10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all,

I have been dating an American soldier from Fort Drum, NY for several months. I live in Canada north of Watertown, NY. We are only 30 minutes apart, however, he will be leaving the military soon (after 7 years and 3 tours), to go work and live in San Antonio, Texas, where his relatives are.

We would like to be married soon, as we would like to start our lives together in San Antonio.

Can anyone out there give us any information on what steps we should take? We have looked into the Fiance visa, it doesn't appear that that will be of any use to us, as we are not planning a big wedding.

Our main concern is to marry, as well as I would like to maintain my Canadian Citizenship, as my family is in Canada, however would like to be employable in the U.S.

Any help on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

(L) Ange

Hi!

Well congratulations on your plans to get married first off! I just wanted to share with you my experience. We went the fiance visa route despite us only having a very small and informal wedding. This appeared to be the only route open to us that was totally legal. What gives you the impression you need to have a big wedding to apply for a fiance visa? We didn't even have to provide proof that he had even given me an engagement ring or of our wedding plans. I was just asked when we planned to get married and gave an estimated date.

I hope this helps some.

K1 Visa (Consulate - London, UK)
October 28, 2013: I-129F sent
October 31, 2013: NOA1 (Texas)
November 20, 2013: NOA2
January 14, 2014: Packet 3 received
March 07, 2014: Packet 4 received
March 24, 2014: Interview - approved
May 06, 2014: POE Washington DC
May 22, 2014: Wedding

AOS
May 29, 2014: AOS Package sent

June 05, 2014: NOA for I-485 & I-765
July 09, 2014: Biometrics Appointment

August 12, 2014: EAD Approved

August 20, 2014: EAD Received

April 13, 2015: AOS Approved and GC in production (Interview Waived)

April 20, 2015: GC Received

ROC (Filing with Divorce Waiver)

April 14, 2016: ROC Package sent

April 18, 2016: NOA Received

June 14, 2016: Biometrics Appointment

March 31, 2017: ROC Approved (Interview Waived)

April 19, 2017: GC in production

April 21, 2017: GC mailed

April 26,2017: GC Received

Fiance visa isn't necessarily for a big wedding, its so you can stay together after marriage.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

ignore the part about not visiting, you' should be able to visit. Also ignore the part about the K3, they're rarely granted. Instead concentrate on the pros and cons of the CR1 and K1 and decide which is best for the two of you.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

It is same process as he would be civilian and since he will retire, he won't get pcs orders. It's different for military when requesting expedite because of deployment or pcs orders and than different rules when stationed overseas and how spouse maintain green card status. Here you can find all instructions how to fill out visa either K1 or if you marry than CR1. K1 are faster bout than you still have to apply for AOS. CR1 takes longer but you receive green card few weeks after arrivel.

It is same process as he would be civilian and since he will retire, he won't get pcs orders. It's different for military when requesting expedite because of deployment or pcs orders and than different rules when stationed overseas and how spouse maintain green card status. Here you can find all instructions how to fill out visa either K1 or if you marry than CR1. K1 are faster bout than you still have to apply for AOS. CR1 takes longer but you receive green card few weeks after arrivel.

Please note that hard copy green cards take 1-3 months normally to get after arrival, but the endorsed visa becomes a temporary green card valid for one year. So a CR1 has a green card immediately upon arrival.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...

Fiancé visa is a safe option but I'm cheeky and got married while on visa waiver, went home came and came back on a visa waiver. Filed Cr1 asap after that. Yes I did get hassled at the border but I had all the documents to proof my marriage and dependant iD. It is extremely risky and I can't say I would recommend it! If he is still in the military and you are married when you guys apply, use the military immigration lawyer because it will be a teeny bit quicker (they will also look through your paperwork and file it for you). Not to mention your medical exam will be free too.

Edited by funkymunky

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I married a man in the U.S. Navy (I'm Canadian) and we went the I-130/CR-1 route. This would mean you are applying for Conditional Residence (green card good for two years) as you would have been married less than two years at the time of application. 90 days before your GC would expire, you would apply for Removal of Conditions (ROC) which will grant you a 10 year green card. When they first receive your ROC packet, your GC status is extended for one year to allow for processing even though it should only take ~5 months depending on which service centre has your paperwork (which is determined by which state you live in).

It worked out well for us because it left me plenty of time to work and save up money, get paperwork together (medical records, immunization records, police checks, taxes, evidence of bonafide marriage, 9000 passport photos, etc) and also finish my BA.

You can check my signature for an idea of what the timeline looks like. My CR-1 process didn't have any serious delays, it's this ROC business that's killing me.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1 This is a good place to start, but definitely look up forms, filing fees, instructions, and required documents on USCIS' website as things may have changed since this got published.

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh my god, I had a huge edit to add to that and VJ just wrecked me when I tried to submit it.

Ugh. In short:

- The USA does not officially recognized dual citizenship, but Canada does

- If you become an American citizen (after getting a GC via K-1 or CR-1), you denounce all ties/sovereignty to your previous home

- Canada doesn't care, you're still a Canadian citizen

- You can carry passports for both countries (enter CAN with your CAN one, return to the US with American one, etc)

- If you go CR-1, you'll have your two year green card and SSN within a month of entering the US, so you can work right away pretty much

Here are some more good links:

CR-1 forum: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/110-ir-1-cr-1-spouse-visa-process-procedures/

ROC forum: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/86-removing-conditions-on-residency-general-discussion/

Lindsay's Journey, she's a Canadian poster here who is super smart and helpful!: http://journeythroughimmigration.blogspot.com/

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

• 2 months later...
Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a Canadian citizen and was in similar shoes early this year. I'm still not entirely familiar with all of the processes, however I can tell you we are currently awaiting for our I-130 to be approved. Our lawyer is telling us it can take anywhere from 3-6 months before we'll be reunited, but from what I've read on VJ it can be anywhere 6 months to over a year! In hindsight, we should have forked over the extra money and just gone for an Adjustment of Status, but we figured we'd done the long distance route for so long it'd be no problem - worst. logic. ever. We miss each other so much, and all of the money we've "saved" by going the "cheaper" route has actually cost us more on visiting/flights/hotels, etc.

If we could start all over again, we would have gone with the fiance route. They can be issued sooner and at least you can actually be together as husband and wife permanently after your wedding. You don't need to have a big fancy wedding with the CR1 you simply get married and will never have to part again!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

The biggest difference is, in any marriage related visa, you need to prove a MARRIAGE, and that's hard to do being married to someone in the military and living in a foreign country even tho you're 30 mins apart considering you want to leave with him for San Antonio . For k-1 you just have to prove that you have met within the past two years, so producing evidence wise , k-1 is easier.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.