notice recv'd in mail - 4/01/10)

4/16/10 - touched

4/18/10 - I-485 & EAD touched????

5/03/10 - Card production ordered

5/11/10 - letter of Approval received in the mail

5/26/10 - email received "letter of Approval" sent in the mail... not yet received till now 6/8/10

7/07/10 - called USCIS why green card has not received yet

7/09/10 - email from USCIS stating that they already sent the GC on May 25th and undeliverable,

adviced to apply for I-90 as it might have been lost in mail

7/25/10 - mailed application for I-90 (replacement of lost or stolen card)

9/16/10 - biometric appointment

9/20/10 - touched

9/21/10 - touched

ISAIAH 40:31

"but those who HOPE in the Lord will renew their strength,

they will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary,

they will walk and not be faint"

[/color]

try this link..

http://rinnahannah.multiply.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi! I did the W7 for my husband. First of all, I would say don't send it in-- take it in. The IRS doesn't like notorized copies of your stuff. They DO like to see the actual ID. I had to get my husband to send me his driver's license and his national ID Dhl so the little old IRS ladies could see it. And believe me, this made a HUGE difference. You have to submit the W7 with your taxes. they told me they like to deny the ones that come on their own. They also like to just deny ones whom they don't speak to. So I had a tax company do my taxes to make SURE they were right. then I filled out the W7 and brought his IDs. You weill also need a statement similar to the W2 for her earnings.. in my case it was this statement of earnings from my husband's university. You also need to write that letter... the letter instructions are actually in the paper W7. I don't remember what I wrote beyond somehting to the effect of us being married and him being a non-resident alien and me wanting to add him to my taxes.. something like that. My advice is to go down and actually get the form with the booklet. I filed directly with my teeny weeny IRS office in the federal building in March (like March 20-something) and received his approval in early May.

Hi everyone. I have a question in reguards to tax filing. I read here somewere that a letter is needed in addition to the W7 form for filing married joint. I cannot find any accurate info. on this. Can someone pls help me with this?

My wife has downloaded the w7 form and will fill out and sign, also notorized copy of passport. But this letter??? HELP!!

I 130 sent and waiting for touch or noa1 now, wow hard to wait huh?? I feel for all of you who is going through this journey, our prayers go with you all.

God bless

Rich n Nancy

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Timeline

Rich n Nancy,

The letter in which a non-resident alien requests to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes? IRS web site, look for the publications dealing with resident and non-resident aliens.

Yodrak

Rich n Nancy

Timeline

I'm planning to use the W7 form to get my wife a ITIN and file as married joint. Unfortunately, she is a Filipina who worked for a US based company (cruise industry) and they provided zero documentation on her yearly earnings. Because she is a Filipina working overseas she paid no tax whatsoever. As I understand it (read in a thread like this) she could earn ~$80K USD without my having to claim it but I can't prove what she earned.

I never heard anything about having to provide her ID (actual license, passport, etc). She doesn't even have a license and she needs her passport there. I'm planning to get her passport in our married name certified/notarized and having her send me a copy of that document.

The other option is to file as single. I know people dispute that option but I've been told by someone who knows both Philippine/US immigration and US tax law and they said it's perfectly legal. Another VJ member spoke to tax accountants and they confirmed this is true. As always, take that for what it's worth.

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

God bless

Rich n Nancy

I don't remember the details; but, I filed the W-7 in order to get a TIN for filing purposes. I followed the instructions; whatever they were, and had no problems.

t

Robor,

I didn't document my wife's foreign-earned income on my (our) tax return, I just reported what we thought it might be. It was not questioned.

Coming from a country where incomes are typically a fraction of most Americans' incomes, the amount we reported was maybe a third of the the foreign-earned income exclusion. It would be a waste of IRS resources for them to question it - her income would have had to be 3 times what we reported, 10 times or more what the average person makes in her country, before the IRS would see its' first taxable dollar.

Your option to filing married-joint is not to file as single, you aren't single. Your correct option is to file married-separate.

Yodrak

I'm planning to use the W7 form to get my wife a ITIN and file as married joint. Unfortunately, she is a Filipina who worked for a US based company (cruise industry) and they provided zero documentation on her yearly earnings. Because she is a Filipina working overseas she paid no tax whatsoever. As I understand it (read in a thread like this) she could earn ~$80K USD without my having to claim it but I can't prove what she earned.

I never heard anything about having to provide her ID (actual license, passport, etc). She doesn't even have a license and she needs her passport there. I'm planning to get her passport in our married name certified/notarized and having her send me a copy of that document.

