lenster

Questions about K1 for Brazilian fiancee

67 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
First I wanted to point out how amusing it is that I was accused of being a troll when you look at some of the juvenile messages others have posted on this thread.

My original reason for this starting this thread was to get some answers for the K1 visa, not to discuss why I'm in love with a former prostitute. But I didn't mind discussing it since her profession is relevant.

I'm not trying to be stubborn and I do plan to return to Brazil and meet her family. I can't go there for long or very often because of my work. I'll try to learn portuguese but my language skills have never been good. I took french for 3 years and can barely say bonjour. I spoke with her about taking english classes and she is going to start to do that. The reason I'm in a rush is because I think the K1 visa is the only way we'll be able to spend a lot of time together. She can't come here because a tourist visa is impossible, I can't go there that much because of my work. But under the circumstances we do our best to get to know each other including communicating every day (using babelfish, which is actually pretty good, check it out for yourself).

On VJ you will find that almost nobody is going to be very helpful if you say that you want to use the fiance visa to spend time with the person. Someone will eventually say "this is not a dating visa." And indeed, it's a visa for people who already know they want to marry their fiances. If it's true love, you'll wait and visit her more. I'm just trying to warn you of what most people are probably going to tell you if you use that attitude. :thumbs:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

lenster,

You need to be consulting with an attorney, not with an internet discussion group. Your case has serious legal issues.

Yodrak

My original reason for this starting this thread was to get some answers for the K1 visa, not to discuss why I'm in love with a former prostitute. ....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Any recommendations for a lawyer in Rio? What can I expect to pay?

lenster,

You need to be consulting with an attorney, not with an internet discussion group. Your case has serious legal issues.

Yodrak

My original reason for this starting this thread was to get some answers for the K1 visa, not to discuss why I'm in love with a former prostitute. ....

Timeline
lenster,

Yodrak

You don't need a lawyer in Rio. You need an AMERICAN lawyer who knows something about the Rio consulate. An immigration lawyer. You need a consultation with one of those.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
CharlieBrown, you're getting out of line. The fact that she is/was a prostitute is the OP's problem and choice, and we're not here to judge that at all. All my opinions are based on the fact he's known her for too little time to be taking such a big step, and letting him know he'll have a hard time with the consulate if they don't even speak the same language.

That's BS. Your opinion is also based on the fact that she is/was a prostitute but you just don't want to say it. If it makes you feel better to think you don't have an opinion on that then fine, but don't be lecturing anyone else on that because they're not going to buy it.

The OP obviously has thick skin (and a thick head) and more balls than I have, if he is going to try to make this work. Getting a K1 VISA for a prostitute isn't going to be easy, and he better have a good sense of humor too if he's going to marry her.

I am remembering a poster with some sililar issues to yours, with regard to the language barrier.. I think it was

" looking4wife" I dont know where he's at in this process but you could possibly get some insight on what may happen to you ( personally or bureaucratically ) by reading his posts or PMing him.

April 14 - sent I-129F to Vermont

April 25 - NOA1

May, June, July lost to IMBRA and RFE's

Aug 22 - NOA2

Sept 25 - interview date OCTOBER 13th

Oct 26 - arrived at JFK - work authorized

Nov 21 - apply SSN, received Nov 29

Dec 16 - marriage license

Jan 05 - wedding

Jan 30 - AOS begins

AOS

Feb 07 - NOA1 ,check cashed

Feb 28 - notice I-485 sent to CSC

Mar 10 - Biometrics

Apr 16 - surprise RFE arrives..they lost my medical. New medical returned, Apr 23

Jun 1st - RFE ..more medical BS ( go back for TB skin test)

Jun 28 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

July 06- Green card arrives.

LIFTING CONDITIONS 2009

June 12 - mailed package

June 15 - check cashed

June 19 - NOA extension letter ( card expires June 26th)

July 03 - Biometrics notice

July 14 - Biometrics appointment

OCT 29 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

lenster,

Check with the consulate - American Citizen Services section. They may be able to provide a list of attornies directly or they ought to be able to direct you to where you can find a list.

Try contacting the AILA to see if they have any members practicing in Rio.

Yodrak

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
CharlieBrown, you're getting out of line. The fact that she is/was a prostitute is the OP's problem and choice, and we're not here to judge that at all. All my opinions are based on the fact he's known her for too little time to be taking such a big step, and letting him know he'll have a hard time with the consulate if they don't even speak the same language.

That's BS. Your opinion is also based on the fact that she is/was a prostitute but you just don't want to say it. If it makes you feel better to think you don't have an opinion on that then fine, but don't be lecturing anyone else on that because they're not going to buy it.

Actually my opinion trully wasn't based on her profession. I have a friend who met a prostitute, fell in love and married her, "saving" her from the profession (she was in it 'cus she was poor). They're happily married with kids. Either way there are certain "ways" of giving your opinion without being blunt out offensive.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Alex,

His best bet is an American lawyer living and practicing in Rio, someone who is intimately familiar with the US consulate there. Next best would be an American lawyer living and practicing in the USA but who specializes in cases in Brazil or with a lot of experience in Brazil.

Working this case is going to involve more than a good knowledge of the law, it's going to involve knowledge of the particular people who need to be dealt with and how to work with those particular people.

Yodrak

You don't need a lawyer in Rio. You need an AMERICAN lawyer who knows something about the Rio consulate. An immigration lawyer. You need a consultation with one of those.

Timeline
Alex,

His best bet is an American lawyer living and practicing in Rio, someone who is intimately familiar with the US consulate there. Next best would be an American lawyer living and practicing in the USA but who specializes in cases in Brazil or with a lot of experience in Brazil.

Working this case is going to involve more than a good knowledge of the law, it's going to involve knowledge of the particular people who need to be dealt with and how to work with those particular people.

Yodrak

AFAIK, there aren't any American lawyers practicing in Rio other than corporate lawyers.

It's true we can't communicate well with language but I feel we click better than any woman I've met who speaks my own language.

Seriously, HOW? What do you do in person to communicate, when there's no electronic translator? Sex can only communicate so much!!!

She was still working when we met, but she never charged me to be with her since what we have is real.

:blink::blink: Lucky you! :huh:

Edited by devilette

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Seriously, HOW? What do you do in person to communicate, when there's no electronic translator? Sex can only communicate so much!!!

Don't forget that there are many forms of comunication. When in person you can communicate with speech as well as body language. When things get really difficult you can always get out the crayons and draw pictures.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
It's true we can't communicate well with language but I feel we click better than any woman I've met who speaks my own language.

Yes, but don't forget that she was/is a pro, so she can probably communicate better with sex than most people! ;)

How long have you known your fiancé? This sounds like a very recent thing, too.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.