Czechrebel

How to improve my WRITTEN English

7 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I am not sure if I even post to the right forum but here I am.

I've been here in USA for about eight years and loving it. My spoken English is great, I have no problem of understanding, speaking or reading the language. I have BA in International Relations and writing papers ( thanks to English lab proof readers) was never an issue.

Recently, however, my friend commented on my facebook posts contain "grammatical tense error" . She didn't mean it in a bad way, she wasn't being rude or snarky.... but it still bothers me...and I ahve to admitt that she is right. I always ask my husband to proof read my letters or emails.

So the question is, how can I improve my written skills so that I can be truly proficient in written English?

Have a great day.

EVA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

practice !

grab a newspaper -

then handwrite / copy out 3 columns each day.

why? usage improves many things - so if yer copying a usa writer's work - stuff will sink in. over time.

do this each day for 3 months - report back when able !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Hello everybody,

I've been here in USA for about eight years and loving it. My spoken English is great, I have no problem of understanding, speaking or reading the language. I have BA in International Relations and writing papers ( thanks to English lab proof readers) was never an issue.

Recently, however, my friend commented on my facebook posts contain "grammatical tense error" . She didn't mean it in a bad way, she wasn't being rude or snarky.... but it still bothers me...and I ahve to admitt that she is right. I always ask my husband to proof read my letters or emails.

So the question is, how can I improve my written skills so that I can be truly proficient in written English?

Have a great day.

EVA

Check out the following books:

- The New York Times Manual of Style and Usage

- Who's (oops whose) Grammar Book is this anyway

- The blue book of grammar and punctuation

Consider buying and reading all three. Good luck!

-

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Hello everybody,

Have a great day.

EVA

Though your friend was right according to you, but she doesn't have right to put comment on your post and corrected you. That's quite arrogant, in my opinion. If she wanted to correct your grammatical error, she would choose send you a private message and you can edit it afterwards.

English is not my mother tongue neither many of my Indonesian friends on Facebook who married to foreigners. None of us have tried being " language fashion police" and corrected whenever they did mistake. I have seen many posts on VJ contain grammatical errors either from petitioners or beneficiaries. Rarely I saw one of us tried to corrected it. Facebook is not an English class room. It is for friends to connect to each other. That's why it calls social networking website.

Regarding your question, I am trying to improve my English language through my husband - he is really good- watching videos, read news articles, and follow English classes online on BBC. Also, I have many books and audio CDs that help a lot to improve my English language. After all, no one is perfect, including your friend who corrected you.

Edited by Girl from Celebes

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

The best way to improve your written english is to read - a LOT... preferably well-written, well-edited books so that you're being exposed to generally 'correct' English. But if you can speak, understand and write in English, the odds are that your grammar is just fine for everyday and your 'friend' is nitpicking.

Facebook and forums in general are not usually places where 'correct' English is demanded, or even expected. People who are born and bred English speakers write absolute crud and nobody particularly cares... if you take your post here for an example, there are a couple of minor non-standard variations on grammar, (it's generally 'no problem WITH understanding' not 'of', and you mixed the tense a little - either 'commented that my posts contain' or 'commented on my posts containing') but it's nothing that we can't understand perfectly well. Practice makes perfect, and the computer's spell-checker can also verify grammar if you let it. Or else you can use your husband as proof-reader - just ask him to tell you WHY he's changing minor things, not just do it for you.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.