Erica & L

Pre-Interview Questions - Advise Please!!

12 posts in this topic

Hey so this might be the first thread of many, but I was hoping someone could look at my list and answer a few questions I may have regarding my upcoming interview, at least all the questions that have come to my mind right now.

First off, here is what I have accumulated so far:

Accordion File (Originals):

Section 1: USCIS Correspondence:

· I-485 NOA1 (Copy)

· I-130 NOA1 (Copy)

· I-765 NOA1 (Copy)

· Biometrics Appointment Letter (Copy)

· EAD Approval Letter (Copy)

· Interview Appointment Letter

· I-130 Change of Address Notification

· I-864 Sponsor’s Change of Address Notification

· (2) Print Screen Confirmation for Change of Address

· (2) Print Screen Confirmation for Change of Address (Second Attempt)

· Confirmation Numbers for Change of Address

Section 2: Identification and Immigration Status:

· Both Passports (Copy of Biometric Page)

· Both Birth Certificates (Copy)

· Both Drivers’ Licenses (Copy)

· Both SSN cards (Copy)

· Beneficiary’s EAD card (Copy)

· Beneficiary’s I-94 (Web Version) (Copy)

· I-94 Passport Stamp (Copy)

· Marriage Certificate (Copy)

· Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate (Original Copy and Copy)

Section 3: Co-Mingling Evidence/Affidavits:

· Void Check for Petitioner and Beneficiary(Copy)

· (6) Most Recent Bank Statements for RBC Canada Joint Account

· (6) Most Recent Bank Statements for RBC US Joint Account

· Legal Letter from RBC US(Copy)

· Both Debit Cards (Copy)

· Passport Stamp from Petitioner’s Visit to Canada(Copy)

· Marriage Trip Receipts (Copy)

· Previous Rental Agreement (Copy)

· Current Rental Agreement

· Joint Cable Bill

· Previous Life Insurance Documents (Copy)

· Current Life Insurance Documents

· Emergency Contact Documents (Copy)

· Wedding Ring Receipts (Copy)

· Letters from Family/Friends Addressed to Petitioner and Beneficiary (Copy)

· (4) Affidavits from Family/Friends (Copy)

Section 4: Personal Correspondence

· Screenshots from Skype

· Screenshots from Facebook

· Mutual Letter/Notes

· Canada Post Documentation from Gift Sent to Canada

Section 5: Tax Information

· Petitioner’s Tax Transcripts for: 2013 (MFS), 2012 2011, 2010

· Petitioner’s Previous Employment Letter

· Petitioner’s Last (6) Paystubs from Previous Job

· Petitioner’s Current Employment Letter

· Petitioner’s Last 5 Paystubs from Current Job

· Co-Sponsor’s Tax Transcripts for: 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010

· Copy of Co-Sponsor’s Birth Certificate

Section 6: Application Forms & Misc

· New I-864 Affidavit of Support for Petitioner

· Copy of I-693 Record of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record

· Copy of Original Checks sent to USCIS

· Violation Ticket Exemption Letter

· 2 Extraneous Passport Photos

3-Ring Binder #1 (Copies):

· Includes All Documents in Accordion File

3-Ring Binder #2 (Photos):

· Pictures from Vancouver

· Pictures from Alabama

· Marriage Pictures in Maryland

*Ignore the colours and other things, that's just showing me when I have made copies of, what I still need to print off and make copies of etc*

Now, my questions are (in no particular order):

1. Does wife have to fill out new I-864 and bring it since she started a new job after sending our our initial application just to be safe? What do I put for annual income because she started her new job AFTER filing our 2013 taxes?

2. Are all the supporting documents necessary if they can’t be considered “concrete proof”? For example, I have birthday cards and letters from family/friends but they don't have any dates or official signatures or anything like that on them but I thought it wouldn't hurt to bring them. Some of them are just banter and back and forth silliness at us as a couple etc, not something professional like an affidavit. Should I bother including them?

