Sylea

NVC Thread for Canadians

1,121 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am so glad you made this post. I do follow the one made by Saylin, but it there are not that many Canadians and MANY pages to look thru.

27-09-2013: MARRIED :)

USCIS

23-10-2013: Filed I-130 (TSC)
17-05-2014: NOA2 I-130 Approved!

NVC
02-06-2014: Case arrived at NVC
20-06-2014: Case # and IIN assigned
07-07-2014: DS-261 submitted
08-07-2014: AOS fee invoiced
09-07-2014: AOS fee paid

09-07-2014: NVC said they rec'd DS-261
11-07-2014: AOS package emailed

05-08-2014: IV package emailed
03-09-2014: IV fee invoiced
03-09-2014: IV fee paid

04-09-2014: DS-260 completed

09-09-2014: Checklist Received (I-864ez form, income)
12-09-2014: checklist sent (LAST SCAN DATE)

06-11-2014: Case Complete

Last Leg of the Journey

17-11-2014: Medical (Dr Mascarenhas - Toronto)
18-12-2014: Interview (APPROVED :) )

23-12-2014: Visa Received

24-12-2014: POE (Ambassador Bridge, Detroit-about 35mins processing)

Timeline

Thanks Karebear - I was trying to figure out how we could 'pin' it so it's easier to find?

I've decided to wait till first week of July before I start calling NVC to get our case number. I'm also trying to stay very positive and hope that this next stage is not going to be as soul destroying as waiting for USCIS to approve our I130!!

Happy Friday the 13th and have a good weekend all!!

Timeline

Oh I bet. I'm thinking a lot about the adjustments I'll have to make once I'm there. Funny how a while ago quitting my job of over 28 years seemed like it would be awesome, but I'm starting to realize how much I'll miss my work and my colleagues. They have been my other family for a long time. Also the idea of 'losing' my independence. I've been a career working single mom for a long time, always supported myself and my son (and my ex husband for a while), so it'll be very strange to be relying on someone else for a time.

I was SO heartened to find out about the Employment Insurance option - that will be a very helpful bridge while I get settled and look for some kind of work......

What employment insurance option are you referring to?

Timeline

What employment insurance option are you referring to?

Sarah&Marc:

As I understand it, you are eligible for Canadian Unemployment Insurance if you quit your job to relocate.

There is a thread on here with lots of info.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/8-the-canuck-ei-thread/

If it hadn't been for VJ, I never would have known I could apply for this. Going to make the transition much easier for a while.

Peace. :goofy:

Timeline

Sarah&Marc:

As I understand it, you are eligible for Canadian Unemployment Insurance if you quit your job to relocate.

There is a thread on here with lots of info.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/8-the-canuck-ei-thread/

If it hadn't been for VJ, I never would have known I could apply for this. Going to make the transition much easier for a while.

Peace. :goofy:

Yes after reading your post i did some looking around and found that thread. This is great! I posted this question on that thread but maybe someone on this thread has an answer to it:

Ok, im the USC and i had no idea my husband could receive EI after he came to the US. Our situation is a little different though. My husband is currently on EI due to the closure of the company he was employeed with. We expect our interview to be in August. Will he be able to continue with his current EI case once he moves or will he have to close this one and open a different one?

Timeline

Sarah - I would suggest your husband contact EI to find out what to do. I believe in order to qualify to collect EI once stateside, he has to prove he has authorization to seek and accept work. If you are doing the CR1 Visa, I think you are authorized as soon as you cross the border into the USA, and have activated your spousal visa. One of the advantages of doing this visa is that although it takes longer, you don't have to file to adjust status or get employment authorization, it's immediate.

Other VJ'ers who've been through the process may wish to add their comments, as I'm still pretty much a noob. LOL

Good luck to you both.

Peace.

Timeline

I just thought to share with you I got my case COMPLETED last week Thursday June 5th (my husband called NVC yesterday). It took 5 weeks for me (EP) . Now I have to wait for interview!!

I've been out of town for my medical exam in Surrey and have fallen behind on the news! Congratulations!!!!! :goofy:

Hi Lakehouse - just to let you know Upack does not service my area but thanks for the info. Had a good chat to our lawyer this morning and she's got everything ready to file once we have our case number, save my police certificate, which I should get any day and will have to courier to her. She figures I'll be interviewing by August, so that's good news. Be nice to be there for my first wedding anniversary at least!

Namaste.

Good luck with other moving quotes/options. Fortunately Calgary has a Upack location.

NLR _ Hahaha, that made me laugh.

