SoCalMark

Be Careful Who You Listen To --

6 posts in this topic

While getting information on these types of sites is very helpful don't assume the person on the other end is the all-knowing wizard because they have "been through the process."

Unlike most people I have been through K-1 and CR-1 with the same beneficiary. I received very bad mis-information at one time and once I was able to talk directly with the U.S. Embassy in Manila I found out the truth. One of the issues was that under the fiancee visa, my NOW wife, fiancee then had stayed here much longer than the three months required. I found out from the embassy that they really didn't care as long as my intentions were still admirable and that I was honest with them.

I had people telling me she would be banned for ten years, that we would never be approved a second time, that her medical would not be accepted a second time ... and they were all persons with good intentions but without merit or facts. All of our cases are the same yet different. The worse advise came from my wife's own country girls who simply had no clue.

Some petitions take a year while I have seen some whiz through in a couple months.

Google search your way through the process and get reliable VERIFIED information. My friend in Homeland Security in Los Angeles says starting letters to congressmen and petitions will have little to no effect on the process and could endanger your petition from being treated fairly and impartially.

Good Luck to you all !!

journey.jpg

From my very short venture into the whole visa process, my fiancees friends and relatives have given her totally wrong information. From "you don't need a visa, all you need is a support letter" to "it will take years to get a visa" to "The Catholic church forces you to have a seminar even if you marry by a judge"

All bogus info.

Rumors abound......it is always much better and far more reliable to get the information first hand and from an authority that has real facts.

Let your particular case be a good example to others that just because an internet poster says it's so.....does not particularly make it so.

Most are well intentioned and are doing their best to help out.....but verify verify verify.

I would suggest to anyone looking for the real deal, find that in official US Government webpages or your local US Embassy.

These Visa Journey pages are an excellent place to find out the processes and visa seeker experiences, but is not the final word. For that, seek out an official version, as stated by the US Government.

I would also strongly suggest anyone not push the limits of officially stated time limits. To do so is at your own peril, as one official may see your case 180 degrees opposite from another official and toss out the red flags and or the dreaded DENY flag.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

While getting information on these types of sites is very helpful don't assume the person on the other end is the all-knowing wizard because they have "been through the process."

Unlike most people I have been through K-1 and CR-1 with the same beneficiary. I received very bad mis-information at one time and once I was able to talk directly with the U.S. Embassy in Manila I found out the truth. One of the issues was that under the fiancee visa, my NOW wife, fiancee then had stayed here much longer than the three months required. I found out from the embassy that they really didn't care as long as my intentions were still admirable and that I was honest with them.

I had people telling me she would be banned for ten years, that we would never be approved a second time, that her medical would not be accepted a second time ... and they were all persons with good intentions but without merit or facts. All of our cases are the same yet different. The worse advise came from my wife's own country girls who simply had no clue.

Some petitions take a year while I have seen some whiz through in a couple months.

Google search your way through the process and get reliable VERIFIED information. My friend in Homeland Security in Los Angeles says starting letters to congressmen and petitions will have little to no effect on the process and could endanger your petition from being treated fairly and impartially.

Good Luck to you all !!

I agree 100% ! Some people on here think just because they went through it 2 years ago that they know every detail of every case. Wrong answer. I've gotten tons of misinformation and speculation.

It's a good site for general information and guidelines, just make sure you verify every piece of information you receive.

So yes, most mean well but make sure you get the "real " answer from the gov. entity involved.

I (Todd) am the petitioner from the U.S. / Beth is in/from Philippines :thumbs:

---------------VISA JOURNEY---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6-30-2014: Mailed I129F Packet to Dallas Lockbox......... H e e e r e WE g o o o o o!! (L):wub::dance:

7-08-2014: Received email confirmation & text of application packet receipt and case #. Texas Service Center.

7-11-2014: Received actual letter confirmation of receipt and case #.

7-11-2014: Received email notification of Alien registration # being changed.

7-31-2014: Received text/email of I129F approval (Post Decision Activity) yes, we were processed at TSC!

8-04-2014: Received hard copy NOA2 in mail confirming approved and sent to NVC.

8-05-2014: Received text/email and USCIS status update. 2nd half of Post Decision Activity - Sent to DOS for processing.

8-13-2014: NVC assigned case/MNL# !!!

8-15 -2014: Interview scheduled.....August 28!

