ding

How useful is the 'Proof of Ongoing Relationship'?

29 posts in this topic

C. has a shoebox full of phone cards because he's a pack rat. He's not bringing them to the interview because it doesn't show a damned thing about whom he called. Woo, expired plastic.

We're using a couple months of my phone bills, since they have my name and lists of calls itemized to his number, some photographs, a couple e-mails, and a memory album. The phone cards can sit in the drawer, imo.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Rida and I use phone cards, but more often we call each other through yahoo messenger. You can archive the calls you make. The call log tells you who the incoming calls are from, who your outgoing calls are to, the date of the call, the time the call was made and the duration fo the call. Best of all, no charge. You will need YM and a headset though. We talk for hours on end that way and we have a record to give during the interview. Hope this helps.

Maybe YM is next for me, after my 3.9 cents a minute card that is -clear as a bell. It seems important to hear well when deciphering a foreign accent and applying it to bureaucrat speak. I heard stress in her voice as we tried to work on the DS-230 Part 1 Biographic Data and letters of intent to marry/how we met.

I tried Skype and may again if I can find out how their records can be downloaded & printed. I just couldn't hear well. I tried a headset, a usb phone, Skype-in, Skype-out. Nothing sounded very clear. Never got customer support either, especially when trying to quit/stop the service charges.

[edit to add]

I wonder if sending money via Western Union would provide a solid record of an ongoing relationship, and evidence of support later too...

Other ways are cheaper, but this would buy a convenient record wouldn't it? (I never have used it)

Edited by ding

2-2-07 Sent I-129F to NSC

2-6-07 NSC received USPS mail, NSC then to CSC

2-15-07 NOA1 -file received

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

5-4-07 NOA2 approval -email

5-13-07 sent cancellation request letter

6-7-07 we're going to retry with a K-3

8-6-07 married in Thailand (dual language, dual representation prenuptial)

8-7-07 sent K3 from Bangkok

9-10-07 I-130 NOA1, (received at CSC 8-9-07)

10-9-07 sent I-129F to CSC

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

9-13-07 I-129F for Spouse arrived CSC via USPS return rcpt. requested

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

7-11-08 interview Bangkok, passed.

7-16-08 POE arrival, 2 hours in Seattle Customs.

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

AOS NOA1 4-13-09 for all; I-485, I-131, I765

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

Social Security card 8-4-09

interview 9-10-09

10 year green card expires 9-17-19, Permanent Resident Card.

Resident since 9-10-09.

Starting my I-129F and wondering how useful the 'Proof of Ongoing Relationship' is?

I talk to her daily, but the phone cards only show a vague charge name on my credit card. Will there be a RFE that we are still involved with each other.

Should I mail a postcard just for evidence? Copy emails?

-thanks!

Pictures together will prove that you two have met prior to K1 application and of your relationship. Airline tickets, boarding passes, itineraries, stamped passport pages, hotel accomodations/receipts, etc. are the kind of proofs that you'll need to include in your I-129F packet. As for the telephone bills, letters, email and the likes, you can use them for the interview part later. Sending postcard and mail will help establish your ongoing relationship and might be of help as well.

Mae

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

it will help to have pictures of the two of you together, cards, something that shows that the two have you have met and spent time together - visits to each others cities and take some pictures of yourself in front of landmarks. I went to Wrigley field and took pictures there, Water Tower reading the paper..etc. Also had a going away party with my friends...so they can see the interest level

During my interview at the consulate my interviewer went through every picture and asked many many questions. I had itineraries, boarding passes, tickets to games and concerts etc. I really believe this helped me get through the interview process quickly

Good luck

And so the process begins - K1 here we come

August 02 - 04 NOA1 (Nebraska) - they say wait 150-180days - ouch!

