Captain Ewok

Waves of immigrant minors present crisis for Obama, Congress

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Of course there's waves of minors coming. Not surprising at all. I'm sure it's a direct result of DACA.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

So the people who have been employing undocumented workers at below minimum wage for years will magically decide that they are going to pay minimum wage and won't just hire desperate people at under minimum wage and pay them under the table?

Yes.. It can be done if we chose to do it.. You make an incredibly steep fine..Like five years pay for someone. The fine is paid to the person who reported the hiring of the undocumented worker - even if it is the undocumented worker reporting it for his/her own job... So you know when you hire someone that if they are illegal they can make a simple call and you will be paying them five years pay.

You make it untenable to hire undocumented workers they will stopped being hired. You will never do it with increased border patrols or punishing the person traveling thousands of miles and risking all trying to feed a family. Go at the farmers and corporations and others profiting from paying them.

Edited by OnMyWayID

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Yes.. It can be done if we chose to do it.. You make an incredibly steep fine..Like five years pay for someone. The fine is paid to the person who reported the hiring of the undocumented worker - even if it is the undocumented worker reporting it for his/her own job... So you know when you hire someone that if they are illegal they can make a simple call and you will be paying them five years pay.

You make it untenable to hire undocumented workers they will stopped being hired. You will never do it with increased border patrols or punishing the person traveling thousands of miles and risking all trying to feed a family. Go at the farmers and corporations and others profiting from paying them.

Fine the employers and enforce the policy, enough that employing illegal immigrants carries the likelihood of an onerous liability.

The employers will therefore need to turn to legally employable citizens and legal immigrants. To do so will entrain paying wages sufficient to attract sufficient labour to meet the requirements of the vacant positions.

What is needed is the will in Washington to enforce such a policy, rather than pander to the illegal alien community, the cheapskate business interests, or both.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline

What is needed is the will in Washington to enforce such a policy, rather than pander to the illegal alien community, the cheapskate business interests, or both.

Above is exactly while neither side will do anything about it. The left wants the votes, and the right wants the cheap labor.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Fine the employers and enforce the policy, enough that employing illegal immigrants carries the likelihood of an onerous liability.

The employers will therefore need to turn to legally employable citizens and legal immigrants. To do so will entrain paying wages sufficient to attract sufficient labour to meet the requirements of the vacant positions.

Exactly.. This should be part of the immigration bill. It is a lot easier swallowing 12 million illegals becoming residents if we actually have a solution going forward.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That's... not actually my point.

These are employers who have literally built their fortunes on paying slave wages. Wages far below minimum wage. I'm having trouble seeing what their motivation would be to start paying proper wages and not just hire people on contracts that end up paying them well below minimum wage, or hire USC under the table below minimum wage.

Met in 2010 on a forum for a mutual interest. Became friends.
2011: Realized we needed to evaluate our status as friends when we realized we were talking about raising children together.

2011/2012: Decided we were a couple sometime in, but no possibility of being together due to being same sex couple.

June 26, 2013: DOMA overturned. American married couples ALL have the same federal rights at last! We can be a family!

June-September, 2013: Discussion about being together begins.

November 13, 2013: Meet in person to see if this could work. It's perfect. We plan to elope to Boston, MA.

March 13, 2014 Married!

May 9, 2014: Petition mailed to USCIS

May 12, 2014: NOA1.
October 27, 2014: NOA2. (5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day after NOA1)
October 31, 2014: USCIS ships file to NVC (five days after NOA2) Happy Halloween for us!

November 18, 2014: NVC receives our case (22 days after NOA2)

December 17, 2014: NVC generates case number (50 days after NOA2)

December 19, 2014: Receive AOS bill, DS-261. Submit DS-261 (52 days after NOA2)

December 20, 2014: Pay AOS Fee

January 7, 2015: Receive, pay IV Fee

January 10, 2015: Complete DS-260

January 11, 2015: Send AOS package and Civil Documents
March 23, 2015: Case Complete at NVC. (70 days from when they received docs to CC)

May 6, 2015: Interview at Montréal APPROVED!

May 11, 2015: Visa in hand! One year less one day from NOA1.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Of course there's waves of minors coming. Not surprising at all. I'm sure it's a direct result of DACA.

Likely.

I'm having trouble seeing what their motivation would be to start paying proper wages and not just hire people on contracts that end up paying them well below minimum wage, or hire USC under the table below minimum wage.

Because legal residents with all the costs associated with such won't take that low pay?

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

(response to removed poll also removed - VJ Moderation)

Fix the problem to solve the problem.

1) (increase) DEA running the border on watch for Drug shipments..(& reverse that National Park decision)

2) Returning Vets on the border to serve as Prevent and Ship Back - crews,

3) Criminalize the employment of Illegals.

4) Corporate America shift a bunch manufacturing from China to Mexico. (if) We can't add the jobs domestic...then grow jobs there & maybe some of the Millions we are housing will go back home. & China is obviously a PIA in need of some curbing.

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove response to removed poll

Timeline

I see the border as the problem. Remove the border and recognize the facts on the ground that tell you the U.S. and Mexico ceased being separate countries a very long time ago.

That would be awesome. California would be bankrupt in a week.

Timeline

Because they would all flood north and Mexico proper would become empty?

That is silly, I hope you know that.

Not all of them. But it would no doubt be a massive migration. What would be silly, well catastrophic actually, is dropping the average wage and GDP for California by at least 50%.

Filed: Timeline

Not all of them. But it would no doubt be a massive migration. What would be silly, well catastrophic actually, is dropping the average wage and GDP for California by at least 50%.

All you Mexiphobes have is fear.

Look at how much money the cartels are swimming in. All that money could belong to American businessmen instead, without that border.

Timeline

All you Mexiphobes have is fear.

Look at how much money the cartels are swimming in. All that money could belong to American businessmen instead, without that border.

I love Mexicans. I eat at Taco Bell at least twice a week.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.