We have 2 acres of property so I expect I'll be busy building the garden - hubby's been waiting till I get there so we can do stuff like that together. He bought the house for us in 2012, and hasn't really done too much with it, again waiting till I'm there and we can make such decisions together. I can hardly wait.

I think I may do some volunteering as well, but we'll see how it goes. I fully intend to get work of some kind after a few months, but will use EI to help me bridge the gap during my 'adjustment' period.

If it wasn't for VJ, I never would have known I was even eligible. So much great info on this site!!

Peace all.

I'm looking forward to nearly the same scenario, and cannot wait!!

We also have a few acres to play with, and I'm very excited to landscape in a zone that's 2 warmer than what I currently deal with (F) Call me crazy, but the idea of having a rhododendron and a Japanese maple and hydrangeas right outside of my door makes me drool! :D

We may do some renovations with the house which will keep me busy and entertained, as my husband is also awaiting my input and ideas... after all, it will be OUR home :)

And I totally hope to start volunteering, not only to stay busy, but also to make my place in the community and get to know people/ make friends. Since I'm leaving my professional career of 24 years behind and hoping to tackle something with a little less responsibility, meeting people may be a way to get my foot in the door to some opportunity that's not just a job listing on the web ^_^

"If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you."

"Life is not what it's supposed to be. It's what it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Beneficiary - Applying for CR1/IR1 (but also played the K3 card prior to understanding it may be phased out.)

2013: July 20: I-130 sent (Chicago lockbox)

July 24: I-130 NOA1

July 24: I-129F sent (Dallas Lockbox)

Aug 2: I-129F NOA1

Aug 12: Alien Registration Number was changed, I-129F.

2014: Jan 28/29/30: - 3 transfer notices for I-130 and I-129F.

Feb 3 - Hard copy arrived -Notice of transfer to Texas stating Jan 29th.

Feb 10 - NOA2

Feb 27 - email stating I-130 being sent to NVC from TSC.

March 6 -NVC received our case.

April 7 - CASE NUMBER yay! IIN and BIN obtained and email given.

April 9 - DS261 available and filled in online.

April 9 - AOS not yet payable but visible.

April 10 - email regarding NVC case number and access to DS261 received/ email regarding AOS received and paid.

April 11 - AOS sent by snail mail.

April 14 - AOS arrived per mail tracking.

April 15 - IV bill received via email, IV bill paid/ in process, IV package sent.

April 18 - IV bill showing paid/ DS-260 available and done!

- AOS scanned into their system.

April 21 - IV package arrived per mail tracking.

April 24 - IV scanned into their system.

May 2 - False checklist for IV documents= AOS approval.

May 13 - NVC rep reported ? missing Police certificate via my phone call.

- Supervisor review initiated.

May 14 - Checklist for Police certificate came via email.

- Sent checklisted documentation priority post!

May 15 - Package delivered per mail tracking.

May 19 - Case COMPLETE!! Police certificate found by NVC:)

May 28 - Case complete email arrived.

May 30 - Assigned Interview date!

June 2 - Interview letter arrived via email.

June 11- Medical appointment Surrey, BC

July 8 - Interview in Montreal!! APPROVED!!!!!!!! July 10 - Visa package and passport in hand!! July 23 - POE!!

Timeline

Thank you to all who replied to my questions!

Im sure i will have more when I actually get the NOA2

USCIS

January 8th 2014 - NOA1

July 10th 2014 - NOA2

NVC

July 17th 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

July 30th 2014 - Case received by NVC

August 13th 2014 - Case number and IIN received by email

August 13th 2014 - DS-261 Form Completed

August 14th 2014 - AOS Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 17th 2014 - IV Fees Invoiced and Paid

September 19th 2014 - DS260 Completed

October 6th 2014 - AOS and IV Packages Received

November 28th 2014 - AOS and IV Checklist (4 items in total. 3 for documents they lost. Called on December 9 and a rep said no checklist for IV....go figure)

December 8th 2014 - Checklist scan date.

December 30th 2014 - Case Compl........NOT. So after not having an interview date yet, I called again on Jan 30th and apparently its in final review with a supervisor.

February 6th 2015 - Case Complete: Supervisor called from NVC to confirm everything has been completed now.

March 27 2015 - Interview Date

March 27 2015 - Approved!

Timeline

Some quick feed back for anyone who will attend their medical with Dr Cheema in Surrey;

Here's the contact information on this page http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Canada&cty=Montreal

I had an appointment booked in a week from contact! wow.

