angeldef

Affidavit Of Support Question

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I'm in the process of filing the affidavit of support for my wife... I don't have 3 years tax return nor 1 year i just started working in the US. But my mom is qualified.. however when i was looking at there transcript or tax return it is Jointly Filed. So my question is since its jointly filed do i need my dad to file i-864 as well or my mom would do and i just need to ask her yearly gross income?

Second question would be, since i don't have tax return i know i have to file the i-864 as well so what do put on my income (would it be zero?) and do i need to write an explanation on why is this and do i need to explain that i am making enough as well since i am from my current job exceed the poverty guideline for 2 household size.

Thanks in advance (its saturday and can't call NVC :( )

Okay so you've never worked before?

yes your mother can be a joint sponsor. If she files her taxes jointly with your father he should supplement her I-864 with an I-864a.

Your previous tax returns would not be zero, they would be "not required to file" and you have to include a letter of WHY you were not required to file (didn't make enough, unemployed, student.. etc... BTW no matter where you work in the world, you MUST file a US tax return if you make over the threshold to file.)

Your current income would be what you should this year. It's projected yearly income. So if you make an hourly wage use this: hourly wage x hours per week x 52 weeks = yearly income.

If you send the tax return transcript, do not send w2s.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Okay so you've never worked before?

yes your mother can be a joint sponsor. If she files her taxes jointly with your father he should supplement her I-864 with an I-864a.

Your previous tax returns would not be zero, they would be "not required to file" and you have to include a letter of WHY you were not required to file (didn't make enough, unemployed, student.. etc... BTW no matter where you work in the world, you MUST file a US tax return if you make over the threshold to file.)

Your current income would be what you should this year. It's projected yearly income. So if you make an hourly wage use this: hourly wage x hours per week x 52 weeks = yearly income.

If you send the tax return transcript, do not send w2s.

yes i have work before, but the first job in the US i had wasn't enough to file cuz i was there for only 3 months...

Well my current income is more than enough for the 2 household size required by the poverty guideline..

i am sendind transcript... would it hurt me to send the w2 of my mom aswell?

where would i see how much they made individually? on the 1440 or what not form that they have which i don't see it clearly seperated.. that's why i was thinking of the w2 cuz it showed there how much my mom made..

(ALSO) i make 3x-4x on my tips though.. so the calculation you made isn't gonna work for me..

no.

Whomever makes more money = I-864

Whomever makes less money = I-864A

There are two different forms there.

And if your parents are your joint sponsors then just send their tax return transcript, do not send W2's. If you want just your mother to be your joint sponsor then she signs a completed I-864 and sends her entire tax return (including all schedules and W2) vs the tax return transcript.

Do your parents claim you as a dependent?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

For your income, you'll have to calculate an average of what you make on tips per day or work week and multiply that by how many weeks you work in a year, same as you do for your regular income. You have to pay taxes on your tips so I hope you've kept count.

If you'd read the instructions for the I-864 it specifically says to either send the entire tax return or send the tax return transcripts, not both. W2s are part of a tax return. The tax return transcript will have all the information needed if your parents do the I-864 and I-864A. If just your mother does the I-864 it's easiest to send the entire return so that the consular officer knows how much only she makes, not the household makes.

Edited by NLR

For your income, you'll have to calculate an average of what you make on tips per day or work week and multiply that by how many weeks you work in a year, same as you do for your regular income. You have to pay taxes on your tips so I hope you've kept count.

If you'd read the instructions for the I-864 it specifically says to either send the entire tax return or send the tax return transcripts, not both. W2s are part of a tax return. The tax return transcript will have all the information needed if your parents do the I-864 and I-864A. If just your mother does the I-864 it's easiest to send the entire return so that the consular officer knows how much only she makes, not the household makes.

Thanks for the answer...

The thing is i dont want to bother my dad so i just want my mom.. as the joint support i don't want my dad to be signing anything...

for the 1440 copy that i have if that's what you are reffering to as the "entire return" its a join tax return I didn't see any separation on the pay specifying how much either or them made individually. but im guessing you aslo meant that w2 is part of that "complete return right"?...

I havent had an annual really do i need to put how much im gonna make in the forseen future..? well that i have to ask NVC tomorrow to clarrify but i apprecicate all the answers i have more clear sense of what i need to do and ask the NVC..

no.

Do your parents claim you as a dependent?

They did last year but not the the past 2 years of the 3 years tax return so 2011 or 2012 i wasn't. but the NVC say that i can just say that i wont' be there next year so the household size is not as big and will not include me..

Is there a problem with them claiming me last year?

They did last year but not the the past 2 years of the 3 years tax return so 2011 or 2012 i wasn't. but the NVC say that i can just say that i wont' be there next year so the household size is not as big and will not include me..

Is there a problem with them claiming me last year?

Yes they need to count you with their household count until they do their taxes for 2014.

So your mom's household count will be her, your father, you, the immigrant + any other dependents so at minimum = 4

Thanks for the answer...

The thing is i dont want to bother my dad so i just want my mom.. as the joint support i don't want my dad to be signing anything...

for the 1440 copy that i have if that's what you are reffering to as the "entire return" its a join tax return I didn't see any separation on the pay specifying how much either or them made individually. but im guessing you aslo meant that w2 is part of that "complete return right"?...

I havent had an annual really do i need to put how much im gonna make in the forseen future..? well that i have to ask NVC tomorrow to clarrify but i apprecicate all the answers i have more clear sense of what i need to do and ask the NVC..

current income is the amount of income you SHOULD make in a year. Not how much you've made thus far, but the predicted income for this year.

1040 is the tax return. You need to include her W2(s) and any schedules she also filed. The complete tax return with everything she would send if she sent a paper return.

Some people also try to send the tax return transcript and the W2's of the single spouse showing their portion of the income, but I cannot remember if that's been successful or not at the moment. (Brain fart.. sorry.)

Yes they need to count you with their household count until they do their taxes for 2014.

So your mom's household count will be her, your father, you, the immigrant + any other dependents so at minimum = 4

I see but NVC reps said as long as they make a letter/statement that some of the other dependent will not be there next year like my brother is in the military and i will be on my one then it will be fine and we shouldn't be counted...

But anyways i guess i will get my father to sign aswell so that i won't make any mistake.. im still confuse about the 1440 as mention doesn't really show how much individually made.. but the w2 will ...

Edited by angeldef

A tax return is not just the 1040. It's the entire thing which includes the w2 and schedules. But sending a W2 doesn't prove that a tax return was filed which is a requirement for being a sponsor.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

would it harm my husbands affidavit of support if he doesnt have any assets: ie savings/checcking, and real-estate holdings? should i declare my assets which are not here in th US but in my home country?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.