24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello community

I find myself encountering a problem with the EAD card. So here is my story any advice will help.

So my husband got his EAD card in May and recently was offered a job. He started last week. But yesterday afternoon A lady from HR asked him if he knew what "vocatl stu pract trng only" meant under the terms and condition in his EAD card was!? He had no clue and asked me if I knew and had no idea also.

I spoke to my friend attorney and she didn't know what it either. So we looked back at the forms we sent and it seemed that we made a mistake on the form and put down a wrong code.

We will try to get this solve Monday morning, my attorney friend says she is confident it will get fix , I'm just curious if anyone has gone thru this problem? And what as the resolution. I just hope they don't terminated husbands job.

Any advice or comment is greatly appreciate.

Thanks

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

As mentioned on the paper that your EAD card was likely attached to when you received it:

Please call the USCIS National Customer Service Center, at 1-800-375-5283, if you find an error on your card (paraphrased). If it was due to an error made by USCIS they would likely be no charge to get your card changed. Not sure, since it was due to your filing code error.

Suggest that you contact the service center and start the process on getting a corrected card ASAP. Explain the situation to the HR folks.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Edited by A&B

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

I don't know company policy, hence the suggestion to explain the situation to HR.

Timeline

He seems to be approved for vocational student practical training only Never heard of that restriction before

Likely due to their submitting the incorrect code on the initial form...

Edited by A&B

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Would be for some one on an F1 visa, so it is not valid for work in this case.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

He came in a k1 visa .. We put down the incorrect code when applying for EAD that's why the terms and conditions. If is not valid for work then why would they have issued him an EAD card then?

He came in a k1 visa. We put down the wrong code when filling for EAD. If is not valid for work then why would they have giving him an EAD card?

Timeline

It is valid for work in a specific set of circumstances, it is not a general work anywhere you want card.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

What code did you use instead of the correct (c )(9 ) for an adjustment applicant? (c )(3 ), (c )(6 )? Odd that they would not notice you sent no evidence of having a student visa with your I-765, but maybe they just skimmed it, saw the code, and that is what you got. It is your mistake, so you would have to get it corrected or get your green card first before you can work.

Those on student visas with an EAD have restrictions on work > http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/students-and-exchange-visitors/students-and-employment

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

I checked the form we filled out last night on the computer and it said c6 , I was wondering that myself why wouldn't they have communicated with us before approving if it was for a student ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Then M-1 is what you stated you were applying for >

E. M-1 Student Seeking Practical Training After Completing Studies--(c )(6).

You needed this >

7. EAD Applicants Who Have Filed for Adjustment of Status

A. Adjustment Applicant--(c )(9).

I guess they just entered the code as it was entered on the form and the EAD was printed off that way. You can make an Infopass appointment and take in all your documentation. Let them know what the issue is and ask how you can get it fixed. My guess is they are going to tell you that you need re-file with the correct code this time, but it is worth a shot to see what they say.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

No harm trying for an expedite.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.