speaktru69

Fiance Approved Monday! Strange Question To me When I Attended With Her

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Absolutely over the moon my fiance was approved yesterday. Thank You to all who have helped out with my Questions.

However, I was a bit worried at first as she had been denied a visitor visa in 2003 and was asked about this by the first person who took the documents. Then because of my fault when she used to visit me in the states before I moved over, She overstayed by one day on her visa waiver and was asked about this from the interviewer.

However the person who takes the paperwork initially asked ME (The Petitioner) for proof that I was planning to sever all ties to the UK?!! I said yes and just happen to bring my deeds to my property I purchased in November. He took them and clipped it to the other original documents for the interview.

There really wasn't an interview per se as the interviewer asked:

You overstayed your Visa Waiver - Yes it was an accident when counting days

how long we've been together - 11 years

Who is the joint sponsor to you - My partners cousin's husband

Does he reside in the US - Yes

Have you ever lived in another country besides the UK - NO (she asked this twice)

Then asked my partner why she had changed her name (this was done years before I met her) - My partner hated her Birth name

Why my partner wants to live in the USA - Because her partner (meaning me) has lived in the UK for 9 years and wants to go home to my family

Where were we planning to live - New Hampshire

There are Cold winters there - Yes very

Then to ME - Was I planning to marry my partner - Well I've already done it once in a civil partnership so Yes, plus My family will be there this time.

I'm going to recommend you be approved for a visa - Thank you so much!

I have never on this website heard of anyone being asked to prove that they would be severing ties with this country. I thought it was odd, but fortunately I was prepared.

My partner did not receive her Big Brown Envelope after the interview either and was told this would be mailed to her with the visa.

Just happy it was done and dusted. Never asked for proof of relationship stuff. Probably because we provided a copy of our civil partnership as change of name proof.

Arrived at 7:20 and left at 9:30. First class virgin train to and from was lovely as it will be the last time, as her cousin will be picking us and our 3 dogs up to take to London Heathrow in a Big Van. Now to downsize and save more money for our move at the end August.

Because my partner had her medical February 20th, she needs to land in the states by August 20th. So 6 moths from medical not 180 days.

Glad there was no need for a Lawyer as you guys have all be great. Thanks and good luck to all!

Forgot to mention: I was asked for a new letter of intent to marry by the first person who took my documents as my petition had expired in April. Just an FYI

P.S. When my partner was told to raise her right hand and swear to tell the truth I chuckled and she almost wacked me one. Hey, I though it was funny. Especially how fast her right hand flew up. LOL CHEERS!!

Edited by speaktru69

Congrats on the approval.

Service Center : California Service Center on 2014-03-17Consulate : London, United KingdomI-129F Sent : 2014-03-10I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-14I-129F NOA2 : 2014-04-07NVC Received :4/21/2014NVC Left :4/23/2014Consulate Received :2014-04-29Packet 3 Received :2014-05-01Packet 3 Sent :2014-05-01Medical Complete: 2014-05-07Packet 4 Received :2014-5-31Interview Date :2014-06-06Visa Issued: 2014-06-10Visa Package Received: 2014-06-13Arrival at POE Seattle: 2014-6-13

Married 07/07/2014

AOS Timeline
AOS package mailed 08/08/2014 (Chicago Lockbox)
NOA date 8/13/2014
Biometrics done 09/14/2014
INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 10/31/2014
Approval e-mail 10/31/2014
Card production e-mail 12/27/2011
GREEN CARD ARRIVED 11/08/201

Employment Authorization Document
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance : First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2014-09-04
Approved Date : 2014-09-25
Date Card Received : 2014-10-03

ADVANCED Parole
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance :First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Date Received : 2014-10-03

ROC Timeline
ROC package mailed to CSC 10/13/2016
NOA1 date 10/17/2016
Biometrics date 12/8/2016

Interview: None
Card production ordered: 03/27/2018
10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED

Because my partner had her medical February 20th, she needs to land in the states by August 20th. So 6 moths from medical not 180 days.

Huh? I thought it was 6 months from when you receive your visa that you have to enter the country?

Congrats btw :D

However the person who takes the paperwork initially asked ME (The Petitioner) for proof that I was planning to sever all ties to the UK?!! I said yes and just happen to bring my deeds to my property I purchased in November. He took them and clipped it to the other original documents for the interview.

I have never on this website heard of anyone being asked to prove that they would be severing ties with this country. I thought it was odd, but fortunately I was prepared.

I have, but it was a DCF spouse visa couple. The sponsor on an I-864 is required to be domiciled in the US or show intent to domicile. So they were asked for resignation notices from work or house selling papers, I guess to show intent to domicile in the US. The visa couple said they weren't severing anything until they got a visa. It was kind of a one off situation and not something DCF couples usually experience in London.

And for a fiancé, the approval of the I-134 is not dependant on domicile. The sponsor could be foreign, but the Foreign Affairs Manual guidelines to the interviewer does suggest a US based sponsor should be valued higher when deciding. The whole I-134 is a judgement call with no strict rules. It is very odd you were asked that since your visa decision doesn't depend on you documenting severing of ties. I feel like had you not happened to have the papers with you, you still would have been approved.

My partner did not receive her Big Brown Envelope after the interview either and was told this would be mailed to her with the visa.

Nobody gets it at the interview. It will contain your entire immigration file from I-129F to post interview. They aren't through with the file until they get the visa printed. It will not be mailed. It comes by courier along with the passport/visa.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Huh? I thought it was 6 months from when you receive your visa that you have to enter the country?

Congrats btw :D

No. Six months from the medical because your TB clearance is only good for 6 months. Should you require longer, you would have to return to Knightsbridge and get another chest x-ray to have the visa extended. Or in the case of people who rush to get their medical done, then get held up on the visa longer than 6 months, they have a re-do at Knightsbridge for the TB.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

No. Six months from the medical because your TB clearance is only good for 6 months. Should you require longer, you would have to return to Knightsbridge and get another chest x-ray to have the visa extended. Or in the case of people who rush to get their medical done, then get held up on the visa longer than 6 months, they have a re-do at Knightsbridge for the TB.

Okay, thank you clearing that up Nich-Nick! I had my medical on April 8th, so it's good until October 8th. That doesn't have any implications on AOS does it?

Okay, thank you clearing that up Nich-Nick! I had my medical on April 8th, so it's good until October 8th. That doesn't have any implications on AOS does it?

None. Enter by Oct 8. Visa is over and void on day you enter so it's expiration doesn't matter once you have used it.

Marry within 90 days of that entry date. AOS anytime, but the sooner the better because you are kind of a nothing until you get at least an EAD card (work authorization). Before that you can't work, most likely can't get a driver license, some banks act weird and won't let you have an account. The first few months after entry as a K1 can suck and frustrate you. If you don't hurry and marry and get that AOS packet in the mail, you prolong the time until you feel like you belong.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

None. Enter by Oct 8. Visa is over and void on day you enter so it's expiration doesn't matter once you have used it.

Marry within 90 days of that entry date. AOS anytime, but the sooner the better because you are kind of a nothing until you get at least an EAD card (work authorization). Before that you can't work, most likely can't get a driver license, some banks act weird and won't let you have an account. The first few months after entry as a K1 can suck and frustrate you. If you don't hurry and marry and get that AOS packet in the mail, you prolong the time until you feel like you belong.

Ok thank you. I'm entering 3 weeks before we get married so i plan to get as much AOS stuff done before we marry etc

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.