USAzorro

Evidence of prior marriage termination

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

We are filing for a K-1 visa and in this document it instructs if any of us was married before we need to prove that prior marriage have been terminated.

Stupid question is: Do I need to send all pages of my divorce decree or just the first page where it indicated the date of marriage termination?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

A copy of every page of the divorce decree. If anyone has a decree not in English, then they need an English translation of it as well.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

ALL pages. You will also have to send you fiance the original or a certified copy (depending on the Consulate) for the interview because that is exactly whats holding us up right now!

K-1 Timeline- 6 Month Process

2-26-14 NOA1

4-04-14 NOA2

6-13-14 Interview (221g Divorce Decree)

6-20-14 Document Sent

7-16-14 Email Request for Liquid Assets

7-23-14 Documents Sent

7-31-14 Case Creation Date changed

8-14-14 ISSUED!!

8-18-14 Visa in Hand

8-20-14 POE

10-11-14 Wedding

AOS & EAD Timeline

11-04-14 Express Mailed to Chicago

11-05-14 Delivered

11-07-14 NOA 1 via text

11-10-14 Check Cashed

11-13-14 Both NOA1's received in the mail

11-22-14 Biometrics letter received

12-03-14 Biometrics Appointment

01-15-15 EAD APPROVED!!!

02-23-15 Interview Waiver Letter Received

09-22-15 GC APPROVED!!!

09-26-15 GC IN HAND!

Bye USCIS until June 2017!

~Abby~

ALL pages. You will also have to send you fiance the original or a certified copy (depending on the Consulate) for the interview because that is exactly whats holding us up right now!

@Abby and Andre, what are all these dates that appear at the bottom of your post? Just curious.

Thanks to all for your responses!

Timeline

@Abby and Andre, what are all these dates that appear at the bottom of your post? Just curious.

Thanks to all for your responses!

I (the US citizen) was previously married. I sent my fiance copies of my divorce decree for his interview not knowing that they would ask for the original or a certified copy (stupid me for not researching better). We were given a 221g and told we would be approved after meeting this requirement. Well we are still waiting. It has been 3 weeks since they received it. The dates you are asking about are the days the CEAC website showed an update which typically means someone has "touched" your case. We are hoping for an approval and a visa soon!

Good luck on your journey! Patience is a virtue. :D

2-26-14 NOA1

4-04-14 NOA2

6-20-14 Document Sent

7-23-14 Documents Sent

8-14-14 ISSUED!!

8-18-14 Visa in Hand

8-20-14 POE

10-11-14 Wedding

AOS & EAD Timeline

11-05-14 Delivered

11-07-14 NOA 1 via text

11-10-14 Check Cashed

01-15-15 EAD APPROVED!!!

09-22-15 GC APPROVED!!!

09-26-15 GC IN HAND!

~Abby~

I (the US citizen) was previously married. I sent my fiance copies of my divorce decree for his interview not knowing that they would ask for the original or a certified copy (stupid me for not researching better). We were given a 221g and told we would be approved after meeting this requirement. Well we are still waiting. It has been 3 weeks since they received it. The dates you are asking about are the days the CEAC website showed an update which typically means someone has "touched" your case. We are hoping for an approval and a visa soon!

Good luck on your journey! Patience is a virtue. :D

How do we find out if the consulate (Hungary in our case) will require either the original or a certified copy?

Thanks so much for your help!

Xavier

Timeline

How do we find out if the consulate (Hungary in our case) will require either the original or a certified copy?

Xavier

A certified copy is just as good as the original so it won't matter which one you send. My original does not have a raised seal, so I opted to send in the certified copy with the seal instead. The Consulate will send you instructions on what to bring before the interview. You can also check out the specific forum for Hungary on here.

Also :time: It really helps everyone else to answer your questions more specific to the country and situation. Thanks:D

2-26-14 NOA1

4-04-14 NOA2

6-20-14 Document Sent

7-23-14 Documents Sent

8-14-14 ISSUED!!

8-18-14 Visa in Hand

8-20-14 POE

10-11-14 Wedding

AOS & EAD Timeline

11-05-14 Delivered

11-07-14 NOA 1 via text

11-10-14 Check Cashed

01-15-15 EAD APPROVED!!!

09-22-15 GC APPROVED!!!

09-26-15 GC IN HAND!

~Abby~

For the petition, ALL pages of your divorce, especially the page the judge signed it! :) As for needing a certified copy, we didn't need one for the Irish embassy. It wasn't asked for and My fiance got his visa within a few days. The embassy your fiance is going through will likely have it on the list of things to bring/email/send to the embassy for the interview (This list will come in "packet 3").

Edited for typos. :ranting:

Edited by Tina and Johan

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

A certified copy is just as good as the original so it won't matter which one you send. My original does not have a raised seal, so I opted to send in the certified copy with the seal instead. The Consulate will send you instructions on what to bring before the interview. You can also check out the specific forum for Hungary on here.

Also :time: It really helps everyone else to answer your questions more specific to the country and situation. Thanks

Ok so I have a question. About to mail off our initial petition. Should we send certified copies with the petition of the divorce decree or should we just send copies and give certified copies to fiance to take to the interview? It is for UK embassy in London. I was going to send certified copies for interview and copies of them for the petition in case it got lost. What do you guys think? Since I know not all embassy require it to be certified. Thanks so much!

Edited by CheekyMonkeys

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Xavier

No one has their original. The courts have that. What you get from the court is a certified copy. It is certified by the court that it is an actual copy of the original they have on file. You need to send a photocopy of the certified divorce decree you get from the court. You can always get an extra certified copy to take for the K-1 visa interview, if you are worried they will want to see the 'original' of your copy sent with the I-129F petition.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.