Hotter Otter

How long did it take you to feel at home in the US?

91 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Accents. I have decided to try and loose my Ulster Accent or at least try to tame it. Make it less harsh and develop a more American one. Unfortunately I was 41 when I arrived. I have been here fours years and my accent is as still a broad as it was when I arrived. Don't think I will ever loose it.

I don't ever intend losing my accent. It's a bigger positive than it is a negative. :thumbs:

It breaks the ice in conversations, captures peoples' interest and acts as a differentiator. As long as you speak clearly, so that people can hear the words, your accent will, more than likely work to your advantage.

On a related note, I stayed in a guest house on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls a few years ago and noted that the owner had a thick Glaswegian accent. So I asked him how long he'd been this side of The Big Pond. He told me. 29 years, working in the oil industry. :o

They say the Scots accents are the hardest to lose, and I can see why.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

I only carry quarters. I really can't be having a faff over anything less. I've been coming here for 20 years and I still don't get nickels <sp?> and dimes. I empty anything less than a quarter into my saving jar. Notes aren't much better. Has no-one ever thought of making them look different ?

Richard

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I normally dump my change on my other half. My last visit though I came back with a lot which subsequently got mixed up with my UK change, felt a bit special wondering why the coffee machine at work wasn't taking my 5p's...

Timeline

I only carry quarters. I really can't be having a faff over anything less. I've been coming here for 20 years and I still don't get nickels <sp?> and dimes. I empty anything less than a quarter into my saving jar. Notes aren't much better. Has no-one ever thought of making them look different ?

Yeah same here. Whenever I go over I always just dump anything under a quarter on Chelsea. She seems to think I am missing out on a fortune.

04/15/2014 - Filed I129-F

04/22/2014 - NOA 1 received (TSC)

08/11/2014 - Notice of transfer received (CSC)

09/18/2014 - NOA 2 received

11/12/2014 - Interview Date (approved)

12/01/2014 - US Arrival Date

12/10/2014 - Married

02/05/2014 - AOS Filed

02/28/2015 - Notified of Request for Initial Evidence

03/10/2015 - Sent Requested Evidence

04/03/2015 - EAD and Advanced Parole Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I don't ever intend losing my accent. It's a bigger positive than it is a negative. :thumbs:

It breaks the ice in conversations, captures peoples' interest and acts as a differentiator. As long as you speak clearly, so that people can hear the words, your accent will, more than likely work to your advantage.

On a related note, I stayed in a guest house on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls a few years ago and noted that the owner had a thick Glaswegian accent. So I asked him how long he'd been this side of The Big Pond. He told me. 29 years, working in the oil industry. :o

They say the Scots accents are the hardest to lose, and I can see why.

I'm glad that I live in a decent sized city so people don't bring up my accent all the time! Sometimes I forget I have one and tell people I'm not from the area and they are like "um yeah we can tell by your accent". What accent do you have Pooky? Would say that some English accents might be well received but some like Geordie may be hard for Americans to understand!

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

My accent is starting to be a weight. It puts a drag on conversations with new people I have to interact with.

It start by lengthening the interaction. I it adds the dead weight of dealing with "I love your accent?", "Where are you from? Ireland?". It is a pain to have to describe the whole two countries on on island thing. Then it is "Oh I have been to 'insert some BFE county or town here" in Ireland, do you know such and such that lives there?".

It was fun the first two hundred times but all this and I only wanted to order a burger and frigging fries.

Edited by 2ndMessiah

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Timeline

I'm still waiting on my NOA2 for k1 visa and am from Luton, Bedfordshire. My accent isn't quite cockney but still very common. I'm already SICK of being asked if I know the QUEEN and that I sound "JUST like Adele". I'll be moving to Decatur, Georgia where English accents aren't common at all. It does my nut in lol

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2014-03-03

I-129F NOA1: 2014-03-10

I-129F NOA2: 2014-08-28

Sent to NVC: 2014-09-03

Arrived at NVC: 2014-09-12

Case Number: 2014-09-16

Embassy Received Case: 2014-09-23

Medical (Passed). 2014-10-23

Interview (APPROVED) 2014-12-18

Visa In Hand. 2014-12-30

MOVING DAY!!! 2015-01-02

Wedding!! 2015-01-24

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I'm glad that I live in a decent sized city so people don't bring up my accent all the time! Sometimes I forget I have one and tell people I'm not from the area and they are like "um yeah we can tell by your accent". What accent do you have Pooky? Would say that some English accents might be well received but some like Geordie may be hard for Americans to understand!

