Zelena2

No Last Name/Surname/Family Name on fiance's passport/birth cert. But he has one. What do we do?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I am getting all the forms together to start the process of immigration. I am filing out the I-129F and my fiance does not have a surname on his passport or birth certificate. He does have a family name, but it is not on any official documents and it will take too much time and money to change it in his country. For some reason the family name was not issued to his grandfather and some old records disappeared during WWII that make it very difficult to form a paper trail of proof. I can form the connection through his grandmother and great grandmother, who both have the family name, and it is was custom to marry cousins within the family to keep the family name.

What do we do?

Do we:

1) Fill out the application with his family name and explain everything in the documentation / cover letter?

-OR-

2) Fill out the application WITH OUT (LEAVE BLANK) his family name and explain everything in the documentation / cover letter?

- If I leave the surname blank will he be assigned a surname? At what point? What is the process? How is it determined?

I called USCIS and they told me that is was up to the officer who reviews the paper work, I did not clarify with them if this was during or after approval. She did not say if either way was better, just said that whatever we submit, it is up to the adjudicating officer

Does anyone have any experience of this?

--------------------------------------------

Only those with REAL knowledge need reply. If you answer with "might" or "maybe" you will be ignored as those answers are not helpful and only feed the confusion of the nightmare of this paperwork process. I can make (and have made) perfectly good assumptions on my own, now I want facts about the process.

This comment was not made to offend anyone that wishes to help. But I have read the forums about beneficiaries with no surnames and have seen posts like "If you leave it blank, they may think you forgot to fill it in, and RFE you.". Even though it is perfectly acceptable to leave it blank as per the current instructions. When you use terms like "may" or "maybe" or "might" your answer is not helpful, and therefore not acceptable.

If you have been denied or returned for more information, please let me know. If you left the surname blank for your beneficiary please tell me what happened, if they have a surname name now and how it was given (except in the form of the wife taking the husbands name after marriage since my husband will not be taking my last name ;).

Thank you, for understanding.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

No offense but for you to say answers like "maybe" or "might" are not helpful that is a big no no. Especially this being your VERY first post. All of us here on VJ are here to help the best possible way we can..

If I were you I would get all those paperworks changed to have his family/surname. It is worth the extra month getting that all ready.

April 15, 2014 : I-129F Package Sent

April 19, 2014 : I-129F Package Delivery Confirmation via USPS

April 24, 2014 - NOA1 received via email/text

April 25, 2014 - Alien Registration Number changed

April 28, 2014 - NOA1 received in mail.

May 23, 2014 - RFE received in mail.

June 5, 2014 - Response to RFE Sent

June 11, 2014 - NOA2 Approval via website!!!

June 14, 2014 - NOA2 received in mail.

June 24, 2014 - NVC Case # via phone!

June 25, 2014 - NVC forwarded case to Embassy

June 26, 2014 - Embassy received case.

June 26, 2014 - NVC letter in mail.

August 4-5, 2014 - Medical

August 6, 2014 - CFO Seminar

August 13, 2014 - VIsa Interview (Expedited)

August 19, 2014 - VISA ready for pick up!

August 20, 2014 - Packet 3 Arrived

August 26, 2014 - POE!

August 26, 2014 - Notice to schedule an Interview...

October 23, 2014 - AOS/EAD Package Sent

October 30, 2014 - NOA1 via website

November 1, 2014 - NOA1 received in mail

November 6, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment Scheduled in mail

November 19, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment

Timeline

No offense, but I am only clarifying that I only want facts, not opinions. I've read the forums and I see opinions everywhere....I am not interested in opinions, I am interested in experiences!

I am sick of having time slip away where I can't be with my fiance. And I want to move forward.

And its not just an "extra month" getting all that ready. I have waited an extra 3 months now, with no end in sight, it will take years to straighten it out in his country. So we have resolved that he will keep his documents in his country as they are and we will figure out what we can do in the US.

