Harpa Timsah

Berkeley, California orders free pot for poor patients

7 posts in this topic

(Reuters) - A California college town known for its liberal activism has voted to make medicinal marijuana dispensaries give away free a small amount of their pot to the poor.

Berkeley City Council members voted unanimously late on Tuesday to instruct local outlets to provide marijuana equal to 2 percent of their sales to patients on low incomes.

"It's an equity issue," Council member Darryl Moore told Reuters. "We want to ensure that those who are in need have access to the medication necessary to treat their condition."

Under the law, which takes effect next month, the marijuana given away free must be of the same quality as that given to paying customers.

The rule defines low income as medical marijuana patients who make at most half the area's median annual income, or $32,000 or less for an individual or $46,000 for a family of four.

The council also amended its medical marijuana law to increase the number of pot dispensaries to four from three, and will consider upping that number to six next year.

Medicinal pot is a significant industry in Berkeley where the dispensaries paid nearly $640,000 in city taxes last fiscal year, according to official records.

Charles Pappas, a member of the city's Medical Cannabis Commission, said residents wanted to take care of each other.

"Our mantra is, 'The best medicine for the lowest possible cost for people in need,'" he said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/09/us-usa-marijuana-berkeley-idUSKBN0FE2BN20140709

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I can't begin to fathom how a family of 4 can live in/near Berkeley on $46,000... If they can get free medication, all the more power to them!

I got a friend moved to California . La Verne I think it is. She has her home for sale for 698,000. It would be about a 175,000 house here. She is upgrading to a 1.1 Mil house. 1.1 here would get you a mansion on a lake .

So now they are going to give free weed to poor people. SMH

I can't begin to fathom how a family of 4 can live in/near Berkeley on $46,000... If they can get free medication, all the more power to them!

Let's not pretend Weed is anything more than what it is. Something to get you buzzed. I know there are some medical applications, but be honest. The vast majority of Medical marijuana users just want to get high. I don't really have an issue with that, cause I don't think it's as bad as alcohol, but lets not pretend it is something it isn't

P.S. If they had legal weed here i would probably take advantage of it .

NB Questionnaire

Question one.

1. Why do you need medical marijuana ------ Stress

2. Why do you have stress------ Lack of Marijuana

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I got a friend moved to California . La Verne I think it is. She has her home for sale for 698,000. It would be about a 175,000 house here. She is upgrading to a 1.1 Mil house. 1.1 here would get you a mansion on a lake .

So now they are going to give free weed to poor people. SMH

There are several programs that provide free medication to those in need. That is nothing noteworthy. I am thinking however they will be hard pressed to find a family of four in the Bay Area living on $ 46,000 a year - THAT would be real news... I don't think a single young person could live on that, much less a family.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

There are several programs that provide free medication to those in need. That is nothing noteworthy. I am thinking however they will be hard pressed to find a family of four in the Bay Area living on $ 46,000 a year - THAT would be real news... I don't think a single young person could live on that, much less a family.

I will have to take your word on that. All I know about the bay area is that it is populated by a bunch of smelly hippies :)

I got a distant cousin lives in San Fransisco. When my mom was terminally ill he called her home to check on her and I talked to him. He started talking about her what a positive Auru she gave off, and how her energy vibes were all so warm and positive. The rambled on about her spirit force etc etc...

MOON BAT

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

I will have to take your word on that. All I know about the bay area is that it is populated by a bunch of smelly hippies :)

I got a distant cousin lives in San Fransisco. When my mom was terminally ill he called her home to check on her and I talked to him. He started talking about her what a positive Auru she gave off, and how her energy vibes were all so warm and positive. The rambled on about her spirit force etc etc...

MOON BAT

I heard that too. I would stay away if I were you.

In any case, everyone can apply for free medication if they qualify.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org