7 posts in this topic

Hi,

been a while since I posted as my divorce in Canada is Taking FOREVER!!!!!

It should be done and dusted by March/April this year so I'll be able to get started with the next chapter of my life.

Which is why I am asking this question, which visa to appy for?

The pro's and con's of each, does one go through quicker than the other?

I need some help to see light at the end of the tunnel, I have been away from my baby for far to long and it's starting to take it's toll on me..... :(

Thanks all

Andy

ticker.png

ticker.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Fiance(e) (K-1) Visa

ADVANTAGES

You don't need to marry immediately in your Fiance(e)'s country or the U.S.

You bring your loveone to the U.S. as your Fiancee, and both of you have 90 days to get married. This allows you both to get to know each other better and make a decision about whether you want to spend the rest of your lives together.

You deal nearly exclusively with the U.S. immigration system and U.S. immigration officials here, in the United States.

You avoid dealing with local foreign procedures of marriage in a foreign country in a foreign language.

DISADVANTAGES:

Your fiancee has a chance to see the country and get familiar with U.S. customs and language before the marriage.

Your Fiance(e) needs to make a strong effort to convince the Immigration Officer at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in her home country, that you are both in love and are planning to get married upon her arrival in the U.S.

Close family and friends will NOT see your Fiance(e) get married in the U.S. unless they could manage to obtain another type of visa such as a tourist visa, which is hard to obtain.

Spousal visa (K-3)

ADVANTAGES

You are both together immediately. Your wife's family and friends are able to attend your wedding without any delay, which is very important for Russian bride.

Local marriage in a foreign country can sometimes be accomplished in 10 days, or less.

Depending on the U.S. Consulate, the process could take much less time.

Since with a Spousal visa your wife gains U.S. legal residency immediately, future immigration work is substantially reduced. There is no need to file for the Adjustment of Status Application and wait for months during which time your wife cannot travel freely without obtaining travel parole every time she travels outside of the U.S.

DISADVANTAGES:

Extensive supporting documentation is usually necessary of a U.S. Citizen to get married in a foreign country.

It is a two-step process, instead on one. First, you are required to submit a package for the Form I-130. And, second, upon USCIS Notice of Action, you would need to send I-129F Package. It takes time and a lot of patience from both of you.

This process is very document-sensitive which means that if you are missing a document, you may have to fly back to the U.S. in order to obtain a necessary document before process can be completed.

All your documents must be translated into the native language of that country where you are planning to get married. The translation much be certified with attached apostle.

Your might end up with more expenses for the marriage itself and Embassy visa processing charges and fees.

Source: http://www.visaservice.com/k1_vs_k3.shtml

blackribbonsmall.png

Walk with the angels

let them keep you safe

we'll join you one day

in that wonderful place

stand on the clouds and never forget

we're holding on to you

in our memories and thoughts

until one day we'll meet again

Truly missed but never forgotten:

Diana

RIP 1982-08/2008

Verena

RIP 1983-03/2008

Daddy

RIP

"IMMIGRATION" PROCESS (TIMELINE):CLICK HERE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iraq
Timeline

I dont think that you can have a definite answer for your question because it depends on many issues. and I think this topic itself been discussed many times. each case has its own situation, factors that can affect the processing time are much, for example (your country, age difference between you, your fiance working situation, the service centre that will handle your case and how perfect and how fast you do all the paperworks...etc), it is supposed that K1 visa is faster but there are now many cases taking much longer time. think about your situation and decide. good luck :)

Aug 08-2011 N-400 package sent

Aug 11-2011 NOA date

Aug 12-2011 check cashed

Sep 14-2011 Biometrics

Oct 03-2011 Interview letter (Fax only)

Oct 27-2011 Interview day >>>>> PASSED

Oct 27-2011 Oath ceremony ... Journey ends here

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Depend on where you want to get married....

K1 if you want to get married in US and K3 if you want to get married before enter into US.

Steve (WA,US) & Anne (SH,CN)

P1..............2004/10/04

P2..............2005/01/10

P3..............2005/04/07

P4..............2005/08/02

Interview.....2005/09/19

Married.......2005/10/29

Filed I-485...2005/12/17

RFE submit...2006/02/27

Interview......2006/08/31

Fingerprint....2006/09/07

wel letter......2006/09/19

I-551...........2006/10/02

Share my experiences with you, China-->U.S.

Check out my website : Click here

I am not an attorny, but someone did what you are doing or going to do.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I've read many times that K-1 is quicker and easier but have no first-hand experience. In Thailand there is a Buddhist ceremony that couples can do for the family, and it's not necessary to register the marriage at the local Amphur officially.

2-2-07 Sent I-129F to NSC

2-6-07 NSC received USPS mail, NSC then to CSC

2-15-07 NOA1 -file received

2-16-07 check cashed

2-23-07 touched

5-4-07 NOA2 approval -email

5-13-07 sent cancellation request letter

6-7-07 we're going to retry with a K-3

8-6-07 married in Thailand (dual language, dual representation prenuptial)

8-7-07 sent K3 from Bangkok

9-10-07 I-130 NOA1, (received at CSC 8-9-07)

10-9-07 sent I-129F to CSC

11-1-07 touched I-130

requested consular processing I-130 (http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf)

9-13-07 I-129F for Spouse arrived CSC via USPS return rcpt. requested

4-1-08 NOA2 for K3 (I-134 supposed to be processed but processed I-129F instead)

7-11-08 interview Bangkok, passed.

7-16-08 POE arrival, 2 hours in Seattle Customs.

AOS I-486 sent 4-4-09

AOS NOA1 4-13-09 for all; I-485, I-131, I765

RFE 4-27-09 Thai official document in lieu of original Birth Certificate not sufficient???

Infopass appointment 5-26-09 at USCIS. Officer thought our doc was valid and doesn't know why the RFE.

7-28-09 EAD and AP sent

Social Security card 8-4-09

interview 9-10-09

10 year green card expires 9-17-19, Permanent Resident Card.

Resident since 9-10-09.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

K1 are faster than K3s since you only file the I-129 (whereas with K3s you need to file the I-130 and then file the I-129 when you get the NOA1 for the I-130) but it's a single entry visa so you can only enter the U.S. once until AOS. You can file for Advance Parole but you need to have a good reason if you need to go back to Canada.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

You might also be dealing with IMBRA if you go the K-1 way. But understand that everyone's situation is different. It depends upon your individual situation. Review the guides here for each type and make the decision with your fiancee. Remember, that this is suppose to be for a relationship that is planned to last a long time. Don't let a difference of a couple of weeks or months make your decision.

Discuss everything with your fiancee and decide what both of you feels best about. You mentioned you are getting a divorce now. So maybe you want to consider carefully and give both of you time to understand the implications of your decision.

Everyone here understands about the agony of being apart. There are good and bad things about both visas, but the underlying consideration should be your long term future together. A couple of weeks or months should not be your determining factor.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.