3. Appropriate attire for the interview? Business-casual? Should I remove my facial piercings? I just didn't know because all my pictures they have I have coloured hair and my piercings showing, so I didn't want to come off as deceitful or like I'm trying to hide what I actually look like (however my hair is currently just brown)

4. A few weeks ago my mother-in-law basically went crazy and was very rude/disrespectful to my wife and myself so we're currently not on speaking terms at the moment. However she wrote an affidavit for us back in January that we sent with our application, can we still include the affidavit? Do we have to let them know any of this information? I'm not sure if they ask how close we are to each other's families in the interview (which I think shouldn't matter, not everyone in close with their parents, much like myself)

5. I still haven't heard anything regarding my Change of Address for the I-765 and the I-485, and I submitted another request last Friday. Should I just bring my Change of Address Confirmation Numbers and the emails I received if II still don't get anything in the mail by then? Could they physically update it in their system at our interview if necessary so our GC gets sent to our current address upon approval?

6. In regards to pictures, do all of the pictures have to be us together or can they be like my wife with my friends or me with my wife's friends or either one of us posing in front of something when she came to visit me in Canada etc?

Edited by Erica & Lily

AOS:

Green Card Received in 168 Days

ROC

06/17/2016: ROC Mailed via USPS Express in Large Flate-Rate Box to Vermont Service Center (P.O. Box)

06/18/2016: ROC Delivered by USPS

06/22/2016: Check Cashed

06/24/2016: NOA1 Received Dated 06/20/2016

07/09/2016: ASC Appointment Notice Received Dated 07/02/2016 & Scheduled 07/21/2016

07/21/2016: Biometrics Successfully Completed (Birmingham)

05/18/2017: InfoPass Appointment - 1-Year Extension Stamp Received

06/06/2017: ROC Approval Letter Received Dated 05/30/2017

06/14/2017: Green Card Delivered!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

First off, that evidence list looks really comprehensive :) Anyway...

1. Does wife have to fill out new I-864 and bring it since she started a new job after sending our our initial application just to be safe? What do I put for annual income because she started her new job AFTER filing our 2013 taxes?

My husband got a raise after sending out our initial application, we didn't fill out a new I-864 and it was fine for us.

2. Are all the supporting documents necessary if they can’t be considered “concrete proof”? For example, I have birthday cards and letters from family/friends but they don't have any dates or official signatures or anything like that on them but I thought it wouldn't hurt to bring them. Some of them are just banter and back and forth silliness at us as a couple etc, not something professional like an affidavit. Should I bother including them?

I'd recommend bringing everything, because a lot of evidence is circumstantial to some extent and they will be useful as day-to-day evidence if the interview starts turning sour. We brought flight itineraries of domestic flights that we took together, and just because the itineraries have both our names doesn't mean that we were both on the plane. But the IO still accepted it as evidence, even before we showed him how the dates on our photos lined up with the dates on our flight itineraries.

3. Appropriate attire for the interview? Business-casual? Should I remove my facial piercings? I just didn't know because all my pictures they have I have coloured hair and my piercings showing, so I didn't want to come off as deceitful or like I'm trying to hide what I actually look like (however my hair is currently just brown)

Don't know about the piercings, but we dressed up for the interview as if we were going for a job interview.

4. A few weeks ago my mother-in-law basically went crazy and was very rude/disrespectful to my wife and myself so we're currently not on speaking terms at the moment. However she wrote an affidavit for us back in January that we sent with our application, can we still include the affidavit? Do we have to let them know any of this information? I'm not sure if they ask how close we are to each other's families in the interview (which I think shouldn't matter, not everyone in close with their parents, much like myself)

The IO didn't seem to care about the details of our relationship with our in-laws, or parents. I don't think bringing the affidavit will hurt, but there is no need to highlight to the IO that things with the in-laws are not looking great.

5. I still haven't heard anything regarding my Change of Address for the I-765 and the I-485, and I submitted another request last Friday. Should I just bring my Change of Address Confirmation Numbers and the emails I received if II still don't get anything in the mail by then? Could they physically update it in their system at our interview if necessary so our GC gets sent to our current address upon approval?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh stop sending requests. I changed addresses while waiting for my interview to be scheduled and fell into that trap too because of my nerves when USCIS wasn't responding to my Change of Address requests, and happened to talk to an L2 when I called the National Service Center to try to file my 2nd request, and he sounded really annoyed, "You're just hurting yourself by resubmitting requests." You could try asking during the interview, our interviewer kept clicking on a computer when he approved our case on the spot so I'm assuming the IO interviewer has access to these things.

