RK_and_Inday

Q: Ticket name Passport (Maiden) Name or New Married Name for Return visit to Philippines from U.S?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

We updated my wife's passport at an outreach program thru the Chicago consulate. They did not take away or invalidate her old passport, and we were not asked about travel plans, nor did we have any at the time. The new passport was mailed to us. She still has both yet, although I believe the one in her maiden name has now expired. Which consulate required pick up or giving up the old passport? This might be good information to share, as it may affect some people's plans.

They never take your old passport away. They will only "cancel" your old one. The cancellation methods have been different throughout the years. They used to use a two hole puncher (sometimes all pages, sometimes half, sometimes only the covers). The last one, they cut a nice size triangle on the back cover.

Did your wife happen to have the new maroon (the one with an RFID chip supposedly)? Maybe they invalidate that without leaving any physical damage to the passport.

They never take your old passport away. They will only "cancel" your old one. The cancellation methods have been different throughout the years. They used to use a two hole puncher (sometimes all pages, sometimes half, sometimes only the covers). The last one, they cut a nice size triangle on the back cover.

Did your wife happen to have the new maroon (the one with an RFID chip supposedly)? Maybe they invalidate that without leaving any physical damage to the passport.

Both of them are maroon, but they're different also. Without having them in front of me, I couldn't explain the difference. The new one is supposed to be the RFID one, her old one supposedly did not have the RFID tag and was going to expire in less than a year, so she'd last renewed it 2008 I believe. The one before it was green if I remember correctly. We renewed her passport at an outreach program, they did not punch any holes or cut the cover or anything. I also saw nothing that would have been able to disable an RFID chip anywhere that the old passport was looked at. This was an outreach program, and they were only using folding tables, so it would have been tough to hide anything.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Figured out the difference in the two different types of maroon passports. The old ones we machine scannable, but had no RFID chip or biometrics. The new maroon passports has an RFID symbol on the cover, are remotely readable and contain biometrics data.

RFID symbol on new maroon Philippine passport cover.

rfid_passport_logo.jpg

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Both of them are maroon, but they're different also. Without having them in front of me, I couldn't explain the difference. The new one is supposed to be the RFID one, her old one supposedly did not have the RFID tag and was going to expire in less than a year, so she'd last renewed it 2008 I believe. The one before it was green if I remember correctly. We renewed her passport at an outreach program, they did not punch any holes or cut the cover or anything. I also saw nothing that would have been able to disable an RFID chip anywhere that the old passport was looked at. This was an outreach program, and they were only using folding tables, so it would have been tough to hide anything.

:yes: ... Whenever one renews a passport, a NEW passport number is given. The OLD passport number will be cancelled / removed / invalidated in the DFA system. It's easier now that they use RFID, they can simply scan the electronic passport and once accessed in the system, all the information therein can be deactivated in the database.

The physical alterations mentioned by Yannix are just old tricks by Philippines (DFA and Immigration) for them to easily see that a passport is no longer valid.

Edited by sweet cakes

heart.gif After all, we're all just walking home ...heart.gif

:energy: N-400 in progess ...

01/14/2013 Filed I-129f

07/31/2013 I-129f NOA2

11/04/2013 Visa Received

11/21/2013 POE: Honolulu .. Aloha!

01/27/2014 Wedding day! (L)

03/11/2014 Filed I-485, I-131 and I-765

05/31/2014 EAD/AP card received

06/27/2014 Green card received

05/12/2016 Filed I-751

05/25/2016 Check cashed

05/26/2016 NOA (Dated 05/16) Received

06/20/2016 Biometric Appointment

05/07/2017 10-year Green card received

N-400

07/02/2018 Filed N-400 online

07/24/2018 Biometric Appointment

Filed: Timeline

:yes: ... Whenever one renews a passport, a NEW passport number is given. The OLD passport number will be cancelled / removed / invalidated in the DFA system. It's easier now that they use RFID, they can simply scan the electronic passport and once accessed in the system, all the information therein can be deactivated in the database.

The physical alterations mentioned by Yannix are just old tricks by Philippines (DFA and Immigration) for them to easily see that a passport is no longer valid.

That makes some sense since all of mine that they physically invalidated are the old non-machine readable ones. I'm up for renewal in a few months, I'll find out what if they will physically invalidate my maroon one.

DFA: Old passports phased out by 2015

MANILA, Philippines - The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) announced on Friday that all non-machine readable passports will be phased out by November 24, 2015 and may no longer be extended beyond October 31, 2015.

In a statement, the DFA said that Filipinos holding machine readable passports, or those with green or maroon covers, meanwhile will no longer be allowed to apply for validity extension beyond October 31, 2014.