October 14 - 04 NOA2 (WOW!! 74 days - yee haa!!) - received via email

October 16 -04 Garage sale - lets get rid of it all - start a new life with my sweetie

October 23 -04 Got officially engaged at my parents house in Calgary - lots of fun

October 29 -04 Received letter from NVC saying that the consulate will be notified

November 8 -04 Received Packet 3 from Vancouver Consulate - everything as expected

November 11-04 Faxed check list and DS 230 Pt 1 (still waiting for good ole Doc Morgan to call back for a medical appointment)

November 12 - 04 Doc Morgan called - set for Nov 24 (waiting on passport and vaccine info)

November 22 - 04 -- got my interview date - yyyeeeee haaaaa

December 06 -04 INTERVIEW - APPROVED - YEEE HAAAA

Jan 11-05 - ARRIVED IN CHICAGO

Feb 03-05 Applied for SSN - was not in SAVE system - SSA sent my documents to INS for confirmation - another wait begins

March 14 -05 - Its here - yippee - i got an SSN and now i can apply for ID and a bank account and of course a JOB!!

March 22 -05 - GOT MARRIED

April 05 - applied for Adjustment of Status

Jan 06 - Received Green Card in the mail

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Nov 14-2007 Sent in my I-751 to Lift Conditions (I should have sent it on Oct 4th - late late late)

Dec 29 - 2007 Received NOA and notice for Biometrics on same day

Jan 2 - 2008 Did my biometrics

I use Skype to call my fiance. We spent 25$ on 2 sets of headphones and call each others computers. Its free and we get a record of our calls. I'm submitting lots of stuff just to be on the safe side. I made Paul keep all our tickets and letters etc! We're submitting in a few weeks, good luck on yours!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I use Skype to call my fiance. We spent 25$ on 2 sets of headphones and call each others computers. Its free and we get a record of our calls. I'm submitting lots of stuff just to be on the safe side. I made Paul keep all our tickets and letters etc! We're submitting in a few weeks, good luck on yours!

Maybe it was because I called a cell phone and not a high speed internet computer. Not many average working Thais have computers or high speed internet. But even the land line I called was hard to hear and there was a delay that was awkward.

I've used my cell to call my phonecard connection #, and I'll write a postcard or two. I printed out our emails and emails from the phone card. That should prove our continuing relationship.

I'm pretty sure our in-person meeting is well documented. I have copies where both of us signed hotel registrations and a pic in front of one of those hotels' sign. Passport stamps. Hard copies of air tix and travel agency itinerary. ATM withdrawal slips from my account. etc...

2-2-07 Sent I-129F to NSC

2-6-07 NSC received USPS mail, NSC then to CSC

2-15-07 NOA1 -file received

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

5-4-07 NOA2 approval -email

5-13-07 sent cancellation request letter

6-7-07 we're going to retry with a K-3

8-6-07 married in Thailand (dual language, dual representation prenuptial)

8-7-07 sent K3 from Bangkok

9-10-07 I-130 NOA1, (received at CSC 8-9-07)

10-9-07 sent I-129F to CSC

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

9-13-07 I-129F for Spouse arrived CSC via USPS return rcpt. requested

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

7-11-08 interview Bangkok, passed.

7-16-08 POE arrival, 2 hours in Seattle Customs.

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

AOS NOA1 4-13-09 for all; I-485, I-131, I765

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

Social Security card 8-4-09

interview 9-10-09

10 year green card expires 9-17-19, Permanent Resident Card.

Resident since 9-10-09.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Maybe it was because I called a cell phone and not a high speed internet computer. Not many average working Thais have computers or high speed internet. But even the land line I called was hard to hear and there was a delay that was awkward.

I've used my cell to call my phonecard connection #, and I'll write a postcard or two. I printed out our emails and emails from the phone card. That should prove our continuing relationship.

I'm pretty sure our in-person meeting is well documented. I have copies where both of us signed hotel registrations and a pic in front of one of those hotels' sign. Passport stamps. Hard copies of air tix and travel agency itinerary. ATM withdrawal slips from my account. etc...