But thank you for your response, I agree that it would have been worth the "extra month" if that were the actual case.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

No offense, but I am only clarifying that I only want facts, not opinions. I've read the forums and I see opinions everywhere....I am not interested in opinions, I am interested in experiences!

I am sick of having time slip away where I can't be with my fiance. And I want to move forward.

And its not just an "extra month" getting all that ready. I have waited an extra 3 months now, with no end in sight, it will take years to straighten it out in his country. So we have resolved that he will keep his documents in his country as they are and we will figure out what we can do in the US.

But thank you for your response, I agree that it would have been worth the "extra month" if that were the actual case.

no problem. if you have any more questions just feel free to ask! good luck!

April 15, 2014 : I-129F Package Sent

April 19, 2014 : I-129F Package Delivery Confirmation via USPS

April 24, 2014 - NOA1 received via email/text

April 25, 2014 - Alien Registration Number changed

April 28, 2014 - NOA1 received in mail.

May 23, 2014 - RFE received in mail.

June 5, 2014 - Response to RFE Sent

June 11, 2014 - NOA2 Approval via website!!!

June 14, 2014 - NOA2 received in mail.

June 24, 2014 - NVC Case # via phone!

June 25, 2014 - NVC forwarded case to Embassy

June 26, 2014 - Embassy received case.

June 26, 2014 - NVC letter in mail.

August 4-5, 2014 - Medical

August 6, 2014 - CFO Seminar

August 13, 2014 - VIsa Interview (Expedited)

August 19, 2014 - VISA ready for pick up!

August 20, 2014 - Packet 3 Arrived

August 26, 2014 - POE!

August 26, 2014 - Notice to schedule an Interview...

October 23, 2014 - AOS/EAD Package Sent

October 30, 2014 - NOA1 via website

November 1, 2014 - NOA1 received in mail

November 6, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment Scheduled in mail

November 19, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

This seems a Consulate specific question.

Maybe you might want to have it moved to the appropriate regional forum.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Boiler, how is this a "Consulate specific question"? What does that mean? What region would it be moved to?

I am filling out the I-129F. It goes to the USCIS first for approval.

Thank you for your response but don't understand, please clarify.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You want to know how it will be addressed, how these issues are handled is Country specific.

I have not come across the situation in the UK, seems common in India, but whether India and Malaysia deal with it the same way, I have doubt.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

So are you saying to me that the officer who reviews the I129f is not the one that approves the name, it's the officer that will speak to my fiancé when the papers are sent Malaysia and he continues the process there before flying over?

Thank you again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

I saw this on the US embassy website for India (which obviously isn't Malaysia):

http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/nonimmigrant_visas/frequently-asked-questions.html

"Why does my visa say "FNU"?

If you have only one name, or if your name appears in one line in your passport, your full name goes in the surname field and "first name unknown", or "FNU," goes in the given name. We recommend obtaining a new passport with given and surnames if possible."

In this case, it appears he will enter the US without a first name which will probably become a problem when attempting to get employment or driver's license, etc.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

So are you saying to me that the officer who reviews the I129f is not the one that approves the name, it's the officer that will speak to my fiancé when the papers are sent Malaysia and he continues the process there before flying over?

Thank you again.

USCIS only deal with I-129F. So my opinion is that I agreed with you this step only deal with USCIS first. One of my friends here, Bob, dealt with same situation with you. For USCIS stage, he only put FNU as I remember he told me. After approval, he just found out that his fiancee's name on her passport different from her birth certificate. So, he tried to change the name on the birth certificate since it was a mistake. He stick with all information he put on I-129F. Based on that, the US embassy in Jakarta does not make a big deal if a beneficiary does not have surname.

If you want to talk to him, I can give you his profile link.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

All people on here will be giving information based on might/maybe/opinion....., each case is individual and what happened with one case may not be valid for the next. Your getting FREE information. If you feel inclined you are more than welcome to pay a lawyer to deal with the process for you, then you can be confident that the process will be followed correctly.

One name WILL cause problems.... It could be tomorrow, it could be in 6 months or even a year but they are much less likely to be questioned in the future if they have a valid first and last name.

