bebop + rocksteady

What do you say when crossing the border?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Alright, our interview is in Vancouver. I'll be flying into Seattle, renting a car (don't worry, I've checked out all my insurance information) and driving up to Vancouver to accompany Craigory to the interview. So my question is, when I get asked at the Canadian border what my business in Canada is, do I tell them I have an interview/meeting at the U.S. embassy? Is that going to be too much information? I mean, I'm not going on vacation. I'm not going to visit anyone. I'm not going on business. I'm there strictly to go to the medical and the interview, so I guess that's the only thing I can say and it be the truth.

I always get SO nervous when I go through customs. Even though everytime I've gone through I've been completely legitimate. Just uniforms, and mean men and women, and guns, and night sticks, and cameras, oh my! I know it's MEANT to be intimidating, and you have nothing to worry about if you are legitimate. It's just...phew, something that I will not look forward to for the rest of my life. I even get nervous when I go through U.S. Customs...and they HAVE to let me back in!

I plan on bringing all my proof of ties to the U.S., plus, I'll be driving a rental car that is due back on a certain date and I have a plane ticket flying out. And I'll probably bring a copy of our appointment letter. I just, had a bad experience last time I flew up there, even though I had all my proof of ties to the U.S. and a return ticket, they pulled me into secondary and searched me and all my belongings and interrogated me for a good hour before they let me enter.

That being said, that was at the tiny Thunder Bay airport, I can only imagine they are a little more...efficient/speedy at the Vancouver/Peace Bridge.

Alright, now everyone cross their fingers for fast melting of snow and ice. I don't need to combat driving the two hours with snow under my rental car tires. :)

:star: Cass (bebop the great)

Edited by bebop + rocksteady

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Alright, our interview is in Vancouver. I'll be flying into Seattle, renting a car (don't worry, I've checked out all my insurance information) and driving up to Vancouver to accompany Craigory to the interview. So my question is, when I get asked at the Canadian border what my business in Canada is, do I tell them I have an interview/meeting at the U.S. embassy? Is that going to be too much information? I mean, I'm not going on vacation. I'm not going to visit anyone. I'm not going on business. I'm there strictly to go to the medical and the interview, so I guess that's the only thing I can say and it be the truth.

I always get SO nervous when I go through customs. Even though everytime I've gone through I've been completely legitimate. Just uniforms, and mean men and women, and guns, and night sticks, and cameras, oh my! I know it's MEANT to be intimidating, and you have nothing to worry about if you are legitimate. It's just...phew, something that I will not look forward to for the rest of my life. I even get nervous when I go through U.S. Customs...and they HAVE to let me back in!

I plan on bringing all my proof of ties to the U.S., plus, I'll be driving a rental car that is due back on a certain date and I have a plane ticket flying out. And I'll probably bring a copy of our appointment letter. I just, had a bad experience last time I flew up there, even though I had all my proof of ties to the U.S. and a return ticket, they pulled me into secondary and searched me and all my belongings and interrogated me for a good hour before they let me enter.

That being said, that was at the tiny Thunder Bay airport, I can only imagine they are a little more...efficient/speedy at the Vancouver/Peace Bridge.

Alright, now everyone cross their fingers for fast melting of snow and ice. I don't need to combat driving the two hours with snow under my rental car tires. :)

I'd just be honest and tell them you're going to the Vancouver embassy since your fiance has a visa interview you want to be there for.

I go through Peace Arch every weekend to visit my fiance. I love the Canadian border guards there. At least three times they've just let me through without even taking my passport or ID. Of course last time they suspected me of drinking and having open alcohol in the car but they are pretty friendly overall. I wouldn't worry too much. The American ones can be a bit more suspicious but you should be fine considering you'll be going back with a rental car.

I've never had a problem nor been questioned extensively when travelling. The usual crossing in Edmonton goes like this: "What are you doing in Canada?" "End-of-semester/spring break/Christmas vacation." "Where are you saying?" "[Town name]" "Who are you staying with?" "My boyfriend and his family." Stamp. Wheee. Sometimes, the border guard flirts.

The time I drove, renting a car, on a separate trip to London, ON, where I wasn't actually meeting C., I wasn't questioned any more in depth, even though I was entering Canada to go to a conference about ten days after I'd returned from Edmonton.

Bring your ties, ensure your rental agreement has the proper paperwork that says 'Okay to drive in Canada', and say you have a meeting at the U.S. embassy in Vancouver.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline

See! Everyone else seems to never have a problem crossing. Everyone says, "It's Canada? They won't care." But I swear, everytime I go over I get searched, interrogated, pulled into secondary, or at least harassed a little. It must be hte fact that I look so nervous. Or maybe I just look evil.. :devil:

I've never had a problem nor been questioned extensively when travelling. The usual crossing in Edmonton goes like this: "What are you doing in Canada?" "End-of-semester/spring break/Christmas vacation." "Where are you saying?" "[Town name]" "Who are you staying with?" "My boyfriend and his family." Stamp. Wheee. Sometimes, the border guard flirts.

