SemperAye

Citizen having a child abroad citizenship question

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am a US citizen born and raised and my wife is a Filipino with a 10 year green card. We will be living in Cebu Philippines for a couple years while I'll be on a student visa using my VA GI-Bill. My wife may or may not be a citizen by the time we arrive in Cebu (not sure if this is a problem either). We were wondering if we were to get pregnant while abroad in Cebu, if our child would automatically qualify for US citizenship? If so, would any documents need to be filed for the child?

Thanx in advance to the community for your help!

03/12/2010 - I-129F Mailed to Vermont

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

06/02/2010 - Email Received "Approved"! (that was fast)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Your child will be a US citizen based on your US citizenship. Wife can be either a USC or not as your US citizenship is sufficient to pass it on to your children.

You will need to file a CRBA and US passport for your child at the US Embassy.

Your child will be a US citizen based on your US citizenship. Wife can be either a USC or not as your US citizenship is sufficient to pass it on to your children.

You will need to file a CRBA and US passport for your child at the US Embassy.

agree.. thats what i did with my baby... you have to file for CRBA in US EMBASSY manila.. it will be easy if you will be there..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from US Citizenship to CRBA, because that is the process the Op will need once the baby is born *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

If your wife does not become a US citizen you want to look into obtaining a re-entry permit. It will allow her to be outside of the US for up to two years without losing her residency.

• 8 months later...
Timeline

If your wife does not become a US citizen you want to look into obtaining a re-entry permit. It will allow her to be outside of the US for up to two years without losing her residency.

Good advice thank you! We've decided to get her citizenship first. Once she is a citizen do you know how long she can stay in PH without flying back? I think I heard somewhere it's 3 years before the US considers you abandoned and you may or may not be able to reenter the us after that.

For me I'm guessing it would be the same thing? I can stay for 3 years, but unlike my wife, I would have to fly to hongkong or somewhere nearbye with my wife each year before my visa expires and re-enter as balikbayan to stay another year.

Edited by SemperAye

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

Timeline

Once she is a citizen, she can stay abroad forever and remain a citizen.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Once she is a citizen, she can stay abroad forever and remain a citizen.

But what if she applies for dual citizenship?

04/15/2010 - NOA1

03/18/2010 - Touched

Timeline

But what if she applies for dual citizenship?

No problem from the US side, I don't know how the Philippines feels about it.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.