I wish you all the success in the world but the immigration department likes normal/average/cookie cutter applications and anything outside that will impede the speed of the application.

Edited by TheCaptain

My AOS Journey

11/11/14 - POE

12/12/14 - Married

12/15/14 - AOS/EAD Submitted

12/22/14 - NOA 1

01/13/15 - Biometrics

03/20/15 - Notice Of Potential Interview Waiver Received - 6 Month Delay

09/21/15 - NPIW Expired

10/16/15 - Service Request 1 submitted - Local office past my case

10/17/15 - Service Request Response - Currently being adjudicated, No timeline. Please wait

10/19/15 - Contacted Local Congressman. Request Submitted

11/19/15 - Response from congressman. Currently being adjudicated. Please wait. No Timeline

11/27/15 - Letter from Local Field office requesting missing I-693.

12/21/15 - Infopass Appointment regarding notice - I-693 not required for K1 Visa. Officer stated he would request local officer to contact me

12/22/15 - 1 Year since NOA 1

12/29/15 - Had original K1 I-693 medical form transcribed by US panel doctor and submitted to USCIS.

01/06/16 - Service request 2 submitted

01/19/16 - Interview Appointment Received

02/09/16 - Interview - APPROVED

02/12/16 - 2 Year Green Card In Hand

12/26/17 - ROC Submitted

01/08/18 - ROC NOA1 Recieved

10/06/18 - Received 18 Month Extension Letter

01/17/19 - Removal of Conditions - Approved

01/23/19 - Received 10 year Green Card.

My Citizenship Journey

12/06/18 - N400 Submitted

12/18/18 - N400 Biometrics Appointment Received

12/26/18 - Biometrics Complete - Expected completion Feb 2020 (13 Months)

04/28/19 - So far lots of USCIS "nothing has changed" bi weekly status update e-mails.

05/07/19 - Received notification that my N400 interview had been scheduled.

05/08/19 - N400 Interview letter was available to view online.

05/13/19 - Received physical copy of N400 interview letter in mail.

06/14/19 - N400 Interview Passed. Recommended for citizenship.

06/22/19 - N400 Approved

07/24/19 - Oath ceremony scheduled

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Having only one name in this region is pretty common; USCIS and the local consulates know this. If the government issued birth certificate and passport only have one name that's what should you go with. Usually on the passport they will write the name twice for first and surname name. I've worked with two Indonesians who had the names Happy and Superman. No joke. Their Indonesian passports and ID's were issued as Happy, Happy and Superman, Superman. They were both issued 10 years B2 visas for corporate training in the US using the same names for both spaces with no issues. Although Superman said he always got pulled aside by CPB for further scrutiny but was let in after CPB had a laugh.

I'd double check with the local consulate but I'd just write the name twice for both spaces. I had to contact my consulate to find out how to write the wife's name because they use a different order in Vietnam. The consulate strengthened me out.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am getting all the forms together to start the process of immigration. I am filing out the I-129F and my fiance does not have a surname on his passport or birth certificate. He does have a family name, but it is not on any official documents and it will take too much time and money to change it in his country. For some reason the family name was not issued to his grandfather and some old records disappeared during WWII that make it very difficult to form a paper trail of proof. I can form the connection through his grandmother and great grandmother, who both have the family name, and it is was custom to marry cousins within the family to keep the family name.

What do we do?

Do we:

1) Fill out the application with his family name and explain everything in the documentation / cover letter?

-OR-

2) Fill out the application WITH OUT (LEAVE BLANK) his family name and explain everything in the documentation / cover letter?

- If I leave the surname blank will he be assigned a surname? At what point? What is the process? How is it determined?

I called USCIS and they told me that is was up to the officer who reviews the paper work, I did not clarify with them if this was during or after approval. She did not say if either way was better, just said that whatever we submit, it is up to the adjudicating officer

Does anyone have any experience of this?

