Hotter Otter

The World Cup 2014 Thread

386 posts in this topic

Was that necessary?

Oh good lord, whatever. I don't hate the US team, I think Klinsman, the German coach did a great job with the team but yes, Belgium were a lot better on the day and no, Belgium are not one of the best European sides so the US got as far as it could this time around but they can't compete amongst the top teams. Nor can England at the moment, even though they have the best club football in the world, still and I am not bitter about England failing in the first round, they deserved to be knocked out, and good riddance to their sorry bottoms as well.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Belgium did play a kickass game. The US did well but could not compete with this Belgian team. It is looking really tough for Argentina now, isn't it?

Belgium had 38 shots, 27 on goal, the US had 14 shots, 9 on goal. Howard was like a duck at an old fashioned shooting gallery.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Good, the US is out. Deservedly and they go down to the Belgians, woot!

I know what I'll do. I'll sign up for this forum and, just for sh*ts and giggles, I'll have dissenting and unpopular opinions.

JUST BECAUSE.

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My guess is the money would be on Germany/Dutch final.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

In my very uninformed opinion I think that whoever wins Germany/Brazil will win the cup. What say ye, superfans?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I agree.

I have Germany to win, they would also have the advantage of another day.

However no team has really impressed me and it could come down to a couple of mistakes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I think that Germany has been impressive in their defense. If I was making an even bet, I would say Germany. I hope that Brazil wins as that will make my life more pleasant. Maybe I'll even get lucky tomorrow night. :devil: Argentina has won 3? games 1-0. They aren't scoring, but you can't them out either. The Netherlands are cheaters, so I hope they lose. But my wife doesn't like Argentina and hopes the Dutch beat them. The Colombian took Neymar out with a cheap shot which can do nothing but hurt Brazil. I think the South American style of soccer is dirtier than the European style, lots of hands in the face, pulling jerseys, pushing etc. The Europeans are more physical, but they use their bodies. There were 54 fouls in the Brazil/Columbia game, the first yellow came on the 42 foul. The referee lost control of the game early on by letting things go. And there was no card on the Neymar hit. IMO, and I am a n00b, I think the officiating has pretty much sucked in the games I have watched.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Timeline

Nah, Brazil vs Argentina, a rivalry only equaled by the Red Sox and Yankees.

Brazil and Argentina will have a go over the third place on Saturday. Truth be told, I don't really care whether we play Holland or Argentina on Sunday. We won finals against both in 1974 and 1990, respectively. If we make it tomorrow - and the odds are in our favor - 2014 is the year that Germany wins the 4th title.

schland.jpg

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Filed: Timeline

I think that Germany has been impressive in their defense. If I was making an even bet, I would say Germany. I hope that Brazil wins as that will make my life more pleasant. Maybe I'll even get lucky tomorrow night. :devil: Argentina has won 3? games 1-0. They aren't scoring, but you can't them out either. The Netherlands are cheaters, so I hope they lose. But my wife doesn't like Argentina and hopes the Dutch beat them. The Colombian took Neymar out with a cheap shot which can do nothing but hurt Brazil. I think the South American style of soccer is dirtier than the European style, lots of hands in the face, pulling jerseys, pushing etc. The Europeans are more physical, but they use their bodies. There were 54 fouls in the Brazil/Columbia game, the first yellow came on the 42 foul. The referee lost control of the game early on by letting things go. And there was no card on the Neymar hit. IMO, and I am a n00b, I think the officiating has pretty much sucked in the games I have watched.

I liked the Colombian performance this World Cup up until they got totally brutal during the last 10-15 minutes of the match against Brazil. That was dirty and uncalled for. W_T_F did they have to injure Neymar for so seriously? It's a real shame - a shame that will help Germany tomorrow but I'd rather see Neymar on the field. Silva deserved his second yellow card - pure stupidity on his part and he's justly off the field tomorrow.

But nothing in this match beat Lahm pulling a Sean Garnier on Algeria's Brahimi during the Germany - Algeria match.

Lahm:

d8dfdb72b2ab1eccab1249d52d852b6e_crop_ex

Garnier - see at 2:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJP2vQIUCJk

d8dfdb72b2ab1eccab1249d52d852b6e_crop_ex