The Nature Boy

Roll Call of Fallen Commrades

2,825 posts in this topic

Hmmmm.....reread "the post" (thanks for the repost Mr. Turtle)....

I see the slur has been edited but...(sorry to be a Negative Ned & a Persnickety Pete but, I gots principles I lives by) =

IMO - it still ain't TOS friendly. Why? Coz sexual orientation should not dictate the quality of a person. & yet...according to the poster..being a Lesbian = Scum?

(I'm gonna read it again...brb)

ETA: See for yourself and be your own judge...please.

Sorry to pile on but I think it needs to be pulled and edited again = no mention of sexual orientation = clean post.

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

I (originally posted the quote in my prior post. I realize it should be pulled. Not knowing if Kathryn will just clean my post (& remove this quote)..and Knowing she is the only Mod capable of editing Member posts..yada yada...

I include the quote in this post and HOPE A MOD WILL DELETE IT ASAP...but leave it long enough to make clear the violation (to other readers)...but of course = Mod discretion.

(quote has been removed as post has been removed-VJ Moderation)

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove quoted post also removed

Why don't you just leave it alone tell the op what you think and move on instead of giving them an excuse to shut us down

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Why don't you just leave it alone tell the op what you think and move on instead of giving them an excuse to shut us down

Maybe he should fill out a moderator application. If one exists anyway.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

So we're not sharing opinions via forum threads anymore...it's all been rerouted to Instant Messenger..? I musta missed the announcement.

(& I am not sure how to react when I read "THE" Nature Boy...suggesting another member..."let it go"....but...it made me laugh to type it just now)

Maybe he should fill out a moderator application. If one exists anyway.

Not Interested and even I IF = Don't qualify. ..I have a track record = "chronic offender"..& no time for it.

FWIW - I think the forum should be policed by participating members ...I am a convert= I'm staunch on = refuse to click report button.

I also recognize = sometimes just have to walk away from an argument. (don't call me Chicken!)

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

When I edited the post, I took out the slang terms and left the rest. I sincerely thought that was what moderation wanted removed. I had no intention to cause even more controversy, and for that I apologize.

We need to have some very detailed rules and a list of unusable words as a guide to go by. There were dozens upon dozens of threads painting blacks, gays, etc in a negative light, yet that was considered someone's opinion. If we're expected to do a 180 on what is allowed, we really do need some very explicit instructions. If we don't know what the rules are, we can't follow them. And using common sense and trying to be "politically correct" isn't going to work, IMO. Someone is going to be offended no matter what. Whether here or in real life, we see and hear things we don't like. Comedians make jokes on TV, people are offended. Oprah had content that offended some people. The news has stories that offend people. If I don't like what I'm seeing, I change the channel or turn off the TV. I don't laugh at racist jokes. I don't hang around with racist people.

If there is a VJ thread about basket weaving, I don't read it. We had people in this thread making post after post judging someone they didn't know, calling him a fat, lazy slob. Questioning his financial status. All because they don't approve of his lifestyle or choices in life. They posted to cause controversy and trouble. Lot's of judging goes on in these forums. I find some of it quite offensive, but it's my choice to continue to participate.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

If there is a VJ thread about basket weaving, I don't read it. We had people in this thread making post after post judging someone they didn't know, calling him a fat, lazy slob. Questioning his financial status. All because they don't approve of his lifestyle or choices in life. They posted to cause controversy and trouble. Lot's of judging goes on in these forums. I find some of it quite offensive, but it's my choice to continue to participate.

It seems to come down the demographic who is on the receiving end of the attack. Some subjects are off limits, in other cases it's open season so fire away.

That said, if you're a habitual offender, I suspect your posts will be scrutinized more than someone who is not.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

It seems to come down the demographic who is on the receiving end of the attack. Some subjects are off limits, in other cases it's open season so fire away.

That said, if you're a habitual offender, I suspect your posts will be scrutinized more than someone who is not.

Another factor playing into things is the particular offender(s) responsible. Some here have been allowed to get away with offensive remarks and/or commentary, because their target(s) are less inclined to hit the report button. Then, as things go on, their behaviour becomes more "accepted" and they are allowed more leeway in their offences than, say, someone who doesn't usually make such comments.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

IMO - it's really quite simple.

Example -

Danno used "research" to explain / argue his pov regarding the pro / con of specific population - racial or sexual orientation or marital status - demographic.

BUT

Danno NEVER referred to any of the above with a slur.

(that's how I recall his posting history)

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

So it is okay to use hate speech, but not to "question" someone's financial status? That really bothers you? It is well-known that Kip was unemployed, because he talked about it a lot. I don't see how asking "hey, what's the deal" is offensive. You are right that thetruth does not know his financial status, so she was asking about his claim. On the other hand if he had said "don't question my financials, I find it offensive" I am sure she would have stopped.

The issue is that this board becomes a platform for hate speech. I have long said that using this place to post "pet" articles promoting ones POV should not be allowed, especially if it involves reducing some groups' worth as people, and without the real intent to discuss, but rather to indoctrinate.

Regarding offensive slurs, the issue doesn't come down to replacing the word, but the intent behind them. It is one thing to say "I don't like these people in my story" and another say say "they were lesbians, so they were obviously bad, know what I mean? *waggle eyebrows.*"

If that's what you got from what I posted, I don't know what else to say.

IMO - it's really quite simple.

Example -

Danno used "research" to explain / argue his pov regarding the pro / con of specific population - racial or sexual orientation or marital status - demographic.

BUT

Danno NEVER referred to any of the above with a slur.

(that's how I recall his posting history)

So that was ok then? He posted hundreds of such threads to paint blacks and in a negative light, but that was ok, no racial slurs? Just opinion?

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015