The other option is to file as single. I know people dispute that option but I've been told by someone who knows both Philippine/US immigration and US tax law and they said it's perfectly legal. Another VJ member spoke to tax accountants and they confirmed this is true. As always, take that for what it's worth.

Timeline
Robor,

I didn't document my wife's foreign-earned income on my (our) tax return, I just reported what we thought it might be. It was not questioned.

Coming from a country where incomes are typically a fraction of most Americans' incomes, the amount we reported was maybe a third of the the foreign-earned income exclusion. It would be a waste of IRS resources for them to question it - her income would have had to be 3 times what we reported, 10 times or more what the average person makes in her country, before the IRS would see its' first taxable dollar.

Your option to filing married-joint is not to file as single, you aren't single. Your correct option is to file married-separate.

Yodrak

i spoke with so many tax accountants.

i can still file as single even do im married ( we got married october 2006) since my wife is from a foreign country, she has never been to the US, never been employed and no income at all. and she does not have USA SSN or ITIN.

filing married/separate is not an option since my wife will not be filing any tax at all and filing married/separate still needs USA SSN or ITIN.

accountants told me it is legal to claim as single with regards to my case.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not sure about the advice these accountants are giving, but they are basically telling you it's okay to lie on your tax return. At the end of the return you sign it swearing everything is true. This may not be a big deal and unlikely to be enforced - but that's not a good enough reason for me to lie to the government!

Robor,

Yodrak

i can still file as single even do im married ( we got married october 2006) since my wife is from a foreign country, she has never been to the US, never been employed and no income at all. and she does not have USA SSN or ITIN.

filing married/separate is not an option since my wife will not be filing any tax at all and filing married/separate still needs USA SSN or ITIN.

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Get yourself a new accountant! I am CPA with a PhD in accounting and teach taxation. My husband is British and has not yet lived in the US. Your 2 filing choices are married filing separately or married filing joint (caveat if you have dependents you might be able to file Head of Household). And you are correct that you need a US SSN or ITIN. The difference between married-joint and married-separate is whether you want to include wife's income. You cannot file single if you are legally married ... aren't you going to have to use this tax return for the embassy interview?

Married : 08-04-2006, Cumbria, England

I-130

09-01-2006: Filed I-130 application

09-18-2006: NOA1 received

01-31-2007: NOA2 received (by email)!!

I-129F (K-3)

09-19-2006: Filed I-129F application

10-13-2006: NOA1 received

01-31-2007: NOA2 received (by email ... by mail on Feb. 5)!!

02-13-2007: received at NVC and sent to London Embassy

02-16-2007: received by London Embassy

02-27-2007: received and mailed back Packet 3

03-12-2007: Medical completed

03-15-2007: received email from Embassy providing interview date

03-19-2007: Packet 4 received by mail

04-18-2007: interview - approved!!!

04-21-2007: visa delivered

04-24-2007: husband arrives in US

04-27-2007: to civil surgeon for vaccination supplement

AOS & EAD

05-04-2007: Filed I-485 & I-765

05-11-2007: NOA for both (received by mail May 15)

05-16-2007: notice mailed for biometric appointment (received by mail May 21)

06-07-2007: RFE - USCIS can't find medical results - we have to return to civil surgeon and pay for another appointment

06-13-2007: biometric appointment

07-20-2007: EAD card production ordered

12-13-2007: interview & approved

epoy2,

As a practical matter your accountants may be correct. The IRS is not going to investigate your marital status, and the tax rates are the same up to an income level that covers most people.

But it may raise questions with the USCIS or DoS when they see a tax return that says you're single when you're claiming to be married to get some woman into the USA as an immigrant.

Yodrak

Robor,

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak

Timeline

I think I'll do the same and just attach an amendment explaining the situation. She only made between $15K and $20K anyway so it's well under their cap and like your wife that kind of money is well above Philippine average workers.

Even though it doesn't make sense to me I was also told we could file as single. I'm not going to do that though as married/joint will give us a better deduction. :)

Robor,

Yodrak

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Same with me. I'll be filing jointly. My wife also needs an ITIN and I'll be getting a notarized copy of her passport as well. She's a nurse from Australia and never worked for an American company. Can you tell me where you founf this 80k cap? I know my wife made well below that but I just want to verify it. Thanks!

I-130

02/17/2007 - I-130 Express Mailed to VSC via USPS. (ETA 2/19/2007)

02/22/2007 - I-130 received by VSC.

06/12/2007 - NOA2 approval email received!!!

06/15/2007 - NOA2 letter received in the mail.

NVC

06/19/2007 - NVC receives case and assigns a case number!

08/27/2007 - CASE COMPLETE!!!!