My appt was at 1000, and arriving at 930 didn't get me in any quicker, although they did take my $280 right at 1000 :dead:. In fact it was 1030 before I was called in. The nurse did a quick height and weight. Then into the room I went, and with a brief maybe 2 minute wait, the doc arrived. He was very professional and pleasant. He had me do an eye chart, both with and without glasses on :wacko: He also stated it didn't matter, when I fumbled and squinted like a blind woman to see the letters without my glasses on.

Into the room again, he asked me questions: do I take any meds, do I have any cancer, any sexually transmitted diseases, any surgical history, a few others I think but I forget now.. then asked if I ever had a DUI. (Now some of you gals might relate, but I was still in 'medical question line' and so I said 'do you mean an IUD?? Sure I have an IUD... :bonk: LOL. He says, no, a DUI... OH said I.. no DUI :blush: ) Here is where my case is just a bit unusual in that my occupation (working in an ICU) had perhaps exposed me to TB back in the 90's, and although I never had it, they prophylactically treated me with meds for 9 months to ensure I wouldn't get it. So I gave him my documentation and he filled out the relevant paperwork on that.

So up onto the table, and the nurse comes in saying it's required she be here for this part. He took a quick peer into my eyes, a quick auscultation of my heart and lungs. I was told to lay down and just undo my pant button and lift my shirt just above my belly button, and he had a quick palpation of my abdomen.

So when the exam was done, he wished me luck, and assured me the issue I had with ~TB exposure wouldn't be a problem. The front desk provided me with paperwork to head off to the next location 12 blocks north, for xray and bloodwork, and stated to return the next day after 430 to pick up 'part of the results', as the office would directly forward my TB related documentation to the Consulate themselves. :blink: (still makes me nervous :unsure: )

Anyways, off to the next stop, where I headed up to the 2nd floor for bloodwork, as that was the room number circled on my paperwork. I took a ticket, number 150, and they were on 135... so I asked her how long her estimate was and she said an hour. I waited the hour and a bit, the one vial was drawn quickly, and I asked about the xray. Well, duh! :bonk: That is downstairs on the main floor of the medical center! I should have thought to go downstairs and have the xray done while waiting for the lab appt!! Anyways, that wait was about an hour also.

I returned to Dr Cheema's office the next day around 5 and got the package with a disc and my vaccination information, signed that I picked it up, and she showed me the envelope that they're sending directly to the Consulate. They stated to keep my package with me at the POE. I asked whether I needed it at the interview, and she sounded as if it wasn't required, but I'm definitely taking it just in case!

My uncle drove me to the appts/ during all those stages and farted around with whatever he could to stay busy while waiting for me. I took him and my aunt out for supper the next evening to thank them for letting me stay and driving me around :D

"If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you."

"Life is not what it's supposed to be. It's what it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Beneficiary - Applying for CR1/IR1 (but also played the K3 card prior to understanding it may be phased out.)

Feb 10 - NOA2

April 10 - email regarding NVC case number and access to DS261 received/ email regarding AOS received and paid.

April 15 - IV bill received via email, IV bill paid/ in process, IV package sent.

July 8 - Interview in Montreal!! APPROVED!!!!!!!! July 10 - Visa package and passport in hand!! July 23 - POE!!

Timeline

Hello all Called NVC today and got Arthur what a rude and nasty man that is. Just a warning to those who call and hear that name.

Yes Ahh-thuh lol, and Joy, are both known to be incredibly rude. Some people on the regular NVC thread claim they've hung up and called to get someone else :rofl:

Feb 10 - NOA2

Yes Ahh-thuh lol, and Joy, are both known to be incredibly rude. Some people on the regular NVC thread claim they've hung up and called to get someone else :rofl:

Gosh Lakehouse, I don't know you but I love yah!!! You are too funny. The emoticon says it all. I'm not at the NVC stage yet, but hope I am soon. I'll keep those names in mind.

USCIS
30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

NVC
30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!

POE-??

Timeline

So I have a question for those of you who have submitted your aos.

Do I need to change the name on my passport now for this NVC stage or can I submit my copies in my maiden name?

USCIS

NVC

Last Leg of the Journey

Timeline

So I have a question for those of you who have submitted your aos.

Do I need to change the name on my passport now for this NVC stage or can I submit my copies in my maiden name?

I know this question has arisen many times on the regular NVC thread, so it may be beneficial to post it there or review some of the thread.

Feb 10 - NOA2

Timeline

I know this question has arisen many times on the regular NVC thread, so it may be beneficial to post it there or review some of the thread.

I have searched for it. Read different ones but they really don't give a straight answer and it's from all over the world. Basically what I got is that whatever name is on the passport is the name that will be on your green card.

USCIS

NVC

Last Leg of the Journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.