6. In regards to pictures, do all of the pictures have to be us together or can they be like my wife with my friends or me with my wife's friends or either one of us posing in front of something when she came to visit me in Canada etc?

From the way our interviewer was behaving, it seems like they value pictures better when it's you + your SO + other people, I think because then it means you have nothing to hide about your relationship. So you + wife's friends or wife + your friends would probably be good too. Bonus points if you have pictures of you + your SO + family members, Mr. Interviewer definitely seemed to really like those.

Good luck for your interview!!

Visit me at: http://littlealienmusings.blogspot.com/

06-2009 Granted Student Visa
09-2009 Entered the US for the 1st time via LAX, started school
12-2009 Met and dated the then-Boyfriend-now-Hubby
04-2010 Got an SSN through on-campus job
05-2011 Moved in with the then-Boyfriend-now-Hubby
03-2013 Filed I-765 for F-1 OPT
04-2013 Got engaged to the then-Fiance-now Hubby, worked part time on F-1 CPT
06-2013 Graduated with a B.S., F-1 OPT approved, worked full time on F-1 OPT
09-2013 Got married to the Hubby
10-2013 Filed I-485, I-130, I-693, I-864, G-325A's
11-2013 Biometrics, filed I-131
12-2013 I-131 approved (got a lawyer to expedite processing)
03-2014 Filed AR-11, I-865 for change of address
04-2014 Interview notice for Cinco de Mayo
05-2014 I-130/I-485 approved on the spot, I-551 mailed to new address within 7 calendar days

First off, that evidence list looks really comprehensive :) Anyway...

My husband got a raise after sending out our initial application, we didn't fill out a new I-864 and it was fine for us.

I'd recommend bringing everything, because a lot of evidence is circumstantial to some extent and they will be useful as day-to-day evidence if the interview starts turning sour. We brought flight itineraries of domestic flights that we took together, and just because the itineraries have both our names doesn't mean that we were both on the plane. But the IO still accepted it as evidence, even before we showed him how the dates on our photos lined up with the dates on our flight itineraries.

Don't know about the piercings, but we dressed up for the interview as if we were going for a job interview.

The IO didn't seem to care about the details of our relationship with our in-laws, or parents. I don't think bringing the affidavit will hurt, but there is no need to highlight to the IO that things with the in-laws are not looking great.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh stop sending requests. I changed addresses while waiting for my interview to be scheduled and fell into that trap too because of my nerves when USCIS wasn't responding to my Change of Address requests, and happened to talk to an L2 when I called the National Service Center to try to file my 2nd request, and he sounded really annoyed, "You're just hurting yourself by resubmitting requests." You could try asking during the interview, our interviewer kept clicking on a computer when he approved our case on the spot so I'm assuming the IO interviewer has access to these things.

From the way our interviewer was behaving, it seems like they value pictures better when it's you + your SO + other people, I think because then it means you have nothing to hide about your relationship. So you + wife's friends or wife + your friends would probably be good too. Bonus points if you have pictures of you + your SO + family members, Mr. Interviewer definitely seemed to really like those.

Good luck for your interview!!

Thank you for the response.

1. I wanted to go ahead and print out another I-864 just in case, but because she started the job after filing our 2013 taxes, I felt like the current annual income section wouldn't be accurate regardless?

2. My only concern was some of the letters are just playful and stupid with the occasional swear word (in a back and forth joking kind of way) so I didn't want to see unprofessional.

5. I only sent a second request because I read threads where people's lawyers advised them to go ahead and send another request. I guess I'll just have to wait and see? Did you eventually get all your confirmations and how long did it take?

6. I have OCD and being in pictures is one of my compulsions and therefore I try to avoid it as much as possible because of how stressed out and uncomfortable I get. I have about 30 pictures in total but they are most just my wife and I because I can only deal with it if I take or approve the picture. I also have like 4 from our ceremony at the courthouse because my mother-in-law deleted the other few we had off her camera in spite. I've heard of people bringing much fewer photos and not having a problem so I hope I'll be okay... I am not close with any of my family and right now we are close to my wife's either so family photos are kind of a bust.

