doodads

My Senator's Staff Came Through!

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Back in December, I posted here that my K-3 petion for my wife was denied because DHS said that I did not respond to their RFE in 89 days. The letter said that there was no appeal to this decision. I never received the RFE. Our status shown in my account on their website has not changed since they received my paperwork back in June 2006.

I contacted my Senator's staff in December, not hoping for much help from them. Yesterday a woman on the Senator's staff telephoned me and said that the case is being reopened. She faxed me the RFE, I completed it, and she faxed it to DHS. There is justice!!

Concerning our IR1/CR1 paperwork, I was waiting for the IV Bill. There was nothing about its status in my account on the DHS website. Last week I called the NVC, and the woman said that the IV Bill was mailed out to me, and it was returned as undeliverable. She read the address that it was sent to, and it was my correct address. She told me that they would send it to me again. Unbelievable!

Bob

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Go buy a lottery ticket. You're due for some good luck!

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Glad to hear you got it worked out. The only thing I have heard here regarding undeliverable mail is that if your full name is not on the mailbox, sometimes it won't be delivered. If this is the case, make sure your full name appears. If that's not the case, their bad, right?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Good news about reopening the case!

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

dipsticks, good luck contacting your representative. I hope they can do something about your case as you've been waiting a long time. I'm the beneficiary so I'm not sure who you would contact.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Actually, I contacted the offices of my Congressman and both Senators. One Senator replied that he was retiring and leaving office in January, so he couldn't help me. Both the Congressman's office and the other Senator's office contacted DHS, but the Senator's office came through first.

So if I were you, I would contact all three (two Senators and the Congressman). Call first, they will email a privacy form to fill out. Ask for the person who handles immigration matters. Then email/fax them the details/documents to support your case.

Bob

Im so happy that things worked out for you!!!! Please send that god luck mojo my way! Im contacting my representatative this week....Im a little sonfused as to whom I have to contact my senator or congressman?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Or just go to their website, download and fill out the privacy form under "constituent's service" and fax along with a letter explaining your reason for contacting them. That will save one step. Then be sure to call and follow up to get the name/contact information of the person assigned to your case so you know who to call for follow up.

It's usually better to deal with only one office - multiple inquiries from multiple offices can slow things down and most senators prefer to have only one contact dealing with a given case (one senator's office asked me to deal with only one because they were duplicating their efforts - I chose to stick with the most responsive/best informed contact). Of course, if the first office you contact is not helpful or is clueless, move on!

Filed: Timeline

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I got all my information ready last week but when I called the office where I was supposed to fax my form I heard a recording saying that they were going to be closed all week last week. Im hoping tomrrow every one is nice and rested after the Martin Luther King holiday, and I can get someone kind enough to help me out.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
Im so happy that things worked out for you!!!! Please send that god luck mojo my way! Im contacting my representatative this week....Im a little sonfused as to whom I have to contact my senator or congressman?

DipSticks: If you get some of that mojo, will you share just a little with me?? I too have contacted my Senator recently.

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just another consideration about 'undeliverable mail' returned from a correct address . . . Back when I applied for my second AP or EAD (don't recall which now) the envelope in which it was delivered could have been returned as undeliverable and no one would have questioned it. The reason was that the address when it was printed at source was smeared while the ink was still wet. The only thing legible on the envelope was the zipcode (which was smeared but could be seen through the smear), the house number, part of the street name and the street type. My name, the rest of the street name beyond the first 4 letters (8 letters in the name), the City and the State were all obliterated by the smear. My postman deserves a medal for delivering it with such scant information legible on the envelope. I suspect that there are others whose envelopes suffered the same fate at source (printed at USCIS - Lee's Summit) and did not have enough legible information left or their postmen weren't able to discern the address from what was available, whose letters were returned as undeliverable. I did send a letter back to the Lee's Summit return address advising them of the condition of the envelope and enclosing a photocopy. Of course, I heard nothing back.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.