16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow so the wirlwind of receiving the K1, activating it, and getting married is over!!!!

I did so much research to get THIS FAR, now I'm at a loss!!!

Okay so one clarification, more to come later :)

So I can apply for a SSN BEFORE applying for adjustment of status correct? (using for SS-5) and just check that I'm a Legal Alien but not allowed to work?

Thank you !!!

Heather

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

AOS Sent March 5/07

NoA Date March 23/07

BIO Appt April 12/07

Case Transfered to California April 12/07

AOS Touched April 12/07

AOS Touched April 14/07

Transfered notices in hand (Snail Mail style) April 20/07

Case "pending" in CSC May 16/07

AOS Touched May 17/07

AOS Touched May 18/07

AOS Touched June 5/07

AOS Touched June 6/07

Card Production Ordered 10:45 AM on June 19/07

Approval Notice Sent June 22/07

AOS Touched June 24/07

Mail Returned Undeliverable (saying mean words under my breathe) July 11th

Card Resent, Card had errors (long story...)

Card Sent Pack to them...

Has to go Back through FBI Name check

Card Production REORDERED Aug 22/07

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You need to apply for SSN with in 76 days of entry, after that SSA office will not issue you one until you have either EAD or Green Card.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=ssn

Also Print this page and take to SSA office point out section C about K-1 visa holder being able to get SSN.

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/36f3b2ee954...b4?OpenDocument

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Is it important to apply for the SSN before marriage?

no its not, as long as you wait at least 2 weeks ( so your SOs name will appear in the SAVE system, so they dont have to verify through USCIS) you will be fine.

As for us, we applied for ssn after marriage and my wife was mailed an SSN in her married name. So she doesnt have to go back and change her name.

Dont know if we were just lucky....

21FUNNY.gif

Timeline

Thanks everyone!!!!

AOS Sent March 5/07

NoA Date March 23/07

BIO Appt April 12/07

AOS Touched April 12/07

AOS Touched April 14/07

AOS Touched May 17/07

AOS Touched May 18/07

AOS Touched June 5/07

AOS Touched June 6/07

AOS Touched June 24/07

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Is it important to apply for the SSN before marriage?

no its not, as long as you wait at least 2 weeks ( so your SOs name will appear in the SAVE system, so they dont have to verify through USCIS) you will be fine.

As for us, we applied for ssn after marriage and my wife was mailed an SSN in her married name. So she doesnt have to go back and change her name.

Dont know if we were just lucky....

That's probably the best thing to do. I mean, you *can* apply before marriage (my husband did) but for those who are changing their names, to do it after the marriage makes it easier. Waiting at the SSN is NOT on my list of afternoon favourites. ;)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Ah thanks guys! So it doesn't matter if he's married or not to get the SSN. I thought I had heard that it could cause problems if you're married already?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Wow so the wirlwind of receiving the K1, activating it, and getting married is over!!!!

So I can apply for a SSN BEFORE applying for adjustment of status correct? (using for SS-5) and just check that I'm a Legal Alien but not allowed to work?

Thank you !!!

Heather

IF YOU CAME IN ON A K-1 AND YOU GET A SS CARD YOU ARE ALLOWED TO WORK, YOU CAN ALSO GET A DL WITH IT, BUT ONLY A TEMPORARY ONE, CAUSE IT WILL EXPIRE WHEN YOUR I-94 DOES, ANYWAY, DONT WAIT, BUT MAKE SURE AND DO IT LIKE TWO WEEKS AFTER YOU ARRIVE, BUT BEFORE YOU DO YOUR AOS.

Filed: Timeline

Heather

IF YOU CAME IN ON A K-1 AND YOU GET A SS CARD YOU ARE ALLOWED TO WORK, YOU CAN ALSO GET A DL WITH IT, BUT ONLY A TEMPORARY ONE, CAUSE IT WILL EXPIRE WHEN YOUR I-94 DOES, ANYWAY, DONT WAIT, BUT MAKE SURE AND DO IT LIKE TWO WEEKS AFTER YOU ARRIVE, BUT BEFORE YOU DO YOUR AOS.

No, you are not, without the EAD stamp.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you !!!

Heather

As for the DL, that will vary by state. Here in Georgia one needs to have either a GC or the EAD to obtain a license. I know this from experience....a long drawn out two frickin day experience. The OP would need to check with his or her state of residence to find out what is required. Having the SSN did NOT help my husband in that area.

Please PLEASE understand...IF you get the temporary work permit (which is only through JFK that I know of) you STILL have to obtain the EAD if you plan to keep on working after the I-94 expires. That's why you'll see many of us advise others to file the AOS and EAD (and AP if you want to leave the US and return before the GC) at the same time.

Edited by KarenCee

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

about driving....

if your spouse obtained an international driving permit from his/her country, then along with his/her foreign drivers license, they are allowed to drive in the United States for one year from the date of issuance of the International driving permit.

21FUNNY.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
about driving....

if your spouse obtained an international driving permit from his/her country, then along with his/her foreign drivers license, they are allowed to drive in the United States for one year from the date of issuance of the International driving permit.

Driving rules/regulations again vary from state to state so it is best to check what your state allows..

YMMV

Timeline

I know with Montana, It's VERY easy to get a Montana Driver Lisence. I have to go in and take my Valid K-1 to prove I'm in the state legally. My unexpired Canadian Drivers lisence. A Certified copy of my Marriage Lisence (to use my new name). AND prove of living here (my rental agreement). And they give me one.. no retaking the test or social or hastle! :)

AOS Sent March 5/07

NoA Date March 23/07

BIO Appt April 12/07

AOS Touched April 12/07

AOS Touched April 14/07

AOS Touched May 17/07

AOS Touched May 18/07

AOS Touched June 5/07

AOS Touched June 6/07

AOS Touched June 24/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Heather

No, you are not, without the EAD stamp.

WELL I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT MY NOW HUSBAND WAS ALLOWED TO WORK ONCE HE GOT HIS SS CARD...HENCE THE SS CARD SAID "AUTHORIZED TO WORK" OR SOMETHING OF THAT NATURE...PLUS, EVERYWHERE I READ UP ON IT....IT CLEARLY SAID THAT K-1 VISA HOLDERS DID NOT NEED AND EAD STAMP IN ORDER TO WORK IN THE U.S.....BUT OF COURSE YOU DO HAVE TO APPLY FOR AND EAD LATER ON. AND AS FAR AS THE DL GOES, THAT DOES VARY FROM STATE TO STATE, BUT HERE IN ARIZONA THATS THE PROCESS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.