AOS:

ROC

06/17/2016: ROC Mailed via USPS Express in Large Flate-Rate Box to Vermont Service Center (P.O. Box)

07/09/2016: ASC Appointment Notice Received Dated 07/02/2016 & Scheduled 07/21/2016

Answers to some of your questions:

Q2: For my AoS, I included birthday cards (and other greeting cards) where family members and friends did not necessarily date them. What's important is that those greeting cards include both your names in the texts. Also include the envelopes if the cards were mailed to you. That's good evidence to show the USPS dates in your relationship and the residence you both lived in.

Q3. I've been told that people should dress business casual which is what my hubby and I did. However at the time of our interview, most people were dressed business formal! It's entirely up to you if you want to remove piercings. All I can say is that if I had piercings, I'd probably have removed them for the interview.

Q4. It's ok to include mom-in-law's affidavit since she wrote it after all. However there's no need to discuss about the current issues you have with her. My personal motto during interview was to only answer questions that were asked by the immigration officer (IO) and not discuss anything extra. As far as I can tell, IOs also like when you stick to the point.

Q6. USCIS likes to see all kinds of pictures, be it just the two of you or others with you. However as the previous poster stated, the more people are in your picture, the more your relationship is 'validated' to the public. This is probably silly of me to add but please include wedding pictures - very important!!! If you have engagement pictures, include those as well.

Your interview file looks really solid. Are you both on a joint cell phone plan? If so you could add joint cell phone bill. I can't remember if you listed travel itineraries in your file for when you visited in each other's countries, that's an other awesome evidence... and hotel bills from those travels as well.

I think you're going to do great, your file is awesome as it is! Good luck!!!

We are on a joint cellphone plan but we are under my mother-in-laws contract which is us two, herself and her brother. The names don't show up unless she prints something off her account online (which she refuses to do) and we tried to switch our plan over to just us but there were like $300 in migration fees etc so we're kind of stuck on that.

AOS:

ROC

Actually I just found something that I can see online that shows all of our names listed on the account with the associated numbers but not last names. I might just screenshot that just in case.

Does anyone else have any input? I appreciate everything thus far! I'm going to the library to print and make copies of the rest of the stuff I have and I want to cover my bases.

AOS:

ROC

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

IMO, there is no need to fill out new I-864, but it you are going to take new one then put current annual income according her new salary.

You have lots of concrete proof, so IO may not look or want supporting documents. Just take them with you, they won't do any harm to you anyway.

Me and my wife wore formal clothes like one wears for job interview, but on our interview day I saw few couples in casual dressings. I would say about clothing and piercings just be yourself, it doesn't matter in the outcome of your application approval or denial.

Yes, you can take your MIL affidavit and your current relationship circumstances won't matter.

You can tell IO about address issue, and IO will sort it out or will inform you what you should do.

Take photos to interview, don't worry if family members are not in those pics.

I am sure you will do fine in interview. You have lots of evidences. Good luck.

February 28- AOS package sent. ( I-130, I-485, I-765)
March 5- Package delivered to USCIS Chicago.
March 11- Email and text notification with Receipt Numbers.
March 14- Hardcopy of NOA1 for all three applications.
March 21- Received biometrics appointment letter for 04/04/2014
April 2 - Completed Walk in Biometrics appointment successfully. (Original Appointment was for 4th April)
April 9- I-485 Case status has been updated to " Testing & Interview "
April 16- Text and email alert for case update for AOS interview on 22nd May 2014.
April 18- Hardcopy of Interview notice received in mail.
May 22- AOS interview, approved on the spot and got stamp in my passport.
May 27 - Approval notice of I-130 and I-485 in mail.
May 29- Received GC in mail.

ROC Timeline:

03/28/2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

03/29/2016: Package delivered.

03/31/2016: cheque cached.

04/02/2016: Received NOA1 in mail, dated 03/29/2016.

04/13/2016: Received Biometrics notice for the date of 04/25/2016.

04/21/2016: Early walk in Biometrics

09/28/2016: Text and email alert about approval of ROC

10/06/2016: Received 10-years green card in mail

Hey so this might be the first thread of many, but I was hoping someone could look at my list and answer a few questions I may have regarding my upcoming interview, at least all the questions that have come to my mind right now.