Ding, that sounds reasonable. I know some say you can never give them too much evidence, but we probably worry more than we need at times! Hope what you've got will be more than enough.

When I mentioned Skype in my earlier post, I also meant: comp to comp calls. We never used it comp to phone - trying to save money :-) And, yeah, I know it is different and can be difficult with dial-up and slow comps. Good luck with doing the best you can!

I129F process:

20 July '06- I129F filed with CSC (Got a lawyer - BIG MISTAKE... Didn't know of VJ!!!)

28 July '06 - NOA1

08 Dec '06 - NOA2

06 Feb '07 - medical

12 Mar '07 ----- INTERVIEW ----- A P P R O V E D -----

4 Apr '07 - US entry - San Francisco

1 July '07 - MARRIED in SF :)

AOS process (after K-1):

24 July '07 - AOS application received by Chicago Office

09 August '07 - Biometrics appt letter

24 August '07 - RFE for I-485 (incomplete tax info sent!)

28 August '07 - NOA letters for AOS, EAD and AP

29 August '07 - Biometrics

AP - 12 October '07 - hard copy: multiple travel, valid 12 months

EAD - 18 October '07 - hard copy: valid from the date of 1st notice of card production

SSN - 30 October '07 (married name), applied Oct 18, same day I got my EAD

DL - 11 December '07 - driving test at DMV San Francisco. Yay! Now I can drive on the "wrong" side of the road!

21 November '07 - AOS Interview (Letter rec'd Oct 15) ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D ----- A P P R O V E D -----

07 December '07 - GREENCARD IN MAIL

Peace and quiet... apply for removal of conditions - August 2009!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Rida and I use phone cards, but more often we call each other through yahoo messenger. You can archive the calls you make. The call log tells you who the incoming calls are from, who your outgoing calls are to, the date of the call, the time the call was made and the duration fo the call. Best of all, no charge. You will need YM and a headset though. We talk for hours on end that way and we have a record to give during the interview. Hope this helps.

Maybe YM is next for me, after my 3.9 cents a minute card that is -clear as a bell. It seems important to hear well when deciphering a foreign accent and applying it to bureaucrat speak. I heard stress in her voice as we tried to work on the DS-230 Part 1 Biographic Data and letters of intent to marry/how we met.

I tried Skype and may again if I can find out how their records can be downloaded & printed. I just couldn't hear well. I tried a headset, a usb phone, Skype-in, Skype-out. Nothing sounded very clear. Never got customer support either, especially when trying to quit/stop the service charges.

[edit to add]

I wonder if sending money via Western Union would provide a solid record of an ongoing relationship, and evidence of support later too...

Other ways are cheaper, but this would buy a convenient record wouldn't it? (I never have used it)

Oh, I forgot about this. I have sent Kumar money by Western Union a few times online('Money in Minutes') and when I log in it shows a clear transaction history. I will print this out and include it with my I-129F.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tanzania
Timeline

PINGO.com prepaid calling card, keeps records, OK rates.

good luck! :star:

K-1 - VSC

Aug 2005 -- 1st trip, We meet, become friends; Jan 2006 -- start dating

April 2006 -- 2nd trip, We get engaged; Sept-Nov 2006 -- 3rd trip, More time together

Feb 8, 2007 -- Mailed 129-F package to VSC

Feb 13 -- NOA1!

Feb 19 -- Touched

Feb 20 -- check cashed! NOA1 arrives snail mail!

Feb 22 -- Touched

Mar 8 -- NOA2 email!

Mar 12 -- NVC recieves

Mar 15 -- NVC sends out

Mar. 26 -- Packet 3!

Apr 17 -- Medical

Apr 24 -- Interview, Approved!

Apr 27 -- Picked up passport

May 4 -- POE JFK

May 19-- Apply for SS#

Jul 13 -- Married!