"They must instead apply for a new e-Passport (dark maroon) as soon as possible before the expiry of their current MRRP (green) or MRP (maroon) passports," the statement said.

"Those who fail to do so will likely encounter difficulty at immigration checks when traveling through any ports of entry around the world after October 2015," it added.

DFA said the new regulation follows International Civil Aviation Organization standards.

The agency also reminded holders that extending validity of passport extension can only be applied for medical emergencies requiring overseas Filipinos to travel back home, death in the family, those returning to their employers abroad and those in the Middle East who are returning home on final exit visas.

Homepage ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1

"In these instances, proof of urgency such as a copy of the death certificate, medical certificate, valid employment contracts processed by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration or any of the Philippine Overseas Labor Office, along with plane tickets with confirmed flight details should be presented," the DFA said.

http://www.philstar.com/pinoy-worldwide/2013/12/27/1272506/dfa-old-passports-phased-out-2015

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Her old was not an electronic passport, and it was not defaced in order to invalidate it, is all I was saying. Her new passport does have the electronic RFID chip, and biometrics.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

The answer is "match the green card" Inday needs to use her married name because she's legally married to R.K. and her green card needs to match to her plane ticket. Inday's green card is now her permit to enter the US. To play safe just bring Inday's married certificate.

I disagree.

Match the passport name when buying an airline ticket, and bring a marriage certificate that shows all names, showing it at any immigration control point where the officer gets confused.

Your answer is so fundamentally wrong - I pray to all of the Gods that you never, ever give it again in the future.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Are you forgetting the reentry permit to get back to the USA?

they are going to stay past 6 months? I musta missed that.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here is what I found at the US Custom and Border Protection website to give some clarification on this issue.

Lawful Permanent Residents of the U.S. must present a Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card", INS Form I-551), a Reentry Permit (if gone for more than 1 year), or a Returning Resident Visa (if gone for 2 years or more) to reenter the United States. U.S. LPRs do not need a passport to enter the United States as per (8 CFR 211.1(a)), however, they may need a passport to enter another country. Please contact the embassy of the foreign country you will be traveling to for their requirements. While CBP does not require the passport as noted above, the airlines may have their own requirements, please check with your airlines prior to travel. Also, travel documents for LPRs do not need to be valid for any certain amount of time. Your LPR card only needs to be valid on the day that you are entering the US.

(LPRs that are out of the U.S. for more than 180 days are subject to new immigrant inspection procedures as per 8 USC 1101).

So interpreting this, GREENCARD is the REENTRY Permit to the US but PASSPORT is your TRAVEL Document, thus AIRLINE TICKET MUST match the information on the PASSPORT. When you travel internationally, you only present your passport not the Greencard when leaving the country.

I didn't know about this when I travelled so I went through some issues. But in my case, I used my Maiden and Married last name in my airline ticket.

IMO, she still could travel in and out with either names (I did), but she may go through some hassles. Just make sure she carries her marriage with her all the time. Make copies of all the documents (greencard, passport, marriage certificate) ahead of time in case they need to keep one for whatever reason.

Edited by J_d_Petitioner

:idea:PERSONAL IR-5 GUIDE :idea:WIKI - NVC Process

IR-5 For Both Parents
2014-04-10 │ mailed Petition to Phoenix Lockbox via USPS
2014-04-14NOA1 Date
2014-05-09 │ Approved (19 Business Days)
2014-05-09 │ Case Sent to NVC
2014-06-20 │ Received Case # & IIN via Phonecall

2014-06-30 │ DS261 available

2014-07-01 │ AOS Bill recevied and pai

2014-07-07 │ AOS package delivered

2014-08-14 │ DS260 Bill and paid

2014-08-18 │ Civil Documents delivered

2014-08-26 │ AOS checklist received

2014-08-28 │ AOS checklist delivered

2014-10-15 │ CASE COMPLETE

2014-11-10 │ Forwarded to Embassy

2014-11-13 │ Received by Embassy

2014-11-18 │ Medical Exam-Sputum Required

2015-02-18 │ INTERVIEW - Passed (Issued)

2015-02-24 │ Visa in Hand

2015-02-27 │ POE - Dallas

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

All,

Sorry for delay in response--was attending to some major health issues in family which have happily been resloved. Most importantly, thank you for all the replies which is extremely appreciated. J_d_Petitioner, Hank, and everyone, yes we (RK and Inday) had looked at these official sites to which you've referred but struggled with 100% clearly understanding some of the wording. Wanted the experience of VJ members to help verify if we were reading correctly. Hank, your thoroughness, helpfulness--and humor is appreciated--regarding both reply to our query here and in other of your posts we have seen. Thank you, J_d_Petitioner for interpretation of wordings on official site which is apprecated and sharing your personal experience which is incredibly helpful. Thank you to all for the good advice, knowledge, information and helpfulness. Your responses are appreciated more than we can adequately convey.