First off, here is what I have accumulated so far:

Accordion File (Originals):

Section 1: USCIS Correspondence:

· I-485 NOA1 (Copy)

· I-130 NOA1 (Copy)

· I-765 NOA1 (Copy)

· Biometrics Appointment Letter (Copy)

· EAD Approval Letter (Copy)

· Interview Appointment Letter

· I-130 Change of Address Notification

· I-864 Sponsor’s Change of Address Notification

· (2) Print Screen Confirmation for Change of Address

· (2) Print Screen Confirmation for Change of Address (Second Attempt)

· Confirmation Numbers for Change of Address

Section 2: Identification and Immigration Status:

· Both Passports (Copy of Biometric Page)

· Both Birth Certificates (Copy)

· Both Drivers’ Licenses (Copy)

· Both SSN cards (Copy)

· Beneficiary’s EAD card (Copy)

· Beneficiary’s I-94 (Web Version) (Copy)

· I-94 Passport Stamp (Copy)

· Marriage Certificate (Copy)

· Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate (Original Copy and Copy)

Section 3: Co-Mingling Evidence/Affidavits:

· Void Check for Petitioner and Beneficiary(Copy)

· (6) Most Recent Bank Statements for RBC Canada Joint Account

· (6) Most Recent Bank Statements for RBC US Joint Account

· Legal Letter from RBC US(Copy)

· Both Debit Cards (Copy)

· Passport Stamp from Petitioner’s Visit to Canada(Copy)

· Marriage Trip Receipts (Copy)

· Previous Rental Agreement (Copy)

· Current Rental Agreement

· Joint Cable Bill

· Previous Life Insurance Documents (Copy)

· Current Life Insurance Documents

· Emergency Contact Documents (Copy)

· Wedding Ring Receipts (Copy)

· Letters from Family/Friends Addressed to Petitioner and Beneficiary (Copy)

· (4) Affidavits from Family/Friends (Copy)

Section 4: Personal Correspondence

· Screenshots from Skype

· Screenshots from Facebook

· Mutual Letter/Notes

· Canada Post Documentation from Gift Sent to Canada

Section 5: Tax Information

· Petitioner’s Tax Transcripts for: 2013 (MFS), 2012 2011, 2010

· Petitioner’s Previous Employment Letter

· Petitioner’s Last (6) Paystubs from Previous Job

· Petitioner’s Current Employment Letter

· Petitioner’s Last 5 Paystubs from Current Job

· Co-Sponsor’s Tax Transcripts for: 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010

· Copy of Co-Sponsor’s Birth Certificate

Section 6: Application Forms & Misc

· New I-864 Affidavit of Support for Petitioner

· Copy of I-693 Record of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record

· Copy of Original Checks sent to USCIS

· Violation Ticket Exemption Letter

· 2 Extraneous Passport Photos

3-Ring Binder #1 (Copies):

· Includes All Documents in Accordion File

3-Ring Binder #2 (Photos):

· Pictures from Vancouver

· Pictures from Alabama

· Marriage Pictures in Maryland

*Ignore the colours and other things, that's just showing me when I have made copies of, what I still need to print off and make copies of etc*

Now, my questions are (in no particular order):

Hi Erica, what you have got there looks very good, with regards to Lily's new job she could ask her new boss if they could do a letter saying the hours & pay she should get per week & what her annual pay will be, so then if it's needed you have got it to hand. With what to go in I would say dress smart casual. With the change of address take along any prof of the new address ie: a tenancy agreement.

I wish you both good luck, not that you need it :)

Brian

AOS

Feb 3rd 2014 sent AOS pack I-130, I-485, 
Feb 17th 2014 Received NOA1 x 3 NOA1 date 5th Feb 2014
Feb 22nd 2014 Received biometrics appointment for 7th March 2014 at 3pm
Feb 27th 2014 Did early walk in for Biometrics successfully
March 17th 2014 Received text & email with interview date on 22nd April 2014

March 18th 2014 Received interview letter in post with time & place, 2.15pm at Mt Laurel NJ
April 16th 2014 Received EAD card
April 22nd 2014 Had AOS interview at Mt Laurel NJ APPROVED
April 22nd 2014 Text & email Case Status: Card / Document Production
April 26th 2014 Received my Green Card today
Total time from Application to Approval 11 Weeks & 1 Day
ROC
Feb 9th 2016 I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center
Feb 11th 2016 I-751 package received at VSC
Feb 17th 2016 Cheque for $590 cashed

