therealme

DV Interview and Adjust Status Questions

18 posts in this topic

Happy to correct you :)

L-visa is also a dual intent visa. And I know that cause I was kinda offered the Illusive "path to..." but my wife was not my wife yet and had to finish her degree an all that stuff. And I would be tied to my employer, bla, bla. It was just not feasible back then. :)

"L-1 visa may legally be used as a stepping stone to a green card under the doctrine of dual intent."

It wouldn't work for the OP but nonetheless you can pursue green card on L- visa.

Duly corrected.

I see spouse of L1 can work, much more useful than the H1 - though depending where you are from the timing on L1 seems like it could be very tricky for actual GC conversion (absent DV).

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Duly corrected.

I see spouse of L1 can work, much more useful than the H1 - though depending where you are from the timing on L1 seems like it could be very tricky for actual GC conversion (absent DV).

Yes. I found L-1 to be more useful than H1 although both categories seem to be risky to me. I mean to work temporally in the US they are OK but pursuing GC and establishing a life in the US on both of them is a bit of a gamble to me. Especially in the industry where I work. I've heard of people who had their process stopped both on L and H. Unofortunately your fate is in the hands of your employer and even after years and years of working on H visa you may be forced to leave within a month or so.

In anticipation of sequestration (my company does a lot of work for DOD - military aerospace stuff) my company laid off 130 people last year I think. Starting with contractors and foreigners working on commercial stuff. So a lot of L1's and H's were canceled.

That's why I find DV to be the Holy Grail o all visas. One to rule them all. Ninja Visa :)

Edited by franko

The world is governed by chance. Randomness stalks us every day of our lives.

FRANKYNUMBERVILLE ! :content:

Agree. I was in discussions for a good job a few years ago and they were prepared to sponsor me a visa, didn't really go into it but it must have been H1 because was told spouse couldn't work on it... Which was not suitable so like you broke it off. Also the employer was, let's say, one who paid really well but known for high turnover, so all in all it was a pretty dodgy proposition. As you say dv is the holy grail - easiest to get and completely unconditional from the day you land. (And yet there are still people who complain and look this gift horse in the mouth....)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.