16 posts in this topic

Hi:

Me and my wife had a bit of a problem with our AOS interview in November. What happened was that the interviewer did not approve our application because my income was below the 125% level. I stated in a letter and to her that since I am self employed that my income was over the required 125% but with all my allowable deductions it decreased my income. Off course she could not understand. Anyway she said we have 84 days to find a co-sponsor and mail a I-864 back to her. Well the 84 days will be up on January 31st and we have no co-sponsor. None of my friends are willing or able to do it. Since I can not find anyone, I want to send in my 2006 1040 which I just finished. On it my net income and adjusted gross income are over the 125% income level. Should I also fill out the I-864 or do another I-134 and include a letter stating that we could not find a co-sponsor. Thank you for any help.

Filed: Timeline

kazeman,

You are the one who does not understand. Your income is not your business' income. You are sponsoring your wife your business is not.

Your income from the business is found on Form 1040 Line 12, the amount left after deducting those allowable business deductions from the business' income. Your total income, the figure the USCIS is looking at, is on Line 22.

Yodrak

Hi:

Me and my wife had a bit of a problem with our AOS interview in November. What happened was that the interviewer did not approve our application because my income was below the 125% level. I stated in a letter and to her that since I am self employed that my income was over the required 125% but with all my allowable deductions it decreased my income. .....

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Is ur wife not working? If she is working then U can add her income to urs to meet to 125% they needed before they approve ur wife's permanent residency. That is the easiest way I know that I can advise U to go about since U can't find a co-sponsor.

Embassy admit having petition (interview date not known yet) 20th Oct 2005

Picked up package 4 at embassy 24 of Oct

Interview date: 19th January 2006 DENIED (221G)

Second interview: 3rd of Feb 2006 VISA APPROVED! Thank U Lord!!!

HI:

My taxes for 2006 reflect that I made over the 125% level so I won't have to use my wife's income. I am just wondering now which form to include (I-864 or I-134) when I mail back the INS agent. The INS agent gave me a list indicating she wanted an I-864 filled out by a co-sponsor but since no co-sponsor should I fill it out. Wish this question would have come to my head during the interview.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Is ur wife working right now? if she is then add her present income to ur present income and by that way U will exceed the 125% guideline. Yes Uhave to use the I864 affidavite papers all over again.

Embassy admit having petition (interview date not known yet) 20th Oct 2005

Picked up package 4 at embassy 24 of Oct

Interview date: 19th January 2006 DENIED (221G)

Second interview: 3rd of Feb 2006 VISA APPROVED! Thank U Lord!!!

I-864

If your wife is working, you should include her income (whether you feel you NEED to include it or not). Seeing as you only have until the end of this month, you should do this and send it out ASAP.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Well I am a little hesitant to use her income because she is working as an RN without an EAD. Her employer does not care that her social security card can not be used for work. They hired her because she had her interview notice so they knew she was not illegal. During the interview she did tell the INS agent that she works as an RN. The INS agent did not ask to see the EAD. Maybe I said to much but it had to be said :)

Filed: Timeline

kazeman,

Adjustment of status requires an I-184 affidavit of support, I-134 is applicable only to non-immigrant visa applications.

The INS went the way of the dinosaurs several years ago.

Yodrak

HI:

My taxes for 2006 reflect that I made over the 125% level so I won't have to use my wife's income. I am just wondering now which form to include (I-864 or I-134) when I mail back the INS agent. The INS agent gave me a list indicating she wanted an I-864 filled out by a co-sponsor but since no co-sponsor should I fill it out. Wish this question would have come to my head during the interview.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Anyway she said we have 84 days to find a co-sponsor and mail a I-864 back to her. Well the 84 days will be up on January 31st and we have no co-sponsor. None of my friends are willing or able to do it. Since I can not find anyone, I want to send in my 2006 1040 which I just finished. On it my net income and adjusted gross income are over the 125% income level. Should I also fill out the I-864 or do another I-134 and include a letter stating that we could not find a co-sponsor. Thank you for any help.