Feb 19th 2016 Received I-797 NOA Dated 02/12/2016

March 8th 2016 Biometrics Appointment at 10am. (Done)

April 14th 2017  I-551 stamp in passport 

April 27th 2017 Received text & email Card/Document Production

May 3rd 2017 Received 10 year Green Card today   

N-400

March 7th 2017 N-400 sent to Dallas TX 

March 10th N-400 Application received

March 15th Cheque for $725 cashed

March 20th received NOA1 dated March 15th

March 24th received biometrics appointment for 04/05/17

March 28th did early walk in for biometrics 

October 10th received Citizenship Interview letter

November 13th Citizenship Interview at 10 am Mount Laurel NJ passed my interview.

November 13th Oath ceremony 3pm now a citizen

November 14th applied for my passport 

November 25th Received my passport 

November 27th Received my naturalization certificate back

November 28th Updated my social security records 

Timeline

Thank you for the response.

1. I wanted to go ahead and print out another I-864 just in case, but because she started the job after filing our 2013 taxes, I felt like the current annual income section wouldn't be accurate regardless?

2. My only concern was some of the letters are just playful and stupid with the occasional swear word (in a back and forth joking kind of way) so I didn't want to see unprofessional.

5. I only sent a second request because I read threads where people's lawyers advised them to go ahead and send another request. I guess I'll just have to wait and see? Did you eventually get all your confirmations and how long did it take?

6. I have OCD and being in pictures is one of my compulsions and therefore I try to avoid it as much as possible because of how stressed out and uncomfortable I get. I have about 30 pictures in total but they are most just my wife and I because I can only deal with it if I take or approve the picture. I also have like 4 from our ceremony at the courthouse because my mother-in-law deleted the other few we had off her camera in spite. I've heard of people bringing much fewer photos and not having a problem so I hope I'll be okay... I am not close with any of my family and right now we are close to my wife's either so family photos are kind of a bust.

2. Totally with you on the uncertainty as to how “unprofessional” you can appear in front of USCIS. We definitely dressed up for the interview because first impressions count, but we also brought our scrapbook which had a picture of me tugging at the udders of a cow statue and laughing, which was definitely very unprofessional but the IO interviewer seemed to think was funny. You can cherry pick the letters I guess, and only include the ones you’re comfortable with?

5. Totally understand why you sent in a 2nd request, I read so many stories of people online saying that their Interview Notice or Green Card got posted to the old address which drove me totally nuts!!! Please see below for the confirmations for the different AR-11’s and I-865 that we filed:

- I-865: request submitted 3/27/14, USCIS confirmation letter dated 3/31/14 (I don’t think you need to file the I-865 until the beneficiary gets the Green Card, but we wanted to play it safe)

- AR-11 for I-485: 1st request submitted 3/20/14, USCIS case tracker switched to “Initial Review” 3/26/14, USCIS confirmation letter dated 3/27/14. 2nd request submitted 3/27/14, USCIS confirmation letter dated 3/31/14.

- AR-11 for I-130: Request submitted 3/27/14, USCIS confirmation letter dated 3/31/14.

6. I’m sorry about your situation, having few photos shouldn’t be an issue (IO only touched our scrapbook after he had pulled out the approval letter for us so clearly the big stack of photos didn’t get us the approval), but if the IO ever starts looking concerned over the lack of pictures definitely explain your OCD situation. If it makes you feel better, the IO was surprised that we didn’t have any family member at our wedding, it was literally just us + courthouse judge + random courthouse witness. We explained the situation to him and he was ok enough with it to approve us…

Speaking of which, do you and/or your SO have any emails/letters talking about your relationship with any friends/family members? The only reason why the IO cared about seeing pictures of us together + family members/friends was because he wanted to be sure that our friends/families were aware of our relationship. So if you have anything that could show that your friends/family members are aware of the relationship, that could definitely be a good substitute for the pictures.

05-2014 I-130/I-485 approved on the spot, I-551 mailed to new address within 7 calendar days

2. Totally with you on the uncertainty as to how “unprofessional” you can appear in front of USCIS. We definitely dressed up for the interview because first impressions count, but we also brought our scrapbook which had a picture of me tugging at the udders of a cow statue and laughing, which was definitely very unprofessional but the IO interviewer seemed to think was funny. You can cherry pick the letters I guess, and only include the ones you’re comfortable with?