8-15 -2014: CEAC status: IN TRANSIT to Consular Section.

8-18-2014: CEAC status changed to "READY"

8-18-2014: Shots completed 2nd day. Medical complete. received a CD, papers, and passport

8-19-2014: Completed CFO seminar (Will return to CFO office to get sticker after Visa is in hand)

8-25-2014: Received hard copy of NVC case # assignment and fwd to consulate letter in mail.

8-28-2014: 1:00 am my time...........Interview done.........APPROVED !!! :dancing:(L):wow::wub::thumbs:

9-02-2014: Administrative Processing

9-04-2014: Issued

9-07-2014: Text msg from 2GO, Visa ready for pickup

9-08-2014: Visa in hand, CFO sticker obtained

--------AOS JOURNEY-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12-05-2014: AOS Package at Chicago Lockbox received per U.S. mail tracking

12-19-2014: Received texts/emails that file has been accepted and routed. (All three...485, 131,765)

12-26-2014: Received Biometrics appointment notice. Scheduled 1-7-2015.

12-27-2014: Received NOA1 / I-797C in mail for all three applications.

01-07-2014: Biometrics completed in Fort Smith, AR. .. went in early, they took us no problem. Took maybe 10 minutes.

02-10-2015: Received text and emails notification of approved EAD and AP. Status changed to reflect approval.

02-17-2-15: Received NOA I-797 letter only.....for Advanced Parole in mail.

02-21-2015: Received EAD/AP combo card in mail today.

03-19-2015: Received the "Notice of Potential Interview Case" letter in mail today.

06-03-2015: Requested to expedite due to potential loss of funds if vacation had to be cancelled due to non acceptable travel docs to Mexico.

06-05-205: Response denying expedite. Stated while sounded important, only cases strictly adhering to the "qualification" to expedite are granted such process.

08-11-2015: Sent "out of processing time" inquiry

08-12-2015: Received generic response stating that due to workload factors USCIS anticipates a delay in completing your case."

08-15-2015: (Saturday@8am) received email stating a recent processing action has taken place on our case. Status:Card/Document Production

"We ordered your new card for MSCxxxxxxxx, and will mail it. You can expect your card within 30 days of approval of your application.

8-12-2015: Online status changed to "NEW CARD IS BEING PRODUCED" . Couple days later, received hard copy of notice.

8-31-2015: Received text notifying that "We mailed your new card"

9-01-2015: Received GREEN CARD!! 275 days from date of mailing/filing AOS.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to General Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

There's only a small handful of people on this site who are truly experts in immigration matters and some of them get berated for their honesty when they don't give the answers the questioners want to hear.

Everyone else here can only give opinions based on their own experiences. It's not always accurate, sometimes downright wrong, sometimes just overly optimistic just so as not to upset the questioner.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

All good advice. The only comment I would differ with is the one about not contacting Senators or Congressmen. There are times when that is the appropriate step to take and it will not harm your petition nor cause USCIS to take a retributive stance against you. The proper process involves working with your elected officials assigned immigration assistant who will contact their liaison contacts at USCIS. These individuals are dedicated to working with elected official offices and do so all the time. They are far too busy to act in retribution. They respond and move on to the next inquiry.

Your elected official, however, cannot change the law nor influence a decision. They can ascertain why a case is taking longer than it should, and sometimes an inquiry will 'shake loose' a file or petition that somehow has been side-tracked or inadvertently filed before its completion (yes, that happens). They can also help you understand what is happening with your case and may be able to help correct an error, if one exists. A really, really good assistant liaison may be willing to do extra steps if they see some other way in which they can help.

To do this there needs to be something in your case that is out of the ordinary. That means it is outside of the usual processing times by a noticeable amount; that it has obviously stalled; that attempts to make corrections through the regular channels have been unsuccessful; or there is something extraordinary in your circumstances that would benefit from some sort of additional support or intervention.

I know this through personal experience on both ends of this process having worked before I immigrated as the assistant to an elected Member of Parliament and liaising on our constituents' behalf with the Canadian immigration system. The American system is set up with the same sort of staffing arrangements so I also worked with immigration officers and liaisons both with USCIS and with US Senators as situations required. After I immigrated, I also requested and received help from my own Senator's immigration liaison staff with my Removal of Conditions petition which was outside of the listed processing time. Within two days of the Senatorial inquiry into the delay, my petition was approved.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.