nica25

Re-enter US using advance parole

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

One post in the thread has been removed for being nonresponsive.

1. Over and over, some new members persist in posting misinformation and partial truths in a dangerously cavalier posting style when they don't know what they don't know. A typically appropriate "defensive response" is to read, study the Guides, read more, and contribute on the basis of actual fact, with care taken so that nothing can be misinterpreted. The experienced members of this forum typically know what they're talking about. It's therefore wise to heed their input and learn from it, before barreling in with unwashed advice. There is very good reason that experienced forum members have been correcting your posts.

2. Importing drama from another thread risks administrative action.

3. You're allowed to state your opinions, and others are allowed to correct serial misinformation perpetuated through many posts in various forums. The need to correct misinformation would be far less if some new members took more time to learn and study from reasoned answers posted by experienced members.

Si, man ! :thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

We just went to 2nd info pass this morning and when I ask about using my advance parole to go back in the philippines the IO she seem not so sure what to answer becoz I'm 40 days out of status and she looked on the computer my status change just this morning they approve my I-485

And I said I have to travel next week to pick up my k2 and she asked my passport I give it to her she stamp my passport to be safe to travel

I think the 2nd info pass help

Thank you

Timeline

We just went to 2nd info pass this morning and when I ask about using my advance parole to go back in the philippines the IO she seem not so sure what to answer becoz I'm 40 days out of status and she looked on the computer my status change just this morning they approve my I-485

And I said I have to travel next week to pick up my k2 and she asked my passport I give it to her she stamp my passport to be safe to travel

Thank you

Congrats !!

Timeline

(quoted post removed for continuing inappropriate discussion after moderator warning removed - VJ Moderation)

PLEASE, can you be gracious and congratulate the OP on a big day in their immigration journey? :wow:

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove quoted post already removed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thank you

Congrats on your green card approval! I am glad they gave you the I-551 stamp in your passport so you can go and get your child without worrying about AP and not having the actual green card in hand. That is good news for you.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Amen KayDee

Your opinion stated you would not use it if out of status for any amount of time. What other reason, other than the possibility of triggering a ban for overstay when leaving, would there be for not wanting to use AP if you had been out of status? Not an opinion or what you assume or believe may happen. An actual reason.

I posted information about why it is safe for an adjustment applicant to use the AP that was granted to them, even if they had overstay. No one ever stated re-entry was an absolute guarantee, and I pointed out there is no guaranteed entry with a green card either.

Also, if you look back, at first I did address your personal feelings on the matter by stating that if you personally did not want to use it, then don't. I would find it just as odd for someone to post that they would personally not use a K-1 visa to enter the US, even when they are in no position to ever need to use such a visa, because there is no guarantee of entry with a K-1 visa. Trying to scare other people away from using it based on your opinion is not helpful. People that have shared their experiences, good or bad, after actually using AP are helpful. Those type of posts can already be found here on VJ.

You have posted misinformation around VJ. You like to argue against the actual instructions and immigration laws in favor of how you think/believe/assume it should work. Misinformation, even if deemed 'simply an opinion', is still misinformation. It confuses the issue and hurts people looking for actual, straightforward answers to their questions. Bickering back and forth with your opinions/beliefs against the facts causes those correct, needed answers to get lost in the bogged down thread due to people trying to get the correct information out there. If you post misinformation, someone is bound to come along and correct it. It is not bashing you.

Your wife can safely use the AP to re-enter the US. I used mine once last year. I was away for a month. While in the USCIS website it does say a warning that the AP is not a guarantee for re-entry, fortunately in my case, there were no problems. You would also find posters here in VJ who also used their AP and didn't have any problems.

(quoted post removed as continuing inappropriate discussion after moderator warning removed - VJ Moderation)

Whoa, chill out. If you want to "discuss/exchange opinions and ideas", there is a sub-forum here on VJ for that in General Discussion/Off Topic sections. This subsection is for AOS that the OP needed FACTS on, not people's opinions. When I joined this forum, I needed facts to help me with my husband's petition and it was very helpful. Thank goodness people weren't wasting my time giving opinions. I'm sure people who seek help here would want help from experienced members . (One inappropriate comment has been edited out - VJ Moderation)

:ot2: CONGRATS TO YOU OP!

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove quoted comment already removed

(continuation of inappropriate discussion after moderator warning has been removed - VJ Moderation)

Oh, btw , congratulations on the approval.

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove inappropriate discussion

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

(quoted content already removed also removed -VJ Moderation)

There are facts regarding the use of AP for an adjustment applicant. I posted them in this thread. The use of AP is not a matter of opinion. You can Google Matter of Arrabally and Yerrabelly for yourself.

I posted a link to the BIA ruling, Matter of Arrabally and Yerrabelly and I posted a link and quote from the U.S. Department of State Foreign Affairs Manual stating the immigration law. It clearly does state that you can use AP to re-enter the US if you are an adjustment applicant. I bolded the part of the FAM section that said so. > The one exception to this rule (see also INA 212(a((9)(B)(v)) is that an alien cannot become inadmissible under INA 212(a)(9)(B)(i)(II) solely by virtue of a departure and return to the United States undertaken pursuant to a valid grant of advance parole based on the aliens pending application for adjustment of status.

Someone with overstay that is an adjustment applicant and has applied for and been given AP is not subject to the bar when leaving the US. They can use the AP to re-enter and be paroled back into the US. The I-131 instructions used to have a travel warning about not using it if you had been unlawfully present because you could trigger a 3 or 10 year bar. That warning has been removed. You can Google for an older version of the I-131 and see how they have changed since the BIA ruling in 2012.

No one is ever guaranteed re-entry with AP, overstay or not. Using it is up to the individual. I was just pointing out the law. If a lawyer advised you not to travel with AP before getting your green card. That is fine, but that does not mean the law states you cannot do so.

(additional commentary continuing the removed discussion has been edited out - VJ Moderation)

Edited by Kathryn41

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

First, congratulations to the OP on being approved as a Permanent Resident.

Second, a number of posts continuing the inappropriate discussion after the warning posted by a moderator have been removed or edited to remove the continuation of that inappropriate discussion.

Please do not hijack someone else's thread to discuss your 'opinions'. VJ works because we can share our personal experiences, but posting misinformation, even if you are trying to be helpful, may end up hurting someone rather than helping them. If you wish to get into a dialogue about the non-case specific in and outs of the immigration process, please use the General Immigration Discussion forum or the Immigration News and Discussion forum. Case specific threads are here to help the original poster with their particular circumstances, and 'opinion' unsubstantiated by experience or backed by documented sources hijack the thread away from the original intent.

As the OP has received a satisfactory conclusion to their personal circumstances it should no longer be necessary to post anything in this thread other than a 'congratulations'. Failure to follow this 'advice' will result in administrative action.

VJ Moderation

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Where's the eating popcorn smiley :idea: for this thread has been an interesting read.

Congratulations to the OP for getting this resolved. Now you have the I-551 stamp in your passport you do not need to worry about using the AP--I would still take it along as a back-up. Maybe the actual GC will arrive before travel.

Safe travels and again CONGRAT!.

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

OP, congratulations! :thumbs:

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

***One post continuing inappropriate discussion in this thread removed and one member thread banned for ignoring warnings to cease and desist.***

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.