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Be honest and definitely bring the interview letter and possibly a copy of the K1 package you submitted along with copies of the NOAs to show that you are not the one trying to immigrate to Canada, but he's immigrating to the U.S. Also proof of ties of course.

Good luck at the interview. :)

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

The answer is easy.. tell the truth and be honest... it's the best policy...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

yeah the truth ...........and smile ( you've got an awesome smile ) say .....Im going to get my honey to bring him HOME!!!!!!! Wave that appt letter like its the US flag!!!!

Have an awesome trip girl!!!

google.gif

When my fiancee(gf at the time) lived in Coutts I did land crossings. I think their questions are more to see if you're shady/telling lies. It's hard not to be a little nervous, but ust be honest. One of the times I didn't say she was my girlfriend, and that I was visitng her whole family(explainging how we met). The guard said, "You're coming from Philadelphia all the way to Coutts to see this family?". I was going to come clean but thought that might hinder things. I've told them now(in Toronto) that I"m visiting my fiancee and they didn't ask about visa processes, etc.

CIS Office : Philadelphia PA

08/25/09 I-751 Sent to VSC

08/26/09 Package arrives at VSC

08/31/09 Check is Cashed/Clears

08/27/09 NOA

09/24/09 Biometrics

11/24/09 Approval letter arrives!

The answer is easy.. tell the truth and be honest... it's the best policy...

That's what I figure. Border officers are pretty smart cookies. They can see the stamps in my passport when they open it. And I figure it looks worse to say, 'Um, I'm visiting friends, I mean, my boyfriend, I mean, my fiancé, no really, I'm only visiting' rather than to say, hey, I'm on vacation, I'm staying with my fiancé, and being prepared to show evidence if they need it. I take my lease with me, but it's never come up.

Maybe I look honest. Or maybe, since it's usually 1am on a delayed flight because someone in Minnesota, Ottawa, or Toronto forgot to drive the plane to Laguardia properly, they're not in the mood to deal with a potential sleep-deprived hissy fit. ;)

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Telling the truth probably is the best policy, but it really depends on the mood and nature of the officer you're dealing with at the time.

Take my experiences, for instance. The first time I went to see my fiancee in Canada, it was a breeze. I basically walked right through Customs & Immigration. The second time was a different story entirely. The officer in question looked at me like I was some sort of criminal bringing in loads of drugs and holding an AK-47. I had to relate every detail of my plans, my trip, my funding, what I did for a living, and my relationship to that officer and then another officer in Secondary. They didn't search my bags, but they flat-out told me (rather rudely, I might add) that "they'd be the ones deciding whether or not I enter Canada."

My crime? I told them the truth, nothing more, nothing less. I was eventually let in (after about a half-hour of questioning) and when I told my fiancee what happened, she couldn't believe it. She was then a bit frightened of later goinging through U.S. Customs & Immigration, since in most cases, Canada is more lax than the United States.

As it turned out, my fiancee got through U.S. Customs & Immigration with little-to-no trouble (they must've been in a good mood that morning; my officer was joking around with me and gave me a high-five for having a girl in Canada), but all of this just proves the point that these situations are very, very difficult to predict. :wacko:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

However all the answers indicates that you have to tell the truth and I will give the same advice to you too - but whenever I have to cross the canadian border - I tell my reason as personal or business in one word - either "personal" or "business" depending on the purpose. If and when they ask further I tend to provide more information but that never created any problem what so ever. I have seen some people being called in the office because they tell more than expected by the border office. Just my 2 cents... I would be very general and tell the truth.

Timeline

It *always* depends on the POE officer. This past summer I was pretty much waved through by the (US) officer because he was flirting with me asking me about my tattoos ("Are you yakuza?" jokingly) and after a minute of personal chatting ended it with a sly, "Too bad I can't see your other ones". He scanned in my passport, didn't really look at the screen or ask me any questions other than my tattoos and piercings and let me go on my way... He didn't even ask me where I was going! :blink:

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline

Cass, you may be the kind of person who's overly prepared (good in this case) but also someone who sends signals that they're nervous (bad at the border). So just tell the truth! "I'm going to the U.S. Consulate in Vancouver to accompany my fiance to his visa interview."

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Driving back from Rhode island to Novas Scotia, came upon Customs (driving) The Cdn customs dude was all comfy like in his chair and just waved me through, didnt even look at my ID, and this was well after 9-11, Guess I looked innocent

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Just be honest and tell them. I have found most people in Customs to be very nice. You aren't trying to smuggle anything over the border, nor doing anything Illegal, you have nothing to wory about.

Edited by Stacey33

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.