gooder

Help needed with a vague Checklist

1 post in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

SCENARIO: After turning in our AOS and IV packets we were unfortunate to get a checklist back. "In Part 6. Sponsor's Income and Employment, please correct the following... [x] Item 13.a. You must include your 2013 tax and income information." At the time of filing I wasn't done with my 2013 taxes and I am an American citizen living abroad so I got a 2 month automatic extension. I stated that in a letter to the NVC folks and included a print out from the IRS webpage stating what I said was true.

So, I of course I went along and listed my most recent 3 years which was 2012, 2011, and 2010 for Part 6. 13.a, b, and c. However that is apparently wrong and according to several NVC officers I spoke with they said that I just need to write 2013, 2012, and 2011 taxes even though I did not file for 2013 at the time. Here's where everyone's answers get mixed up, when I asked would I need to include my 2013 taxes along with the fixed I-864 some said no because they just want me to write the year 2013 and that I already included the information about my taxes and that is that. Others say I should include my 2013 taxes.

My question is, can the NVC actually make me show them my 2013 taxes (ie transcripts) in retrospect to the time I sent my packet to them (did not file 2013 taxes at the time)?

or

Do I just need to write in 2013 under part 6 item 13.a. and not include any evidence that I ever filed?

I ask this because I just recently filed my 2013 taxes and have yet to get anything back and of course I want to hurry up and send this fix back to the NVC, but I also don't want to get another checklist. Much is appreciated!!! Thanks to all!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.