Jul 24 -- Sent out AOS/EAD paperwork

End of Aug -- NOA for EAD and AOS

Sept 6 -- Biometrics

Sep 21 -- Email that AOS app was transfered to CSC

Sept 24 -- Email that EAD is on its way

Oct 10 -- EAD card recvd

Nov 10 -- Email that AOS APPROVED!!!!! (no interview)

Nov 16 -- Green card arrives in mail

http://fiancevisatz.blogspot.com/

"Love always finds its way home"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

[edit to add]

Oh, I forgot about this. I have sent Kumar money by Western Union a few times online('Money in Minutes') and when I log in it shows a clear transaction history. I will print this out and include it with my I-129F.

I have heard it is supposed to be a bad sign if the USC woman is older and has sent money. Dunno though.

Filed: Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

:help:

We are also using Skype and it is great - free and much better quality than regular phones. I can even call my Fiance to his work 800 number for free. I have a question though:

I can see my call history when I'm logged in, but how do I get a printable view?

Thank you for any help with this :blush:

L&H

K1 Journey

2007-01-24 I-129F sent to CSC (day 0)

2007-05-07 NOA2 (day 103)

2007-06-23 US entry, POE New York JFK (day 150)

2007-07-20 MARRIED!!!

AOS Journey

2007-07-25 AOS + EAD applications sent to Chicago lockbox

2007-09-15 Biometrics Appt in Oakland

2007-10-17 EAD card arrived in mail

2007-11-19 AOS interview in San Francisco - approved pending FBI name check

2007-12-22 AOS approved!!!

I-751 Journey

2009-10-21 I-751 sent to CSC

2009-10-23 package arrived at CSC

2009-10-23 NOA1 date (time 21:03)

2009-10-27 check cashed

2009-12-01 Biometrics Appt in Oakland

2009-12-22 CRIS email: "card production ordered" - exactly 2 years from my CGC!!!

2010-01-04 10yr GC received!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

[edit to add]

Skype records can't be downloaded and printed, you just go to your call history and take screenshots, scrolling through them patiently, which you can paste into a file for printing. I printed 42 pages of records, each showing about 16-17 calls between us.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-18

NVC Received : 2006-10-20

NVC Left : 2006-10-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-02

Packet 4 Received : 2006-12-07

Interview Date : 2007-01-31

Visa Received : 2007-02-03

US Entry : 2007-03-06

Marriage : 2007-03-30

Filed: Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

Thanks, mmb!

PrintScreen button was the only way how I could get the records out. I guess I'll just print a few pages with random dates spreading from the time we started using Skype until the Interview date. I'm not going to prove every single call and waste so much paper on this... Saving our forests! :innocent:

L&H

K1 Journey

2007-01-24 I-129F sent to CSC (day 0)

2007-05-07 NOA2 (day 103)

2007-06-23 US entry, POE New York JFK (day 150)

2007-07-20 MARRIED!!!

AOS Journey

2007-07-25 AOS + EAD applications sent to Chicago lockbox

2007-09-15 Biometrics Appt in Oakland

2007-10-17 EAD card arrived in mail

2007-11-19 AOS interview in San Francisco - approved pending FBI name check

2007-12-22 AOS approved!!!

I-751 Journey

2009-10-21 I-751 sent to CSC

2009-10-23 package arrived at CSC

2009-10-23 NOA1 date (time 21:03)

2009-10-27 check cashed

2009-12-01 Biometrics Appt in Oakland

2009-12-22 CRIS email: "card production ordered" - exactly 2 years from my CGC!!!

2010-01-04 10yr GC received!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I like using the prepaid cards to Thailand and it only costs me 1 cent per minute. No record of calls but the cards must amount to something. I too have tons of emails and will be taking a ton of pictures (with dates and times printed on front) in April on my return trip to Thailand. This and airline ticket receipts, boarding passes and hotel receipts are good. Can there be anything else?

Ken

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.