--------------------------------------------

Only those with REAL knowledge need reply. If you answer with "might" or "maybe" you will be ignored as those answers are not helpful and only feed the confusion of the nightmare of this paperwork process. I can make (and have made) perfectly good assumptions on my own, now I want facts about the process.

This comment was not made to offend anyone that wishes to help. But I have read the forums about beneficiaries with no surnames and have seen posts like "If you leave it blank, they may think you forgot to fill it in, and RFE you.". Even though it is perfectly acceptable to leave it blank as per the current instructions. When you use terms like "may" or "maybe" or "might" your answer is not helpful, and therefore not acceptable.

If you have been denied or returned for more information, please let me know. If you left the surname blank for your beneficiary please tell me what happened, if they have a surname name now and how it was given (except in the form of the wife taking the husbands name after marriage since my husband will not be taking my last name ;).

Thank you, for understanding.

Very easy this is common in the Middle East, If his name was lets say Mohammed Abbas Masoud Elsayed then Mohammed Abbas would be his first name Masoud his middle name and Elsayed his last name or Mohammed first name Abbas his middle name and Masoud Elsayed his last names either way it works and is accepted. Good luck. :) M

America, Give Me My Spouse/Fiancé !

https://www.youtube....O6dwPf8HqZBzjUA

Help us make processing times at USCIS service centers fairer.
http://helptsc.tumblr.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Married. 10-16-2011. (L)

I-130 Sent. 03-14-2014 PD changed 6-24-2013. Received DS-261 / AOS Bill: 05-28-2014.

I-130 NOA1. 03-20-2013. Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

Returned to me due to mistake. 04-27-2013. Submit DS-261: 05-28-2014 Scanned on May 30 Th.
Returned to USCIS
04-30-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to me again USCIS mistake.
05-14-2013. Send AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Returned to USCIS. 06-24-2013 due to travel. Receive IV Bill: 07-07-2014. 2uge4p4.gif
I-130 NOA2, Approved. 04-08-2014. Send IV Package: 07-22-2014 Scanned 07/24/2014.
Your I-130 was approved in 283, actual 343 days.
Submitted DS-260; 07/14/2014

Arrived NVC. 04-25-2014. NVC requested parents marriage cert, 10/10/2014

Case number given. 05-20-2014. Last scan date, 10/22/2014
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014. AOS Approved: 12-16-2014. egyptian.gif
Sent AOS Package: 06-10-2014.
Receive I-864 Package: 06-25-2014.
Pay AOS Bill: 05-28- 2014. smileys-money-114847.gif

CASE COMPLETE : They lied, 09-17-2014 42.gifActual CC 12-16-2014. Finally smiley-sick014.gif

Interview date given on 12-29-2014. Interview date 02-19-2015

01-29-2015 - Medical

02-19-2015 - Interview: Denied, reason given does not believe we are a Bona Fide marriage. voodoo-smiley-emoticon.gif groin-kick-smiley-emoticon.gif

-----------------------------------------

9hftc5sfgir1vd95.png

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

If you fiance's name is, say, John, without anything else as last name, you need to fill out the form as following,

Last Name: John

First Name: FNU

FNU means first name unavailable. Many Asian countries including India allow for people to have only given name on the passport without a last name and it's not a problem except filling out paper work for US visas etc. in the US you must have a lat name. In the absence of one, the entire given name turns into last name and the first name is FNU.

Even if you fill it out as it is on the passport, with only first name and no last name, when it comes to issuing visa, they will put FNU for first name and his given name as last name on the visa. It's no big deal, don't worry too much about it. No need to go for a name change, unless he really wants to.

BTW, I am speaking from my own experience, you are welcome to follow my advice only if you want to.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: India
Timeline

Given that surnames make life easier and you fiancé has none, may be he should look into getting your last name to make his life easier once he is in US. Why is it so that he can't take your last name? Also, concrete information regarding your case can only be provided to you by a PAID lawyer, here we are a bunch of DIYers who learn from trial and error, and try to help out ANONYMOUSLY. it's up to you take our advice to the bank ;-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.