09/06/2007 - Case forwarded to Sydney

09/14/2007 - Wife receives Packet 3. Received NVC letter confirming case forward to Sydney.

10/26/2007 - Interview - VISA GRANTED!!!!! WOOO WOOO!!!!!!

11/18/2007 - Enter the US via LAX (POE). No issues thankfully. 20 minutes of processing.

11/30/2007 - Welcome letter (two of them) received.

12/19/2007 - CR-1 Green Card received.

USCIS - I-751

09/23/2009 - Express Mailed Removal of Conditions application

09/24/2009 - USPS confirmed delivery to VSC

09/29/2009 - Check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2009 - Received NOA I-797C dated 09/25/2009

10/10/2009 - Received Biometric appt letter for 10/29/2009

10/29/2009 - Biometrics taken. Whole process took about 40 min including the wait

12/22/2009 - Approved for ROC!

01/08/2010 - Received text and email: Card production ordered

01/15/2010 - Received Green Card in the mail!

USCIS - N-400

04/22/2011 - Express Mailed Application for Naturalization

04/27/2011 - Check cashed by USCIS

04/28/2011 - Received NOA I-797C dated 04/26/2011

05/27/2011 - Biometrics taken. Process took approx 35 min with wait

07/29/2011 - Received Interview Appt letter scheduled for 09/01/2011 dated 07/26/2011

09/01/2011 - Interview and Oath. Now a USC! The VJ is over!

Timeline

I think the $80,00 mentioned is referring to the foreign earned income exclusion (actually now $82,400) but I think this only applies to US citizens and resident aliens but a spouse not yet living in the US would be nonresident aliens. However, if you are electing to filing a joint return then your nonresident alien spouse is choosing to be taxed as a resident alien so the exclusion might be allowed ... but I am not finding a direct IRS comment on this point. I would not assume you can use the exclusion without asking the IRS.

I-130

I-129F (K-3)

AOS & EAD

06-07-2007: RFE - USCIS can't find medical results - we have to return to civil surgeon and pay for another appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I think the $80,00 mentioned is referring to the foreign earned income exclusion (actually now $82,400) but I think this only applies to US citizens and resident aliens but a spouse not yet living in the US would be nonresident aliens. However, if you are electing to filing a joint return then your nonresident alien spouse is choosing to be taxed as a resident alien so the exclusion might be allowed ... but I am not finding a direct IRS comment on this point. I would not assume you can use the exclusion without asking the IRS.

Thanks for the response! I'll definitely research this some more. I am hoping it's along the lines of her foreign income being excluded. If all goes well, my wife will be able join me at the end of August and we can file jointly without the need of an ITIN next year! :)

I-130

02/17/2007 - I-130 Express Mailed to VSC via USPS. (ETA 2/19/2007)

02/22/2007 - I-130 received by VSC.

06/12/2007 - NOA2 approval email received!!!

06/15/2007 - NOA2 letter received in the mail.

NVC

06/19/2007 - NVC receives case and assigns a case number!

08/27/2007 - CASE COMPLETE!!!!

09/06/2007 - Case forwarded to Sydney

09/14/2007 - Wife receives Packet 3. Received NVC letter confirming case forward to Sydney.

10/26/2007 - Interview - VISA GRANTED!!!!! WOOO WOOO!!!!!!

11/18/2007 - Enter the US via LAX (POE). No issues thankfully. 20 minutes of processing.

11/30/2007 - Welcome letter (two of them) received.

12/19/2007 - CR-1 Green Card received.

USCIS - I-751

09/23/2009 - Express Mailed Removal of Conditions application

09/24/2009 - USPS confirmed delivery to VSC

09/29/2009 - Check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2009 - Received NOA I-797C dated 09/25/2009

10/10/2009 - Received Biometric appt letter for 10/29/2009

10/29/2009 - Biometrics taken. Whole process took about 40 min including the wait

12/22/2009 - Approved for ROC!

01/08/2010 - Received text and email: Card production ordered

01/15/2010 - Received Green Card in the mail!

USCIS - N-400

04/22/2011 - Express Mailed Application for Naturalization

04/27/2011 - Check cashed by USCIS

04/28/2011 - Received NOA I-797C dated 04/26/2011

05/27/2011 - Biometrics taken. Process took approx 35 min with wait

07/29/2011 - Received Interview Appt letter scheduled for 09/01/2011 dated 07/26/2011

09/01/2011 - Interview and Oath. Now a USC! The VJ is over!

Timeline

Looks like you can use foreign earned income exclusion for a nonresdient alien who elects to be treated as a resident alien ... see my separate topic with information from IRS website.

I-130

I-129F (K-3)

AOS & EAD