--RK and Inday

K-1
May 4, 2006 - We first meet in Singapore
[March 2008 to October 2011] - RK visits Inday in Philippines; multiple visits
April 11, 2010 - RK proposes on Palawan Island; Inday says "Yes! Yes!"
Apr 4, 2011 - I-129F mailed
Apr 11, 2011 - petition received, NOA1, application routed to VSC
Aug 3, 2011 - NOA2! I-129F petition approved!! Yahoo!!!
Aug 10, 2011 - NVC forwards petition to Manila
Aug 17, 2011 - Petition arrives Manila
October 4, 2011 - Medical passed; thank you for answered prayer!
October 12, 2011 - K-1 Visa approved!! Thank you for more prayers anwswered!!
November 24, 2011 - POE! (Thanksgiving Day) Prayers answered!!!! Many Thanks!!!!
Feb 5, 2012 - Wedding Ceremony!

AOS
June 14, 2012 - AOS filed (EAD & AP concurrently filed also); sent via FedEx courier
June 19, 2012 - text notification indicating receipt AOS package
June 25, 2012 - hardcopy AOS, EAD, AP "NOA1"s (I-797C) received
June 29, 2012 - appointment letter for biometrics received (appointment: mid-July)
July 14, 2012 - Biometrics appointment: complete
July 18, 2012 - Case transferred to California Service Center notice received
August 27, 2012 - Combo EAD & AP card received

April 25, 2012 - Permanent Resident card (conditional) received; Yahoo!!! (no interview)

REMOVAL OF CONDITONS
March 28, 2015 - I-751 filed; sent via USPS priority mail, signature upon delivery requested

The name that matches the passport. Bring the marriage certificate to explain why the green card has a different name.

Bingo. We went back before we got her passport changed. We matched the passport as he said. went to Dc later and got it changed

The answer is "match the green card" Inday needs to use her married name because she's legally married to R.K. and her green card needs to match to her plane ticket. Inday's green card is now her permit to enter the US. To play safe just bring Inday's married certificate.

Buzzzzz wrong answer

I disagree.

Match the passport name when buying an airline ticket, and bring a marriage certificate that shows all names, showing it at any immigration control point where the officer gets confused.

Your answer is so fundamentally wrong - I pray to all of the Gods that you never, ever give it again in the future.

Darnell when I was getting my K-1, it was amazing how many people would chime in with wrong info. You learned quickly who to trust and who not to.

Word of advice from an Old Timer round here. If Hank tells you something, it's about 99.9999999% chance it's Korrect. A lot of experts come and go.. Sorry about the .00000001 Bro, everybody's human. I just don't keep up with it, like I use to.

Darnell is a pretty sharp cookie also.

As for the Report of Marriage. You can mail that into the consulate in DC and they will get it recorded in the PI

As for the name change on passport. We went to D.C last summer. They kept her old passport and sent it back to us, and yes it had a hole in it. Of course we did not have travel plans or request expedited. I am not saying others may not have experienced something different at an outreach, only reporting what we did .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree on both arguments. I would always match the passport name when purchasing a ticket. But, my wife is listed on my travel benefits with her married name which is the same name as the green card name. This name does not match her philippines passport name. She has to use her married name according to company policy as the name on her ticket. She has traveled back and forth 6 times like this and has had no issues. She always has to show her marriage license and green card as well.

I would just conclude it's a free for all.....

27 January 2012: Mailed I-129F

03 February 2012: NOA1( e-mail & Text)

03 February 2012: Check Cashed

NO RFE'S

22 June 2012 : NOA2 (e-mail & Text)

16 July 2012: Manila Case Number(by phone)

17 July 2012: Interview paid at BPI

19 July 2012: Set interview for Mid-Aug

23-24 July 2012: Medical St. Lukes(passed)

24 July 2012: CFO Seminar(had to go next morning for landline #)- PASSED

02 Aug 2012: Received e-mail from USEM our case is there.

15 Aug 2012: Interview at USEM - APPROVED

13 SEP 2012: POE Minneapolis, MN

27 OCT 2012: Married

19 NOV 2012: AOS package sent

05 DEC 2012: NOA's I-765, I-131, I-485

14 DEC 2012: Biometrics appointment finished(Walk-in..Was scheduled Jan 04 2013)

02 FEB 2013: I-131 and I-765 Approved

07 FEB 2013: USPS Picked up the combo-card

11 FEB 2013: Received Combo-card

21 FEB 2013: Transit Visa picked up in Chicago for Japan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.