ajames79

Fav. all time food and drink in the UK

161 posts in this topic

humm gonna think on it..But I didn't want Lisa to get lonely making all these threads!! ;)

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
humm gonna think on it..But I didn't want Lisa to get lonely making all these threads!! ;)

Well, in a truly British manner it HAS to be Fish & Chips, simply because they are VERY scarce here in the USA. I also miss a good curry though. Can't beat it: vegetable or prawn dhansak, pilau rice and a peshwari naan. Also a BIG fan of butter chicken. *drools*

We should have a drooly emoticon! :thumbs:

Drink wise? I rarely drink alcohol, when I do it tends to be wine which I can get over here. Otherwise it is soft drinks which are plentiful over here too!

Edited by mags

Well, in a truly British manner it HAS to be Fish & Chips, simply because they are VERY scarce here in the USA. I also miss a good curry though. Can't beat it: vegetable or prawn dhansak, pilau rice and a peshwari naan. Also a BIG fan of butter chicken. *drools*

We should have a drooly emoticon! :thumbs:

Drink wise? I rarely drink alcohol, when I do it tends to be wine which I can get over here. Otherwise it is soft drinks which are plentiful over here!

mags....I have re-created fish and chips..it is pretty darn close. We even had a big fish and chips night last time Chris was here! To be honest...as many times as I've gone over to England in the past 3 years I've not had a curry..Had a thai curry but and plenty of naan bread. But no indian. Not since I was 13. I will....in Feb. I promise

I love a good pint at the pub. I don't miss any drinks really. I like my drinks super cold, Chris family always keeps my Lemonade in the fridge for me...not typical for them!

Edited by ajames79

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I miss Fish and Chips, too. I think Mark and I's first meal together was Fish and Chips down in Brighton. :D

Hee, I work in an office with another Brit and an American who spent their teens in Australia. So we talk about British foods a lot.

I think Fish and Chips will be the first thing I eat when I go back to the UK and I'll also have to get a good curry at some point, too. :)

Filed: Timeline

chips with mushy peas :) lol well it's up there, but I really gotta think more about it...

I LOVE curry and chips from the chinese...or cheesy chips with garlic.....and I LOVE me a great Indian meal. And don't laugh but my fave all time drunken food is beans on toast with cheese...

and I love fried parsnips...and a Sunday dinner! HATED the full English...don't get me started!

Fave drinkie that I miss is that a Smir Ice here is a malt bevvy and there it's with Vodka. Love me a turbo shandy!

omG I am so effing hungry

and cornish pasties! I forgot pasties...

Edited by LisaD

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Can someone explain to me why curry is such a big thing in England? I haven't been there yet but I've heard alot about how everyone loves curry. I don't understand the connection.

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Can someone explain to me why curry is such a big thing in England? I haven't been there yet but I've heard alot about how everyone loves curry. I don't understand the connection.

Erm, at a guess I would say it's quite pop over there based on the fact that there's a big Indian community there. Kinda like being able to get really great Cuban food in Miami, yanno?

That's my speculative guess :)

and I was remiss in not saying a big YAY! for such a great thread...cheers Ajames!

Am I limited to just one? :lol:

ANYthing chocolate, preferably Galaxy. Fish and chips, Yorkshire pudding are both particularly tasty. Wish we had something like Ribena here too.

Their damn loaf bread is even better than ours. I about gorged myself on toast. :lol: Oooh and the bacon - its not that streaky ####### like we get here - its 'back' bacon. Yum yum!

BTW currys gross me out. I don't like 'weird' foods anyway (Chinese, Japanese, Thai, all that ####### grosses me out. I'm surprised I like Mexican and Italian!) but curry is particularly gross. Oddly, that's the one thing Chas thinks he's really going to miss when he moves here. :lol:

SA4userbar.jpg

Fish and Chips with mayo (dip your chips in mayo) hmmm chocolate has to be Cadbury's Flake, and the best chinese is in Farnham OMG they do a wicked chicken curry with chicken fried rice, I drive 5 miles just to get it, btw there is a chinese round the corner from me but yuck noooooo way.

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

I like yorkies...."Don't Feed The Birds"! Haa

I am so shocked they are allowed to have that slogan still....with the PC that goes on in England!!

OHHH and the bread...yum...and cheese. RedLeicester YUmmo.

Can't do the mushy peas....and I am not a big Bacon fan. It is really to salty for me.

mmm...food. Thinking of more

Is there something that you take over to England to cook that your inlaws/family like you to do??

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.