lenster

Questions about K1 for Brazilian fiancee

67 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

lenster,

There is no record of her prostitution that I know of. However, my brother (who was with me when I met her) does not want me to marry her and he has threatened to inform the authorities at the consulate of her profession. Can he really do that? Is there someone that would really take him seriously if he did that?

Consular officer, unless very new to the post, know their host country well. In many cases they can detect a prostitute when the see one. There are any number of signs that can give a prostitute away, and when they see a sign a consular officer will start asking questions that may seem innocent at first but can get very ugly in the effort to determine the truth of the situation.

...... It's true that my situation is unique, .....

No, your situation is not unique.

Yodrak

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

The consensus here appears to be that we should disclose that she once worked as a prostitute. I noticed that DS-156 says that a person is ineligible if they have ever worked as a prostitute. DS-230 says the following items will be assessed when reviewing a person including if they engaged as a prostitute in the US or if they engaged as a prostitute in the last 10 years (I assume this means anywhere not just in the US). DS-156 seems to claim that prostitution is a deal killer whereas DS-230 seems to say it is one of many factors to be considered. Is that right and why are the two inconsistent in this regard?

My question is, if we reveal that she was a prostitute should we provided further explanation with these forms. For example that she no longer works as a prostitute and that she did it for less than a year. Or do we wait until the interview, but if we do that maybe an interview would not even be possible.

Someone mentioned that a consulate officer can spot a prostitute. My girlfriend only worked in that capacity for a short time and I don't think she appears any different than other woman her age. I'm not sure how they would know her former profession but maybe they ask certain questions - if we don't disclose her former profession it might be good to know what those questions are so we can prepare for them.

lenster,

You should consult with a US immigration attorney who has experience with the consulate in Brazil, preferably one who practices there and is acquainted with the consular officers. Such an attorney would be able to give you a better idea of what the consular officers look for and how your fiancee should present herself and information about herself.

I do not know people, customs, and culture of Brazil, so I cannot tell you what the signs might be in your case. I can tell you that in my wife's country a casual visitor like you would not likely know a prostitute from any other woman they see on the street. But a fellow countyman or seasoned expat - or a consular officer - can pick them out immediately. I read one fellow's report of how his fiancee was identified as a prostitute (incorrectly, according to him) by the area of the city that she lived in. She eventually caved in and admitted her past as the questioning became more and more intense.

One tactic to be aware of, should it come about in your fiancee's case, is that after a thorough verbal beating she will be promised that all will be forgiven if she admit her sins. And when she does confess, her visa application will be denied.

Yodrak

My question is, if we reveal that she was a prostitute should we provided further explanation with these forms. For example that she no longer works as a prostitute and that she did it for less than a year. Or do we wait until the interview, but if we do that maybe an interview would not even be possible.

Someone mentioned that a consulate officer can spot a prostitute. My girlfriend only worked in that capacity for a short time and I don't think she appears any different than other woman her age. I'm not sure how they would know her former profession but maybe they ask certain questions - if we don't disclose her former profession it might be good to know what those questions are so we can prepare for them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hmmm, if you're saying she was only a prostitute for a short period of time a long time ago (that's what you appear to be stating) why would you have it brought up at all? Is not like "prostitute", "bum", "social climber" can be listed as employments.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

lenster,

I have to admit I'm kind of curious why someone would choose to get involved with an ex-prostitute. Did you meet her on the job? I mean, there are a lot of honest, hard-working foreign women out there looking for US husbands. I know it's good money, but most women would work at a low-paying job before they would do that.

I'm not being a smart-azz here, I'm just curious.

How do you know she really quit the profession? Have you been able to confirm this?

Has she had an HIV test recently? This would probably be wise, as they will test her at her medical exam anyway.

CB

Timeline

CB,

The original purpose of my post was to get information on how my situation will affect the K1 process. But since everyone has been forthcoming with advice I don't mind answering your questions as well.

Believe me, I would prefer that she had never been a prostitute, both for the stigma attached to it, the difficult immigration problems this may cause and the thought of her having been with a number of men. But despite this, the time I spent with her were some of the best days I've ever had and I've never met a woman that I felt so good about. It's true we can't communicate well with language but I feel we click better than any woman I've met who speaks my own language. She seems to care for me like no other woman and is so full of life. I feel excited whenever time we chat like I haven't felt since I was in high school. I know it doesn't sound rational, but love is not always rational.

She was still working when we met, but she never charged me to be with her since what we have is real. The place she worked at had mandatory testing so she was regularly tested throughout her time working. I know she quit the profession because she's always been honest with me and I trust her. Plus we speak sometimes at night which is the hours she used to work at. While she was working she could not speak with me at night, but now that she quit she is available at that time.

