Sylea

NVC Thread for Canadians

1,121 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We got our appointment scheduled today for October 23!! How bout you???

That's fantastic news!! But....arrgghh!!

No I don't have mine yet. Going to start calling tonight, actually am re-dialing now. LOL

Sarah - did you get email or did you find out your date by calling NVC??

Timeline

That's fantastic news!! But....arrgghh!!

No I don't have mine yet. Going to start calling tonight, actually am re-dialing now. LOL

Sarah - did you get email or did you find out your date by calling NVC??

No ma'am I've called NVC everyday since Friday. We haven't even gotten our case complete email. I'm SURE your date will be assigned. Let me know when you find out!

Timeline

No ma'am I've called NVC everyday since Friday. We haven't even gotten our case complete email. I'm SURE your date will be assigned. Let me know when you find out!

On hold now......(after re-dialing about 20 times! LOL)

Timeline

Thanks for posting.

I talked to NVC just now. They said that only when someone looks at the email might I get a reply and even that may take 60 days just to receive an acknowledgement! I sent my AOS-I-864W by email on Sept 5 so I will see if I get a reply in the next 2-3 days.

One more question- did you scan your passport pictures in your IV package? Although Saylin's wiki says to do this, the NVC instructions don't mention anything about scanning passport photos for EP.

I also have an issue with my AOS fee- shows PAID on payment portal but N/A on the IV portal. The rep I spoke to said it is ok, and I am not convinced that she understood what I was asking. The payment was processed Sept 4.

Thanks!

Yes, I did scan my passport pictures in my IV package.

December 2010: Met through Facebook and began chatting

October 1, 2013: Married

USCIS

December 23rd, 2013: I-130 Package received at the Phoenix Lockbox

June 19th, 2014: Confirmation received - case shipped to NVC

NVC

July 1st, 2014: Case received at NVC

October 6th, 2014: Case Complete

November 25th, 2014: Interview at the Montreal Consulate - APPROVED!!!!

December 1st, 2014: Visa in hand

The Big Move

December 27th, 2014: Moved to Dallas, Tx

Removal of Conditions

November 7, 2016: Case received at CSC

November 9, 2016: Check cashed

December 18, 2017: InfoPass at Dallas Field Office - I-551 stamp in passport

April 11, 2018: Case was updated: Card being produced.

April 12, 2018: Case was updated: Approval (with approval date of 04/11/18).

Naturalization

October 1, 2020: Submitted N-400 Online application

Timeline

Woooooot!!

Oct 22, 930AM!!!!

I am SO freaking excited!!

:) :) :)

:dancing:

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

NLR

So not everyone receives an acknowledgement that the documents have been received via email? Can I assume that my email with my AOS/I-864 and scanned supporting documents was received by NVC?

Also- one more issue I am running into. On the payment portal my AOS fee shows as 'PAID' appropriately. However on the IV portal (where you can see the 'DS-261 complete', the AOS fee shows as N/A. Do you happen to know anything about this? The NVC rep I spoke with today, did not seem concerned/aware.

Thanks.

NLR, thanks.

Yes, I sent only I864W, with documentation they want- Social security statement.

To prove re-establising domicile ( I am the USC, living in Canada with Canadian citizen husband- in a separate email I sent my job offer, and email correspondence from school district.

I sent this re-establisihing domicile as a separate email because I did not want to confuse NVC, by sending this with the I-864W, since this is so different from the I-864/I-864EZ.

I hope I did the correct thing. I only did this Sept 5, so if you have any other suggestions i can send another email with the correct/proper documentation.

IR1 Visa for spouse, both of us lived in Canada

I-130: Nebraska Service Center- submitted Feb 3,2014, approved July 30, 2014.

NVC received: Aug 22 2014

Case number, IIN available: Sept 3 2014

DS-261 submitted: Sept 3 2014

AOS submitted via email: Sept 5, 2014 (received email receipt from NVS Sept 8)

AOS fee paid: Sept 4 2014

IV documents submitted via email: Sept 15 2014 (received email receipt from NVC Sept 18)

IV fee invoice received and IV fee paid: Oct 2 2014

DS-260 submitted: Oct 5 2014

Case complete Oct 31 (no checklist) Electronic processing; IV package emailed before IV invoice received

Interview scheduled Nov 13, 2014

Interview Dec 17, 2014- denied for proof of domicile- 221G

Jan 30 2015: proof of domicile sent

Feb 5; Feb 19- status updated on CEAC, still says Administrative processing.

March 13, 2015- US citizen spouse moved back to California, sent consulate confirmation that domicile now reestablished.

March 30, 2015 - email from consulate stating that they have adequate proof of domicile, still in AP.

Status updates (without enquiry from anyone): April 27, May 6, May 7, May 13

May 13- Ready

May 14 Issued.

POE May 15, 2015

ELIS fee paid May 30

Green card production ordered July 23

Green card received July 24

Timeline

Okay so now that I've recovered composure (sort of, LOL) I've got questions!!

Why do we need to line up at the consulate at 7AM if we have an actual appointment time booked?? Mine is scheduled for 930AM.

I'm guessing somewhere on VJ there is a link to an easy peasy list of order of documents to have with you??

Am I safe to book my flight back in the evening same day as interview??

Can I book my medical ahead so long as I have actual date?? (I'm expecting the email confirmation in the next day or so)

What a great early wedding anniversary present! Feels like there's actually light at the end of this ridiculously long tunnel now!!!

