ME/NA pictures

377 posts in this topic

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I was wondering what the flourescent pink stuff is. Anyone?

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

The one on the left is cauliflower (qarnabeet -- or as my husband calls it, zahrah) and the one on the right is beets (shamandar).

And yes, the color comes from the beets !

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

As natural as it might be, I think I'd be a tad shy when it comes to eating something that brightly colored!! It's colorful and pretty but not a "normal" food color to me. :)

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Timeline
As natural as it might be, I think I'd be a tad shy when it comes to eating something that brightly colored!! It's colorful and pretty but not a "normal" food color to me. :)

It'll also stain your tongue bright pink :P

My husband buys this stuff in a jar and I had to train him to put a plate under it -- the juice will run down the side of the jar and make a bright pink ring on the countertop or table or refrigerator shelf, and it's HELLish to scrub it off.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
The one on the left is cauliflower (qarnabeet -- or as my husband calls it, zahrah) and the one on the right is beets (shamandar).

(F)

-MK

You are right about the cauliflower and the beets used to color it, but the other pink pickle is called Lift, and it is made from turnips but they also used the beets to color it. :)

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Timeline

just wanted to add that the word "shamandar" means beets in arabic.

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Timeline

(F)

-MK

You are right about the cauliflower and the beets used to color it, but the other pink pickle is called Lift, and it is made from turnips but they also used the beets to color it. :)

JP I think you may be right. My husband always calls these things shamandar (beets,) but they could actually be pickled turnips in beet juice. I usually avoid them, but I will investigate next time he buys some. :P

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Timeline

(F)

-MK

JP I think you may be right. My husband always calls these things shamandar (beets,) but they could actually be pickled turnips in beet juice. I usually avoid them, but I will investigate next time he buys some. :P

They are one of my favorite foods, I eat them like candy. Actually I love anything pickled but these are my favorite. We make them at home by the boatload.

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Timeline

Wow I hate to see this thread fizzle out.

Armenian monks, Jerusalem

armenianmonksoldcityjer2ha.jpg

Woman carrying firewood

carryingfirewood8dj.jpg

Children on their way to school, Hebron (al Khalil)

checkingchildrenontheir9ru.jpg

Former Jewish settler, now Muslim, leading the prayer, Hebron (al Khalil)

formersettlernowmusliml6bu.jpg

Ethiopian Orthodox Christians, Jerusalem

ethiopianorthodoxprayin4at.jpg

Qur'an lesson, Hebron (al Khalil)

anlessonalkhalil9ll.jpg

Carrying his mother around a checkpoint, near Bethlehem

carryinghismotheraround4hx.jpg

Orthodox priest protesting The Wall

priestprotestingthewall4ka.jpg

Juice vendor, Hebron (al Khalil)

juicevendorhebron6wk.jpg

Flying a kite, Rafah camp

flyingakiterafahcamp2tl.jpg

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

thanks MK - so nice... :)

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Timeline

More lovely photos of Jordan....

Jordan River

jordanriver.jpg

New Chuch in the Jordan River area

Newchurchjordanriver.jpg

Mt. Nebo

mtnebo.jpg

Al-Salt

AlSalt.jpg

Waterfall in Jordan

waterfallJordan.jpg

More of Jordan....

Wadi Rum

WadiRum.jpg

Camels in Wadi Rum...so cute!

camelswadirum.jpg

The Dead Sea

deadseashore.jpg

Um Qais

umm_qais_view.jpg

Machaeras Ruins

machaerus_ruins.jpg

~jordanian_princess~

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

That picture of Um Qais is exactly how it looks when you are looking over into Israel/Palestine and seeing Lake Tiberias/Sea of Galilee. It's an awesome view!

The Jordan Valley is also very beautiful.

The picture of the Jordan River is is nice too. My husband and Mother in Law wanted to take me sight seeing so we went on a picnic and we went sight seeing through the Jordan Valley and they wanted me to see the Jordan River, but as you know in that part of Jordan it's what separates Jordan and Israel/Palestine. We couldn't get very close to the river because you have the Jordanian army all long that route. Anyways it was kind of weird to see the Jordanian army with guns and machine guns on top of their Jeeps blocking access to the Jordan River.

Nice Pictures JP

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.