5. Totally understand why you sent in a 2nd request, I read so many stories of people online saying that their Interview Notice or Green Card got posted to the old address which drove me totally nuts!!! Please see below for the confirmations for the different AR-11’s and I-865 that we filed:

- I-865: request submitted 3/27/14, USCIS confirmation letter dated 3/31/14 (I don’t think you need to file the I-865 until the beneficiary gets the Green Card, but we wanted to play it safe)

- AR-11 for I-485: 1st request submitted 3/20/14, USCIS case tracker switched to “Initial Review” 3/26/14, USCIS confirmation letter dated 3/27/14. 2nd request submitted 3/27/14, USCIS confirmation letter dated 3/31/14.

- AR-11 for I-130: Request submitted 3/27/14, USCIS confirmation letter dated 3/31/14.

6. I’m sorry about your situation, having few photos shouldn’t be an issue (IO only touched our scrapbook after he had pulled out the approval letter for us so clearly the big stack of photos didn’t get us the approval), but if the IO ever starts looking concerned over the lack of pictures definitely explain your OCD situation. If it makes you feel better, the IO was surprised that we didn’t have any family member at our wedding, it was literally just us + courthouse judge + random courthouse witness. We explained the situation to him and he was ok enough with it to approve us…

Speaking of which, do you and/or your SO have any emails/letters talking about your relationship with any friends/family members? The only reason why the IO cared about seeing pictures of us together + family members/friends was because he wanted to be sure that our friends/families were aware of our relationship. So if you have anything that could show that your friends/family members are aware of the relationship, that could definitely be a good substitute for the pictures.

I do have letters, cards and affidavits from friends and the one member of my family that has met and spent time with my wife while she was in Canada, yes.

Can you explain a little bit more about your Change of Address Confirmations? Your case status changed to Initial Review, as in for your case processing or in regards to the changing of the address? I still haven't gotten anything, I am going to call the USCIS on Friday I think.

Hi Erica, what you have got there looks very good, with regards to Lily's new job she could ask her new boss if they could do a letter saying the hours & pay she should get per week & what her annual pay will be, so then if it's needed you have got it to hand. With what to go in I would say dress smart casual. With the change of address take along any prof of the new address ie: a tenancy agreement.

I wish you both good luck, not that you need it :)

Brian

Thank you Brian!

She got a new letter from her new employer today :)

AOS:

ROC

So should I not bother with a new I-864? Because if I was to put her current annual income from this new job it would be just an estimated/calculated number, not how much she will actually earn to the exact amount.

AOS:

ROC

Timeline

I do have letters, cards and affidavits from friends and the one member of my family that has met and spent time with my wife while she was in Canada, yes.

Can you explain a little bit more about your Change of Address Confirmations? Your case status changed to Initial Review, as in for your case processing or in regards to the changing of the address? I still haven't gotten anything, I am going to call the USCIS on Friday I think.

Thank you Brian!

She got a new letter from her new employer today :)

So for my I-130, I don’t think it ever turned up on the USCIS case tracker until the address change. So nothing to talk about there. As for the I-485, before I submitted the Change of Address Request my case tracker was in “Testing & Interview”, where it talks about my case being in line to be scheduled for an interview etc the usual boring T&I stuff. Then USCIS acknowledged my Change of Address request, and case status online changed to “Initial Review”, and read

“On March 26, 2014, your address was changed relating to the I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS that you filed. Please check our website at www.uscis.gov for further updates on your case. Please wait until the end of normal processing time before calling customer service at 1-800-375-5283 for live assistance.

During this step, USCIS initiates the background checks of the applicant/petitioner and identifies issues that may need to be addressed either during an interview or by asking the applicant/petitioner to submit additional information or documentation. USCIS reviews the applicant's/petitioner's criminal history, determines if there are national security concerns that need to be addressed, and reviews the application/petition for fraud indicators.”

The case status changed itself back to the usual boring T&I stuff on 3/27. And then on 4/2, I got my interview appointment letter at the LA Field office, so it looks like they didn’t bump me to the back of the line when I did my address change.

Weird. I didn't know it updated that way, but I still haven't gotten anything, and my interview is next Friday. Womp.

AOS:

ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.