Peace all.

:goofy::dancing::luv:(F)(L)

Edited by Sylea

Timeline

Hello;

I, too, like the idea of there being a thread for Canadians to keep in touch and help one another out. My husband and I are trying to decide whether to apply for the K-3 or go for the Green : ) I'm thinking in some ways, that it might be easier to just go for the Green Card vs the K-3 as they are both, apparently, being processed at the same time.

I am from Regina, SK, and, my husband lives in California, which eventually, GOD willing, I will be moving there before too terribly long.

It's all a bit overwhelmi

ng, but I guess, "one step/one day at a time"

Can anyone share if they are from Canada and applied for the Green Card and how long the process took from beginning to end?

Thank you!

Timeline

Why do we need to line up at the consulate at 7AM if we have an actual appointment time booked?? Mine is scheduled for 930AM.

The interviews are first-come, first-serve. Arrive early, get out early!

Lots of info here: http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Canada&cty=Montreal

Am I safe to book my flight back in the evening same day as interview??

Can I book my medical ahead so long as I have actual date?? (I'm expecting the email confirmation in the next day or so)

==================

the later you arrive at the consulate the greater the delay for interview. i'd be in line for 7 am. first in, first out. read saylin' wiki....its remarkably clear.

yes, book a flight for that evening....you will be out of the consulate and back in your hotel room by noon. take the subway and bus to and from the airport. if your lucky and will only be in montreal 24 hours or less, a one day pass will suffice.

do medical in surrey if you can and book as soon as you receive email of interview date. you'll need this for your medical appt too.

good luck with both!!! :) these are the easiest parts of this entire process.

USCIS
30 Jan 2014 - Sent I-130
03 Feb 2014- NOA1

10 months of bologna, we cannot believe this, nor will you if you knew
02 Dec 2014- NOA2

NVC
30-Dec 2014 case received
10-Feb 2015 case and iin # assigned
10-Feb 2015 completed ds 261
11-Feb 2015 paid AOS fee
11-Feb 2015 welcome letter rec'd
15-Feb 2015 emailed AOS & IV package info
19-Feb 2015 paid IV fee
23-Feb 2015 submitted ds260
07-Apr 2015 CC :dancing:
26-May 2015. interview--approval

28-May 2015 noon visa in hand!!

POE-??

Timeline

Thanks all - I've read Saylin's wiki several times (and looked at her super diagrams of the consulate!), so I'm just trying to satisfy my curiosity.

Why should it be 'first come, first served' if you have an actual appointment time set?? Shouldn't I be able to arrive at say, 830 (one hour before) and still be seen at my appointed time??

I really am just curious, probably won't sleep the night before anyway, so I'm likely to get lined up at 730AM!!

Thanks Mrs THB - I'm flying from BC, will be by myself, so will arrive one day before interview to orient myself, having not been in Montreal for about 25 years. Flights back to BC leave any where from 4PM onwards, so I figured I shouldn't have any problem making a late afternoon/early evening flight day of the interview. Was just interested to hear other's opinions....

I'll be calling Dr Cheema's office today to try and book medical - getting my blood titre test done today, and my TDap and Shingles vaccinations done on Friday.

SO much to figure out - it's a huge move, so many little things to remember to sort out. I have lists lying all over my house!

Cheers all!

:goofy:

Edited by Sylea

Hello;

I, too, like the idea of there being a thread for Canadians to keep in touch and help one another out. My husband and I are trying to decide whether to apply for the K-3 or go for the Green : ) I'm thinking in some ways, that it might be easier to just go for the Green Card vs the K-3 as they are both, apparently, being processed at the same time.

I am from Regina, SK, and, my husband lives in California, which eventually, GOD willing, I will be moving there before too terribly long.

It's all a bit overwhelmi

ng, but I guess, "one step/one day at a time"

Can anyone share if they are from Canada and applied for the Green Card and how long the process took from beginning to end?

Thank you!

Hi & welcome :)

I'm in Ontario... we've just started the spousal application (CR1) by sending off the I-130... and we have a lot of waiting ahead of us. Optimally, if you really do your research & homework, and are prepared for each step, it appears start to end is taking 10-12 months for Canadians.

We decided to go this route so that once I get to the US I can start applying for work right away. From what I've been reading here, the US is not processing the K-3's as much (seems like they're trying to phase it out or something) so if you're already married, the IR1/CR1 would probably be your best bet.

There is A LOT of really great info within these forums which has helped a tonne!! For me, the info about being able to still visit my husband while going through the process was invaluable. I just drive across the border, but carry with me a folder of paperwork - copies of the petitions, the NOA1 we just got, and all the ties back to Canada showing that I am returning....

Best wishes!!

Met in the SCA - DRACO INVICTUS!  08-14-2014 Married in Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiler

USCIS.... DONE  in 150 day from NOA1 to NOA2 (TSC)

NVC... DONE  in 116 days from NOA2 to final CC

Final Steps... DONE in 350 days from NOA1 to POE
POE 08-11-2015 in Detroit, MI 

Removal of Conditions

07-11-2017 NOA1 date (rec'd on 14th)

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

WAC17283xxxxx....and we wait...400 days

07-13-2018 I-551 extension stamp (12 mths) obtained at USCIS office in Detroit

09-20-2018 Transferred to TSC

10-15-2018 Text notification "New Card Being Produced"   YAY!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.