M&G

Can I become command sponsored during AOS? Or do I need to have a green card?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi fellow VJ members,

My USC husband is an Army officer stationed at Schofield Barracks here in Hawaii, and he's trying to get me command sponsorship. We got married in March and I'm in the middle of AOS (my biometrics appointment is in 2 weeks). Yesterday I called the Schofield clinic and scheduled my physical for next week, but today my husband was told that I can't be command sponsored until I have received my greed card. I don't think that's true though. Does anyone know anything about this? Have any of you been told this before?

Thanks in advance for your help.

K1 Visa in 2013

AOS in 2014

N-400 in 2015 {based on Section 319(b) INA}

:time:

Hi fellow VJ members,

My USC husband is an Army officer stationed at Schofield Barracks here in Hawaii, and he's trying to get me command sponsorship. We got married in March and I'm in the middle of AOS (my biometrics appointment is in 2 weeks). Yesterday I called the Schofield clinic and scheduled my physical for next week, but today my husband was told that I can't be command sponsored until I have received my greed card. I don't think that's true though. Does anyone know anything about this? Have any of you been told this before?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I asked my husband about this. He was stationed in Guam before and his high command in Hawaii (he is in the USCG). He told me that his command can sponsored me as well and never mentioned about green card. But they do have requirement. For instance they won't sponsored me a year before my husband is going to transfer (If I was lived overseas).

As far as my concern, there a lot military active duty members where they petitioned their spouses under IR-1/CR-1 and still get all benefits though they still don't have their green card yet. Because after got married, military active duty members started to put their spouses as dependent - which what my husband is doing now-. My husband's boss never mentioned a green card either here in Key West. As long as you are in his list as dependent, it should not be a problem and you can get all benefits as his wife.

Edited by Girl from Celebes

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

I married my husband and got command sponsored. We married September 2012 and I received my green card month ago so I didn't need green card for it. I think you have to be one year after marriage at same duty station. I had no issue getting Tricare in Europe even without SSN , but than we moved here and I was In AOS process and didn't have SSN and they wouldn't add me to dental. Some people has issue get on Tricare without SSN.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you for the replies. I have a SSN and I had no issues getting TRICARE. Also my husband has more than a year left here so that shouldn't be an issue. I just hope this person who told him about the green card requirement won't be a problem for us.

K1 Visa in 2013

AOS in 2014

N-400 in 2015 {based on Section 319(b) INA}

:time:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.