Marshall15

Are you a former exchange visitor (J) who has not yet fulfilled the two-year foreign residence requirement?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It looks like I'm OK.

My Sponsor has told me that everything that was on my original DS-2019 stands because it was signed by immigration, and my extension wasn't because it states in the 'purpose of this form' box 'to extend an existing program' and because my original DS-2019 also states TRAINEE UPTO 18 MONTHS.

I hope that makes sense!

Fingers Crossed!

Thank you for all your help!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm sorry to interrupt here but I got a question. I was also a j1 visitor, I was an exchange student, this j1 Visa was eligible from Jul 2009 to Jul 2010. I then went to Poland, my country, and after summer got back here again on the F1 student visa, graduated hs here. I've been in my country since June 2011 til February 2013. However my j1 thing in my passport does say "bearer is not subject to section 212e. Two year rule does not apply. (Poland)"

Am i good? We just got approved for the k1, I'll have to schedule interview in my country soon.

Does the box in your DS is checked?

It seems that you are not under the rule.

04/04/2012 Got marriage

I-130 (originally sent as a IR-1/CR-1 Visa)

05/31/2013 Package delivered

06/02/2013 E-notifications (text/email)

06/22/2013 NOA1 hardcopy received

12/18/2013 Transferred & being processed at NSC

02/19/2014 NOA2 (Approved)

AOS (changed from IR-1/CR-1 Visa to AOS from B2)

03/24/2014 Package delivered (signed by J C)

04/04/2014 E-notifications (text/email) & check cashed

04/08/2014 NOA1 hardcopies received

04/10/2014 Biometric appointment for 04/29

05/06/2014 Late biometric done (had a cut in one finger)

05/12/2014 Case update to Testing & Interview

06/04/2014 EAD card in production

06/12/2014 EAD delivered

06/12/2014 Interview schedule for June 17th

07/17/2014 Approved on the spot

N-400 Citizenship

05/02/2017 Package sent

05/05/2017 Package delivered

05/10/2017 Check cashed

05/09/2017 NOA date

05/15/2017 NOA in the mail

06/02/2017 Fingerprint appointment

06/19/2017 In line for interview

10/30/2017 Interview (approved in the spot)

11/08/2017 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

My ds? All I've got with me is my passport...

But what answer exactly you're looking for ? For somebody to confirm that if you DS or passport says you're not subject to 2-year rule then you're not ? Can't figure it out on your own ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

But what answer exactly you're looking for ? For somebody to confirm that if you DS or passport says you're not subject to 2-year rule then you're not ? Can't figure it out on your own ?

Yeah I just wanted to make sure, I'm a blonde.

What is that dependent on, whether someone is subject to that requirement not?

Można być milszym, you know?

Edited by Beautifulday

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Yeah I just wanted to make sure, I'm a blonde.

What is that dependent on, whether someone is subject to that requirement not?

Most recently on country of origin I believe. PL is not subject to 2 HHR for a while now.

Two-year Home-country Physical Presence Requirement Conditions - An exchange visitor is subject to the two-year home-country physical presence requirement if the following conditions exist:

• Government funded exchange program - The program in which the exchange visitor was participating was financed in whole or in part directly or indirectly by the U.S. government or the government of the exchange visitor's nationality or last residence;
  • Graduate medical education or training - The exchange visitor entered the United States to receive graduate medical education or training;
  • Specialized knowledge or skill: Skills List - The exchange visitor is a national or permanent resident of a country which has deemed the field of specialized knowledge or skill necessary to the development of the country, as shown on the Exchange Visitor Skills List. Review the Exchange Visitor Skills List 2009.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

<p>

Most recently on country of origin I believe. PL is not subject to 2 HHR for a while now.

Two-year Home-country Physical Presence Requirement Conditions - An exchange visitor is subject to the two-year home-country physical presence requirement if the following conditions exist:

• Government funded exchange program - The program in which the exchange visitor was participating was financed in whole or in part directly or indirectly by the U.S. government or the government of the exchange visitor's nationality or last residence;
  • Graduate medical education or training - The exchange visitor entered the United States to receive graduate medical education or training;
  • Specialized knowledge or skill: Skills List - The exchange visitor is a national or permanent resident of a country which has deemed the field of specialized knowledge or skill necessary to the development of the country, as shown on the Exchange Visitor Skills List. Review the Exchange Visitor Skills List 2009.
Thank you. So we're good then.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I said I was sorry, and I clearly asked about my station after explaining it a little. I don't see what the problem with is but OK...

The problem is that it's called "hijacking someone else's thread" and it's rude. If you want your questions answered, start your own thread.

Timeline

OP, you need to find out whether or not you're subject to the two year rule. My husband was subject to it and returned to his country for 2 years. During the time he was here, he needed to get his J-1 renewed 3 times. 2 of his J-1 visas had "subject to 2 year rule" and one of them said "two year rule does not apply". He came to the US to do graduate school funded by his country and so even though one of his visas said "does not apply", this was given in error. We also know two other international students who are here in the US completing graduate school. They're both funded by the governments of their country and one of them has a "subject to two year rule" and the other one does not. However, they explained to me that in the end, it's up to the CO. If you were funded by an entity in your country to come to the US (such as study abroad or some kind of scholarship), then most likely you ARE subject to the 2 year rule. If you came here as a part of a worker exchance program (i.e. they place you at disney land, a restaurant, nanny, etc.) then most likely you are not subject.

Timeline

Are you definitely sure about this?

From what I'm reading it is only for work visas?

Surely we wouldn't have just had it accepted if they were going to refuse it later down the line?

I met her 3 months into my 18 month visa, so it's not just a summer romance.

What exactly am I looking for in regards to this HRR you mentioned?

It is not only for work visas as it clearly says on the form you're currently filling out for the K-1 visa. You cannot immigrate to the US if you have not completed the two year home residency requirement if you're subject to it.

Timeline

It looks like I'm OK.

My Sponsor has told me that everything that was on my original DS-2019 stands because it was signed by immigration, and my extension wasn't because it states in the 'purpose of this form' box 'to extend an existing program' and because my original DS-2019 also states TRAINEE UPTO 18 MONTHS.

I hope that makes sense!

Fingers Crossed!

Thank you for all your help!

I didn't see this post here. I am glad your sponsor said it should be OK! The j-1 is an evil visa, indeed. :) Good luck!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I didn't see this post here. I am glad your sponsor said it should be OK! The j-1 is an evil visa, indeed. :) Good luck!

Please explain how the J-1 is an evil visa?

Didn't the beneficiary agree to return home for 2 years in exchange for taking money from the home country/sponsoring organization?

Why is the J-1 an evil visa when the beneficiary is the one breaking the agreement after taking the money?

Edited by aaron2020

For the benefit of anyone this applies to, you can request an advisory opinion from the State Department as to whether you are subject to the J-1 HRR. Anyone wishing to do this can find information here: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/advisory-opinions.html

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.