jon.herron1

Filing K1 Visa for Fiancee, but not our kids?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I just returned to the United States after living in Peru since August 2009. I met and lived with my fiancee since 2010. We now have 2 children born in Peru and neither of them have their "report of citizen born abroad certificates" nor do they have US passports.

I appreciate any advice on the following plan:

I just got back and start work this week (May 2014). I haven't filed my taxes since 2010 (self-employed). I understand that I have to file no matter what and work a payment plan with the IRS? My self-employment is under the poverty level and no matter what I'll owe back taxes; meaning I won't qualify to support my family. Will my current job be enough for the Affidavit of Support if I'll only have a few months working when I file the petition? I make $50,000 a year, which is enough; however they ask for my tax returns which will correspond to my self-employment at least until next year. If not, I have a sponsor that could do so.

Next concern is regarding my children. We plan to apply for my fiancee's visa and once approved she will have 6 months from issuance to travel to the US. I plan to fly back to Lima to proceed to report my sons' births and get their US passports, which should take a few weeks at most. We would then return together to the US. I'm a US-born citizen, she would enter on her K1 Visa, and my two sons would enter on their newly issued US passports. Is this feasible? Anyone have experience doing the same?

Should I use an online visa company to help with the paperwork? I'm 25, just getting back to work and really would like to save as much money as possible to start our new life here in Ohio with my two sons and soon-to-be wife.

Hello fellow Ohioan,

If you are going to get US Passports for your children, you should make sure that you are able to without issues. I got this from the Dept of State Website:

"Parents of a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen or citizens should apply for a CRBA and/or a U.S. passport for the child as soon as possible. Failure to promptly document a child who meets the statutory requirements for acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth may cause problems for the parents and the child when attempting to establish the child’s U.S. citizenship and eligibility for the rights and benefits of U.S. citizenship, including entry into the United States."

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/abroad/events-and-records/birth.html

If you encounter issues,

You should get this situation taken care of ASAP because IF, for some odd reason, they are not able to get their passports, then you will need to include them on your initial I-129F form when you petition for your beneficiary, so that they will be eligible to receive K-2 Visas. So, my suggestion is to get their passports first, then look at filing the I-129F. You said it should only take a few weeks, right? If this holds true, then it should be a few weeks. If they are not able to get the passports they need, then it would have been wise to wait until that issue is resolved before filing for the K-1, as you can add your children on the I-129F form to get K2 visas.

Honestly, I think they will get their passports, but issues could arise where it would take longer than you anticipated to get them ... likely months ...

Jan 25, 2014: I-129F Sent

Feb 13, 2014: NOA1

Apr 15,2014: NOA2 Notice Via USCIS Web Site

Apr 22, 2014: NOA2 Received In Postal Mail

Apr 28: 2014: NVC Received

Apr 30: 2014: NVC Left

May 09, 2014: Embassy Received

Jul 08, 2014: Interview - Approved - CEAC Status Ready

Jul 14 2014: CEAC updated but still READY Status

Jul 16 2014: CEAC Status changed to Administrative Processing

Jul 22 2014: CEAC Status changed to Issued

Jul 28 2014: VISA received

Aug 06 2014: U.S. Arrival (Ft. Lauderdale POE)

Children (3 kids)

Apr 28 2015: Filed I130 petition for each child

Aug 21 2015: Notice from USCIS that all 3 petitions transferred to California Service Center

Sep 17 2015: Approval for all 3 petitions

Nov 12 2015: Paid one AOS fee for all 3 children

Nov 13 2015: Paid separate IV fees for all 3 children

Dec 04 2015: Filed Affidavit of Support (I864) for each child

Jan 12 2016: Received RFE for missing birth certificate from one of the kids packet

Jan 13 2016: Sent in RFE evidence ( birth certificate copy .... again O_o )

Jan 19 2016: Received notice that they received the RFE evidence

Feb 22 2016: Called and found out another RFE was being sent out about birth certificate

Feb 24 2016: Sent in (inextensa versions, not de acta versions) of birth certificates for all children

Mar 02 2016: Received notice that they received the RFE evidence

Mar 11 2016: NVC Process finished, now awaiting interview time slot to be scheduled

Mar 29 2016: Called NVC and found out today they scheduled interview

Apr 01 2016: Received Packet 4 notice via e-mail with interview date

Apr 25 2016: Children received P4 letters in the mail

May 19 2016: Interview

Jun 03 2016: Received Visas

Jul 06 2016: Travel to US

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Thanks for the info. I spoke to at least 5 or more Americans that got through the reporting US citizen birth process after a few years and with no issues. I imagine it's encouraged to do so sooner than later to avoid losing documents or the parents separating and the father not reporting the birth. The kids have until legal age of 18 for me to report their births.

I guess you never think it's going to happen to you until it does; so I understand how my situation could be the 1 out of 1000 that gets delayed. The only problems in reporting their citizenship would be if I were unable to prove my citizenship and my "residency" of more than 5 years in the US after age 14. I can more than easily prove all this. But once again, the income and tax issue comes into play.

I'm not too versed in the financial aspect, but I have read on here that if you do not have tax returns, that you can provide a W-2 and months worth of pay stubs, but in your case, if the process completes before you get a W-2 from your employer, then the only thing you can go on is pay stubs and a letter from your employer. I would consider getitng a co-sponsor.

Children (3 kids)

Aug 21 2015: Notice from USCIS that all 3 petitions transferred to California Service Center

Jan 12 2016: Received RFE for missing birth certificate from one of the kids packet

Feb 22 2016: Called and found out another RFE was being sent out about birth certificate

Feb 24 2016: Sent in (inextensa versions, not de acta versions) of birth certificates for all children

Mar 11 2016: NVC Process finished, now awaiting interview time slot to be scheduled

Alternatively, if you are able to provide proof of support with your W-2 and pay stubs, then it is possible to time your filing so that you will get a copy of your W-2 (Jan? Feb? 2015) before the interview, but this would require you to wait a few more months before filing (or you can get assigned to the ever-so-slow Texas Service Center which will extend your processing time by a few mor months).

this way. you will not need a co-sponsor.

Edited by phd1974

Children (3 kids)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.