My accent is hard to place. My home town is Portsmouth, but I don't have a "sahf coast" accent, as my Dad made sure I went to a good school, after my local comprehensive got barbecued. So I'm best described as well-spoken, with a tinge of Lancashire. Mind you, I have been described as the Geico Gecko, by an Owner's rep, Australian, Irish and even Scottish. :o

But I work with a couple of Jocks, a Geordie, a Tyke and an army of Micks, so what do I care? :whistle:

My accent is starting to be a weight. It puts a drag on conversations with new people I have to interact with.

It start by lengthening the interaction. I it adds the dead weight of dealing with "I love your accent?", "Where are you from? Ireland?". It is a pain to have to describe the whole two countries on on island thing. Then it is "Oh I have been to 'insert some BFE county or town here" in Ireland, do you know such and such that lives there?".

It was fun the first two hundred times but all this and I only wanted to order a burger and frigging fries.

Don't let it become a weight. :no:

I've been here for more than eight years and, no matter how many times it comes up, I smile when people comment about my accent, because, when they do, the ice has already been broken. Even if I'm in a hurry, I try to make the time to chat, because you never know what the outcome might be. Most of all, people will remember you, a valuable edge that one day may work in your favour.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline

My accent is hard to place. My home town is Portsmouth, but I don't have a "sahf coast" accent, as my Dad made sure I went to a good school, after my local comprehensive got barbecued. So I'm best described as well-spoken, with a tinge of Lancashire. Mind you, I have been described as the Geico Gecko, by an Owner's rep, Australian, Irish and even Scottish. :o

But I work with a couple of Jocks, a Geordie, a Tyke and an army of Micks, so what do I care? :whistle:

Don't let it become a weight. :no:

I've been here for more than eight years and, no matter how many times it comes up, I smile when people comment about my accent, because, when they do, the ice has already been broken. Even if I'm in a hurry, I try to make the time to chat, because you never know what the outcome might be. Most of all, people will remember you, a valuable edge that one day may work in your favour.

I am Australian, so obviously have an Australian accent, but I would also consider it to be a "well spoken Australian accent". I have been told I sound Scottish as well. it was the first time I have ever been confused to be a scotsman hahaha

I totally agree on not letting it weigh you down. I always get asked what my accent is, and I say Australian, and they all say I thought you would sound like Steve Irwin. But I don't let it bother me. Like Pooky said, it's an ice breaker.

12/10/2014 - Married

02/05/2014 - AOS Filed

I am Australian, so obviously have an Australian accent, but I would also consider it to be a "well spoken Australian accent". I have been told I sound Scottish as well. it was the first time I have ever been confused to be a scotsman hahaha

I totally agree on not letting it weigh you down. I always get asked what my accent is, and I say Australian, and they all say I thought you would sound like Steve Irwin. But I don't let it bother me. Like Pooky said, it's an ice breaker.

Funny, I have been accused of being Australian here. To tell you the truth, it is probably me becoming a grumpy old man more than anything else.

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

When I was in the south I was asked if I was Aussie a lot. I like the perspective on it being an ice breaker Pooky, I hadn't thought of it that way. Hopefully not a disadvantage in my job search lol

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Timeline

Yeah I think in the South, unless you have an exaggerated accent, it's harder for them to pick up what it is. I don't think it should be an issue for job searches. Hopefully anyway!

12/10/2014 - Married

02/05/2014 - AOS Filed

My accent is RP, pretty much like the Downton Abbey lot. I get comments on it at least once a day. Last night, we stopped into a Sonic to get one of their ice-cream milkshakes and I ordered via the tannoy system at the entrance. The person taking my order said over the tannoy 'Just to start, I love your accent!' Everyone around laughed.

I don't find it an issue face to face. And I also look at it as an ice-breaker. I sometimes have trouble being understood over the phone. We live in Kansas at the moment and will be moving to Texas soon.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My accent is RP, pretty much like the Downton Abbey lot. I get comments on it at least once a day. Last night, we stopped into a Sonic to get one of their ice-cream milkshakes and I ordered via the tannoy system at the entrance. The person taking my order said over the tannoy 'Just to start, I love your accent!' Everyone around laughed.

I don't find it an issue face to face. And I also look at it as an ice-breaker. I sometimes have trouble being understood over the phone. We live in Kansas at the moment and will be moving to Texas soon.

I was accused of having a 'fake English accent' at Sonic.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

I was accused of having a 'fake English accent' at Sonic.

I'll be going to a Renaissance Fair next Sunday where most of the staff will be trying out their fake English accents!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.