The Nature Boy

Roll Call of Fallen Commrades

2,825 posts in this topic

That was a strange experiment. I do see the logic of integrated schools and trying to diversify populations, but not like that.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Not surprising this thread has deteriorated into an argument about what is PC and what isn't. Just like a lot of others here. Don't agree with someone's position or opinion, cherry pick a few words of the post, and argue about whether they're racist bigoted, or whatever while ignoring the other 95% of the post. Kinda reflects the political divide in this country.

Everyone's a victim and everyone's offended. This country is turning into a bunch of whiners, and this thread has become a pretty good representation of that sad fact.

:thumbs: And it's the usual suspects.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

That was a strange experiment. I do see the logic of integrated schools and trying to diversify populations, but not like that.

The odd thing was they did it right in the middle of the school year. Prior to Christmas break I was walking to school daily with all my friends. After Christmas break I was riding a bus everyday going to a new school 5 miles away. All in the name of racial harmony.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Really? Isn't affirmative action all about preferring one race over another? Seems the NAACP is fine with that:

http://www.naacp.org/press/entry/naacp-statement-on-supreme-court-decision-to-uphold-michigan-ban-on-affirma

No, it's not and no that is not what they are saying. It's not easy to combat instututionalised racism. Affirmative action was designed to allow people with equal or better ablities the chance to get into institutions that traditionally wouldn't accept applications based on race. This is a fact, not a guess. How well it works? Probably not as well as it is intended to, things rarely do, but it's not a question of blacks wanting preferential treatment, but to be given a chance to participate.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

I really do believe it should be easy to avoid debasing an entire group of people, and also to not personally attack people on this board. No need to rewrite the TOS or make a long list of crazy rules.

But, I do tire of what has been called the "PC debate." It should be called the polite debate.

Back to the jokes!

It should be easy to do. But look at what has been allowed. Where are the limits?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

The odd thing was they did it right in the middle of the school year. Prior to Christmas break I was walking to school daily with all my friends. After Christmas break I was riding a bus everyday going to a new school 5 miles away. All in the name of racial harmony.

Clearly it didn't work and obviously you were a victim of a social experiment that didn't work, for all sort of diverse reasons, plucking people up and busing them away with no thought for the consequences was wrong.

Timeline

No, it's not and no that is not what they are saying. It's not easy to combat instututionalised racism. Affirmative action was designed to allow people with equal or better ablities the chance to get into institutions that traditionally wouldn't accept applications based on race. This is a fact, not a guess. How well it works? Probably not as well as it is intended to, things rarely do, but it's not a question of blacks wanting preferential treatment, but to be given a chance to participate.

But doesn't something like that actually create more division and resentment? What about the white guy that didn't get a job or get into a university because he wasn't black? I'd guess racial harmony is not going to be one of his priorities in life.

But doesn't something like that actually create more division and resentment? What about the white guy that didn't get a job or get into a university because he wasn't black? I'd guess racial harmony is not going to be one of his priorities in life.

It's not a ####### for tat situation. These people are not getting positions 'instead' of the white guy, they are getting considered when previously they wouldn't be. They have to have the qualifications, sometimes even better qualifications. If a white person thinks they have been prevented from going to uni because they weren't black well, they were always going to have a bit of a hang up I guess.

Timeline

Clearly it didn't work and obviously you were a victim of a social experiment that didn't work, for all sort of diverse reasons, plucking people up and busing them away with no thought for the consequences was wrong.

Actually it wasn't all that traumatic. Like I said, we moved out to the suburbs the next year and there wasn't a black kid in the school. So in reality it had the opposite effect, and is partially responsible for what Detroit has become today. A burned out mess. Detroit was the most racist place I've ever lived, and I've lived in Texas on and off for the last 25 years. Government intervention will NEVER EVER solve racial issues. Those issues are resolved over time on a personal one on one basis. Slowly of course, but things are much better than they were when I was a kid.

Actually it wasn't all that traumatic. Like I said, we moved out to the suburbs the next year and there wasn't a black kid in the school. So in reality it had the opposite effect, and is partially responsible for what Detroit has become today. A burned out mess. Detroit was the most racist place I've ever lived, and I've lived in Texas on and off for the last 25 years. Government intervention will NEVER EVER solve racial issues. Those issues are resolved over time on a personal one on one basis. Slowly of course, but things are much better than they were when I was a kid.

Of course you can't legislate people to think differently. However, you do have to make some concessions to what has been a historically horrible situation. Black people do not have access to inherited wealth, they are often living in degrading and slummy situations and it's not really as easy as saying, well get a job and move and you can leave it all behind you. A few can, but most can't so some intervention is necessary to try to make up for what was lost historically.

:rofl::rofl:

For the record, I have rarely reported anyone for anything and I have never reported you. Clearly someone is spreading some interesting stuff about my reporting record and as only the mods have access to that, it does put things in an interesting light. If I had actually reported everyone that ever insulted me the mods would be busy. I really do not care enough to do it.

Edited by The Truth™

For the record, I have rarely reported anyone for anything and I have never reported you. Clearly someone is spreading some interesting stuff about my reporting record and as only the mods have access to that, it does put things in an interesting light.

I have no idea what your reporting record is, but the above post could leave one to wonder.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

I have no idea what your reporting record is, but the above post could leave one to wonder.

Oh good grief, wonder all you like, I really don't give a #######.

You know, all I wanted to do was edit Kip's post so that the interested members could read that part of his story. I thought that taking out the slurs was enough. Some were still offended, for that I apologize. I understand where moderation is coming from on this, and I sincerely hope that the same standards will be used evenly. There are lots of slang terms for just about everything, and it is tough to tell which ones will be offensive and who may be offended in some cases. If the time has come for political correctness, so be it.

Oh good grief, wonder all you like, I really don't give a #######.

I am offended by the word #######. For political correctness, I kindly ask that you change your post to something more acceptable.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Hopefully it's not too late to get back on topic, but does anyone know whatever happened to Lord Infamous? Just saw a program about atheism and it reminded me of LI. Also what happened to Sousuke?

I wonder what happened to him too. Do you remember what name he was using? I know he had changed it from Lord Infamous. I'm betting he converted. :devil: I think Sousuke had the account closed, if I'm remembering correctly.

Eric disappeared again too.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015