Hope this answers your questions.

Timeline

I'd be very careful with this situation.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
CB,

The original purpose of my post was to get information on how my situation will affect the K1 process. But since everyone has been forthcoming with advice I don't mind answering your questions as well.

Believe me, I would prefer that she had never been a prostitute, both for the stigma attached to it, the difficult immigration problems this may cause and the thought of her having been with a number of men. But despite this, the time I spent with her were some of the best days I've ever had and I've never met a woman that I felt so good about. It's true we can't communicate well with language but I feel we click better than any woman I've met who speaks my own language. She seems to care for me like no other woman and is so full of life. I feel excited whenever time we chat like I haven't felt since I was in high school. I know it doesn't sound rational, but love is not always rational.

She was still working when we met, but she never charged me to be with her since what we have is real. The place she worked at had mandatory testing so she was regularly tested throughout her time working. I know she quit the profession because she's always been honest with me and I trust her. Plus we speak sometimes at night which is the hours she used to work at. While she was working she could not speak with me at night, but now that she quit she is available at that time.

Hope this answers your questions.

Oh that certainly answers my questions.

It's good that you trust her and I hope she's being honest with you about her situation now. Even so, I can't imagine why a man would choose to have a relationship with a woman who has chosen such a profession, even if she has quit. I mean, what does that say about the values, morals and judgement of such a woman, even if she (as she claims) no longer sells her body? I guess that will be one of the mysteries of the universe.

Timeline
Hmmm, if you're saying she was only a prostitute for a short period of time a long time ago (that's what you appear to be stating) why would you have it brought up at all? Is not like "prostitute", "bum", "social climber" can be listed as employments.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. She has worked in that capacity for a short time (less than a year) but it was not a long time ago. She quit a short while ago. Nonetheless, one of the forms has a box that must be checked if she worked as a prostitute in the last 10 years, so it's not just a question of what to put down on the "employment" issue, but also on the specific questions about prostitution.

Timeline

Hey Lenster,

Just be careful and go slow. Take another vacation for a few weeks to be with her. Meet her family and her friends. Try to not get so caught up in her beauty and everything and step away from yourself and try to take mental notes - use your brain and not your heart and well . . you know . This is going to be the one that may be having your children. If she is truly for real then take your time.

The trip will be worth it. Oh and dont get offended if I say this: Just be careful, dont end up missing in a burnt out car.

10Yr GC arrived 07/02/09 - Naturalization is next

The drama begins - again!

And now the drama ends - they took the Green card . . .

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Be 100% sure that she's really getting tested. That's not so common in Brazil from what I hear (a policy like that for prostitutes getting tested). Prostitutes in Rio have an extremely high rate of HIV. How can you trust her when you can't even understand a word she says?

Anyway, it's your funeral, but there's no way you're passing that interview without a common language. Learn Portuguese before you file a single paper. Before you even consider the implications her being a prostitute could have on your application.

She was still working when we met, but she never charged me to be with her since what we have is real.

I hope you never have to look back on this and say, 'd'oh! She didn't charge because she wanted to get a foreign husband!" Since usually nobody charges prospective foreign husbands.

I hope you are not being as foolish as you appear to be. (My .02 and I'm sincere in that hope)

Timeline

Just noticed also that you said she had mandatory testing for aids. Would the authorities have some type of access to this information? Could they question why she had so many tests for HIV or would she had to have put her profession down to get the tests?

Also, what would she put down for employment if she did this for a year in leu of this? Was she going to school also?

Just wondering and trying to look at from all angles.

Good luck whatever you decide and hope you are making the right decision - again, BE CAREFUL.

lenster,

Alex makes a good point. A possible case of delayed billing. If so, the accrued interest will be high.

Yodrak

She was still working when we met, but she never charged me to be with her since what we have is real.

I hope you never have to look back on this and say, 'd'oh! She didn't charge because she wanted to get a foreign husband!" Since usually nobody charges prospective foreign husbands.

I hope you are not being as foolish as you appear to be. (My .02 and I'm sincere in that hope)

Edited by Yodrak

Timeline
lenster,

Alex makes a good point. A possible case of delayed billing. If so, the accrued interest will be high.

Yodrak

Might make sense for YOU to get tested - bottom line.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Aside from the prostitution which is a huge problem with immigration (makes her ineligible) as others have pointed out, how would you both explain having a bona fide relationship if neither of you speak the same language?

Telling the consular officer that you use a electronic translator just isn't going to fly...

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.