Jo Amelia Finlay

Interview waiver case letter - also informing of delays.

17 posts in this topic

Not sure if anyone else has received one of these lately? This is what it said, bit of a good and bad news situation really! Although at least now I have AP/EAD it doesn't stop me doing too much.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has identified your application as a potential interview waiver case. This means that we may not need to interview you to complete your application. However, if we later determine that an interview is required, we will schedule an interview appointment and notify you.

Due to workload factors not related to your case, USCIS anticipates a delay in completing your case. Presently, we anticipate that delay to be approximately 6 months from the date of this letter. If you do not receive a decision or other notice of action from USCIS by that date, please contact our National Customer Service Center.

I sincerely regret any inconvenience caused by this situation and appreciate your patience as we work diligently to provide the level of service you should expect.

I don't have much choice other than to be patient, do I?! :P Well, the initial K-1 application was mega delayed in being processed, so I am hardly surprised. These things are sent, etc etc.

Edited by Jo Amelia Finlay

AOS // 12 months 3 days
April 13, 2014 NOA1 - April 16, 2015 Approved

April 27, 2015 Greencard received

K-1 // 8 months
Feb 22, 2013 NOA1 - Oct 23, 2013 London Interview
March 18, 2014 Married

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based main forum to Progress Reports sub-forum - topic is case status ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

We got one of those back in March! Green card was in our mailbox by June.

But yes, as long as you have the EAD/AP card, it doesn't really matter since your green card will arrive before the year expiration date.

Good luck!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Timeline

But yes, as long as you have the EAD/AP card, it doesn't really matter since your green card will arrive before the year expiration date.

This is most likely and typically the case, but not always. Some people do need to file to renew their EAD and AP before their green card is approved. You can do it 90 days before they expire and the fees are still waived for renewal. You just need to include a copy of the receipt notice from filing the I-485.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

At least they sent a letter. I suppose that let's you know your file isn't lost in a black hole. Hearing anything is better than just waiting in the dark.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

This is most likely and typically the case, but not always. Some people do need to file to renew their EAD and AP before their green card is approved. You can do it 90 days before they expire and the fees are still waived for renewal. You just need to include a copy of the receipt notice from filing the I-485.

There is an exception to every rule. But it's rare that the EAD/AP expires before the green cards arrives.

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Filed in January and we got the exact same waiver letter in April, not a word since then, but can't complain as I have the EAD/AP.

Here is a thread about interview waiver letters and waiting times, in case you're interested: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/452854-notice-of-potential-interview-waiver-case/

Good luck!

Edited by topoftherock2013

I count myself lucky then. I filed on 4 March, got EAD/AP May, and 27 June received the potential intent waiver letter. 10 July approved and 18 July wife received card. Excited that I didn't have to wait months.

Fingers crossed for those waiting that you get yours soon.

Edited by PhilLuv

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I count myself lucky then. I filed on 4 March, got EAD/AP May, and 27 June received the potential intent waiver letter. 10 July approved and 18 July wife received card. Excited that I didn't have to wait months.

Congratulatios!!!!! Thats awesome!

You have done well then, i filed early Nov '13, got waiver letter in Feb and then nothing to date regarding GC. Got EAD/AP in Jan so at least I can travel for work, just a pain having to use the visitors queue every time I return and go to secondary of course.

Timeline

There is an exception to every rule. But it's rare that the EAD/AP expires before the green cards arrives.

What is the definition of rare here? To me rare means hardly ever, as in once in a blue moon. More people than that have been waiting 9+ months for their green card approvals and have needed to file to renew their EAD. I have seen more people asking about it than I would consider rare. You posted that the green card would arrive before their EAD expires, and I pointed out that while probably true, it is not the case for everyone and not absolute as you stated.

You have done well then, i filed early Nov '13, got waiver letter in Feb and then nothing to date regarding GC. Got EAD/AP in Jan so at least I can travel for work, just a pain having to use the visitors queue every time I return and go to secondary of course.

Your timeline is right on with my husband's timeline. We also filed at Chicago. I'd like to think you'll be getting your Green Card soon!

I agree with the secondary inspection. The AP is great, but that secondary inspection isn't the most fun place to be. The green card alleviates that step, and it's great to be able to get through immigration without that additional screening.

What is the definition of rare here? To me rare means hardly ever, as in once in a blue moon. More people than that have been waiting 9+ months for their green card approvals and have needed to file to renew their EAD. I have seen more people asking about it than I would consider rare. You posted that the green card would arrive before their EAD expires, and I pointed out that while probably true, it is not the case for everyone and not absolute as you stated.

I'm posting based on my own experience (which is similar) and those I have seen which are also similar. As a UK citizen adjusting from a K-1, my opinion is that it would be rare to not have the Green Card before the EAD/AP expires. Nothing with immigration is a guarantee or 100% true, and no two cases are identical, but I gave advice based on what I have seen and experienced.

Timeline

I'm posting based on my own experience (which is similar) and those I have seen which are also similar. As a UK citizen adjusting from a K-1, my opinion is that it would be rare to not have the Green Card before the EAD/AP expires. Nothing with immigration is a guarantee or 100% true, and no two cases are identical, but I gave advice based on what I have seen and experienced.

I was posting based on the fact that others have needed to get the EAD renewed and stating absolutes where there is no absolute guarantee can cause disappointment and confusion if it doesn't go that way after all. Both being from the UK will not make your experiences or timelines the same for the processing of AOS. It varies from case to case based on whether or not they get an interview, and processing times of their local USCIS office, if they do get called for an interview. As you just said, "Nothing with immigration is a guarantee or 100% true, and no two cases are identical.." That is what I pointed out to begin with.

I was posting based on the fact that others have needed to get the EAD renewed and stating absolutes where there is no absolute guarantee can cause disappointment and confusion if it doesn't go that way after all. Both being from the UK will not make your experiences or timelines the same for the processing of AOS. It varies from case to case based on whether or not they get an interview, and processing times of their local USCIS office, if they do get called for an interview. As you just said, "Nothing with immigration is a guarantee or 100% true, and no two cases are identical.." That is what I pointed out to begin with.

I always agreed with you once you corrected my original post. We've been on the same page all along.

We're both here (along with everyone else) to help the OP to the best of our ability.

OP - hope your journey is best case scenario!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.