This advice may be a little too late but here it is anyway. I don't think a letter stating that you can't find a co-sponor is going to cut it with USCIS. I don't know how much you are under the poverty line, but I would recommend getting a part time or full time job for the time being. Since you have your own business, maybe the income from a part time job plus the income from your business can put you over the poverty line.

AOS

12/19/06 AOS and EAD applications recieved at Chicago office

12/22/06 file sent to CSC

2/14/07 touched

3/2/07 touched

3/5/07 touched

3/13/07 file sent back to MSC

3/14/07 touched

3/21/07 touched

3/23/07 touched

6/06/07 Interview

6/18/07 Notified through email that card was ordered

6/26/07 Recieved card in the mail TODAY!!!!!!!

EAD

3/20/07 EAD touched

3/22/07 recieved email that card has been ordered.

3/26/07 EAD card recieved in the mail.

Well I am a little hesitant to use her income because she is working as an RN without an EAD. Her employer does not care that her social security card can not be used for work. They hired her because she had her interview notice so they knew she was not illegal. During the interview she did tell the INS agent that she works as an RN. The INS agent did not ask to see the EAD. Maybe I said to much but it had to be said :)

I'm pretty sure that unless she has that EAD or greencard then her work is illegal. An interview notice is nothing other than a letter, it does not mean that she will necessarily be approved for that greencard, so in order for her to legally work until she gets her greencard she needed her EAD. The employer should know better.

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Not to threadjack, but no doubt the employer DOES know better, they just don't care. Employers know the rules and know the laws - a lot of them just choose not to follow them? Why? A question I've asked myself a million times, but the answers are obvious: illegal workers are more vulnerable, easily taken advantage of, and if they realize they're being taken advantage of or their employers are engaging in other illegal practices, there is nothing said worker can do about it. Say the OP's wife has to work an extra hr (and in nursing that's not an unlikely situation) and they don't pay her for it. There's not much she can do if she's not authorized to work.

It sucks, especially if there are extenuating circumstances leading to someone who shouldn't be working having to work (a reason they can't return to their country, such as a wrongful death lawsuit etc etc). As much as everyone wants to blame the workers, the employers are the ones who should be held responsible because they're doing it for their own benefit - a bunch of no good crooks with no compassion or respect for the lives of their workers, illegal or not.

I'm pretty sure that unless she has that EAD or greencard then her work is illegal. An interview notice is nothing other than a letter, it does not mean that she will necessarily be approved for that greencard, so in order for her to legally work until she gets her greencard she needed her EAD. The employer should know better.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Not to threadjack, but no doubt the employer DOES know better, they just don't care. Employers know the rules and know the laws - a lot of them just choose not to follow them? Why? A question I've asked myself a million times, but the answers are obvious: illegal workers are more vulnerable, easily taken advantage of, and if they realize they're being taken advantage of or their employers are engaging in other illegal practices, there is nothing said worker can do about it. Say the OP's wife has to work an extra hr (and in nursing that's not an unlikely situation) and they don't pay her for it. There's not much she can do if she's not authorized to work.

It sucks, especially if there are extenuating circumstances leading to someone who shouldn't be working having to work (a reason they can't return to their country, such as a wrongful death lawsuit etc etc). As much as everyone wants to blame the workers, the employers are the ones who should be held responsible because they're doing it for their own benefit - a bunch of no good crooks with no compassion or respect for the lives of their workers, illegal or not.

I agree the employers should be held responsible, of course, but I also think that its upto the worker to know whether or not they are breaking the law and be aware of consequences. Not saying the wife of the OP will ever face consequences, I just mean in general.

Naturalization

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

Filed: Other Timeline

The instructions for the I864 clearly state that income from legally authorized employment can be counted.

Therefore any discussion as to whether the employer or employee is more 'at fault' for undocumented work is inconsequential. The OP cannot count it.

The instructions for the I864 clearly state that income from legally authorized employment can be counted.

Therefore any discussion as to whether the employer or employee is more 'at fault' for undocumented work is inconsequential. The OP cannot count it.

See as they have until tommorow to file anyways I assume they worked the problem somehow.

Naturalization

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.