3,164 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

My f2b pd is 09/2010 filed in april 2016 based on dates of filing charts. Interview got scheduled in september 2016

But my pd is not current yet.

Wow Good, Which country your are? when your case was completed and after how much time of completion they sent you interview letter?

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

She then asked my daughter and i if we intended to get married before we leave the country?We said no.She then said if we intended to marry then our visas will be cancelled.Then we had to sign a form my daughter and i that we cannot marry.

This is really interesting!

What kind of form did you sign?

I've been living with my girlfriend for the last 7 years. We have a civil marriage. And we are planning to get married right away as soon as I get my GC.

As I understand it, I can not get married before I arrived in the US, because my immigrant visa (which, as I understand, I need only to cross the border) will be cancelled. I do not want to lie on interview, but I hope no one has a right to forbid me to arrive in US using IV, wait for actual GC arrived in mail, go back home to Russia, get married, and return to US to file another I-130 for my wife?

Are there any pitfalls?

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I've been living with my girlfriend for the last 7 years. We have a civil marriage. And we are planning to get married right away as soon as I get my GC.

As I understand it, I can not get married before I arrived in the US, because my immigrant visa (which, as I understand, I need only to cross the border) will be cancelled. I do not want to lie on interview, but I hope no one has a right to forbid me to arrive in US using IV, wait for actual GC arrived in mail, go back home to Russia, get married, and return to US to file another I-130 for my wife?

Are there any pitfalls?

I can only speak for my country, dunno if the laws there are similar or no - but unless there is a marriage certificate, signed by both parties and legally registered, technically she's still your girlfriend\fiancee.

I don't think there is anything wrong for you to enter the country, receive your green card then go back to your home country to marry.

You will need to return to the US - your new wife cannot return with you, she'll have to wait until her application is complete and basically do the same thing you did when you applied and interviewed.

Do you have a registered marriage, with a certificate signed by both parties?

*** Father Immigrated with 9 y/o sister in 2009

• I-130: Oct 2010  //  NVC appr: Nov 28, 2010 // RFE rec'd: May 14, 2014 // RFE returned with DNA test Jul 28, 2014  // I-130 approval rec'd Aug 18, 2014 // NVC rec'd Oct 31, 2014 // Welcome letter recd Feb 22, 2016 // AOS bill / IV bill paid Mar 27, 2016 //  Sent in supporting docs, Aug 11, 2016

*** Father became naturalized Citizen in Nov 2016, sent in opt-out request, received Nov. 2016, 

• Case complete Nov 11, 2016 // Interview Package rec'd May 5, 2017 //   Medical May 17 ,2017 // Interview: Jun 2, 2017 // Passport rec'd Jun 8, 2017 // POE: Jun 22, 2017 // SSN changed Oct 08, 2017 // GC/I-551 rec'd - Jul 15, 2017

** Filing for naturalization (N400)

• PD 3/31/2022
  • Biometrics: 4/26/2022
  • Interview Date: 11/21/2022
  • Oath Ceremony:

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Are there any pitfalls?

What do you mean that you have a civil marriage?

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

My f2b pd is 09/2010 filed in april 2016 based on dates of filing charts. Interview got scheduled in september 2016

But my pd is not current yet.

Kindly confirm your Pd and are you sure that you receive interview letter??Please update ..

Timeline

Kindly confirm your Pd and are you sure that you receive interview letter??Please update ..

He is adjusting status in the US and the adjustment of status interview is here. This is NOT a visa interview. His processing will be different from those waiting for visa interviews.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

I can only speak for my country, dunno if the laws there are similar or no - but unless there is a marriage certificate, signed by both parties and legally registered, technically she's still your girlfriend\fiancee.

I don't think there is anything wrong for you to enter the country, receive your green card then go back to your home country to marry.

You will need to return to the US - your new wife cannot return with you, she'll have to wait until her application is complete and basically do the same thing you did when you applied and interviewed.

Do you have a registered marriage, with a certificate signed by both parties?

What do you mean that you have a civil marriage?

I'm sorry for the confusion. In Russia, in colloquial speech, term "Civil marriage" is used to refer to the actual cohabitation. So it is not a legally registered wedlock :)

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

He is adjusting status in the US and the adjustment of status interview is here. This is NOT a visa interview. His processing will be different from those waiting for visa interviews.

Would you please make it clearer? He sent the documents to USCIS once he received the welcome letter from NVC? So he send the documents before the current day becomes current?

Timeline

Would you please make it clearer? He sent the documents to USCIS once he received the welcome letter from NVC? So he send the documents before the current day becomes current?

He is already inside the US. His case is being processed inside the US because he is already here. His interview will be in the US and can happen before his PD is current. He has applied to adjust his status for a green card. He does not need an immigration visa. The law allows him to stay and work until his PD is current until he can receive a green card. While the law does not allow him to get a green card until his PD is current, it does allow him to stay and work while he waits.

Most of you are outside the US. Your cases will be processed at US embassies and consulates in your countries. Your interviews will be at the US embassies and consulates when your PD is current. You will apply for immigration visas which automatically get you green cards when you enter the US. You can not get immigration visas until your PD is current.

Before you even ask if you can get a visitor visa or the VWP to enter the US to adjust status; the answer is no. If you are already here, then you can do it. You can not come to the US on visitor visas with the intent to adjust status.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

He is already inside the US. His case is being processed inside the US because he is already here. His interview will be in the US and can happen before his PD is current. He has applied to adjust his status for a green card. He does not need an immigration visa. The law allows him to stay and work until his PD is current until he can receive a green card. While the law does not allow him to get a green card until his PD is current, it does allow him to stay and work while he waits.

Most of you are outside the US. Your cases will be processed at US embassies and consulates in your countries. Your interviews will be at the US embassies and consulates when your PD is current. You will apply for immigration visas which automatically get you green cards when you enter the US. You can not get immigration visas until your PD is current.

Before you even ask if you can get a visitor visa or the VWP to enter the US to adjust status; the answer is no. If you are already here, then you can do it. You can not come to the US on visitor visas with the intent to adjust status.

Thank you so much for your answer. I am also in US and working here. I came to US with a nonimmigrant visa. I was asking you the question because one of the people here filled the documents pertinent to the AOS and then sent to the USCIS before his PD becomes current and he got refusal letter. Moreover, based on what it is declared by USCIS website, one is planning to do the AOS should follow the finish date chart not the filling date, please see the attached link.

https://www.uscis.gov/visabulletininfo

Please share if you have any other idea or ...

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello

Good day!

My name is Christa from the Philippines.
My mom applied my visa last July 2015.
Then I got a letter from NVC, it say's my Category is F2B.

For How long should I wait for my number?

- At the same time, my mom applied for my younger brother last July 2015.
He was still 17 years old when it was filed.
- He's category was F1

- He got the last final action letter this month. (good for him)

Please reply and help me.

Thank you!

Timeline

Hello

Good day!

My name is Christa from the Philippines.

My mom applied my visa last July 2015.

Then I got a letter from NVC, it say's my Category is F2B.

For How long should I wait for my number?

- At the same time, my mom applied for my younger brother last July 2015.

He was still 17 years old when it was filed.

- He's category was F1

- He got the last final action letter this month. (good for him)

Please reply and help me.

Thank you!

Hi,

The current Priority Date for the F2b category for the Philippines is September 15, 2005. Google "Visa Bulletin."

It will probably take about another 10 years fro you to be eligible for a visa.

Your brother is in the F2a category where the petitioner is an LPR. F1 would require a USC petitioner.

Best of luck.

Edited by aaron2020

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.