Kristy.Brown

police checks australia

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

The petitioner will receive correspondence from NVC once they have assigned a case number and forwarded it to the US Consulate in Sydney. You don't need to call, but you can if you find it is taking longer than expected to be processed by NVC. (NVC had our petition for less than a week).

I believe only NSW and QLD will require your case number allocated by NVC, as they are the only states that will send the certificate directly to the consulate (so the case number is necessary to match it up with your file). If you are applying through another state, then you can apply for your police certificate at any time.

When you apply for the police check, you will want either a 'name check' or 'name and finger print check'. If you chose the later, you will be required to go to a police station to have your finger prints taken (some do ink, some will scan. If you go through the AFP they will require ink). The police service in your state will then do a check against national databases based on your name (and finger prints if you have that done). They will then send the police certificate you, or the consulate if you are in NSW or QLD. You will not receive a copy of your finger prints.

There is also a service for 'name check and finger prints' which is something different. This means they will provide a certificate based on a name check, and then take your prints and provide you with a copy but not actually do a check on them. This is for those people who also need to apply for a police certificate in other countries and have to supply finger prints taken by an authorised law enforcement agency.

Conducting the actual police check doesn't take very long, but the processing time will vary depending on the workload of the state in which you are applying. So it could be turned around in a week, or it could take up to a month. In our case, it took two months.

Darin&josh, you seem to know a lot on the topic of police checks. I have a question for you...

We live in NSW. My fiance (the beneficiary) did the NSW National Police Check (this one: https://npcoapr.police.nsw.gov.au/aspx/dataentry/Introduction.aspx) and opted for the fingerprint check. In the section where it asks the purpose of the check, he wrote something like Overseas Visa, USA K-1. (There wasn't any space to put the details of exactly who to send it to. It only asked for our personal address.) Then he went and got his fingerprints taken at a local police station. They sent it off to the NSW Criminal Records Section. We thought that because it's NSW, the certificate should go directly to the U.S. Consulate, but yesterday, we received it at our home address. Is this a problem? Did we do something wrong? Will the U.S. Consulate still accept it if we bring it in at the interview? Can we open it? Or should we it in the sealed envelope?

And has anyone else living in NSW been in this situation? If so, how did you go? Did the U.S. Consulate accept your police check (even though it wasn't sent directly from the NSW Criminal Records Section)?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

K1

5 Mar 2014: I-129F petition sent to Lewisville TX lockbox
11 Mar 2014: NOA1 (Petition forwarded to California Service Center)
13 Mar 2014: NOA2 received
21 Apr 2014: NVC received package, assigned case number
29 Apr 2014: Packet 3 received

13 May 2014: Medical
27 May 2014: Interview, approval
29 May 2014: Visa issued
28 Jul 2014: US Arrival

12 Aug 2014: Marriage

AOS

29 Aug 2014: Filed I-485, I-765, I-131 to Chicago IL lockbox

3 Sep 2014: NOA received (I-485, I-765, I-131)

5 Sep 2014: ASC Appointment Notice (Biometric)

23 Sep 2014: Biometric Appointment

9 Oct 2014: I-765 / I-131 - Card/Document Production

20 Oct 2014: EAD/AP Combo Card Received

11 Dec 2014: Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case

30 Jun 2015: Filed EAD/AP Combo Card Renewal

28 Jul 2015: I-485 Card/Document Production and Decision

24 Aug 2015: I-485 Received

ROC

3 May 2017 (90 days before expiry): Filed I-751 to VSC (USPS Priority)

6 May 2017: USCIS Received

16 May 2017: USCIS Cashed Check

18 May 2017: I-797 Received

21 Jun 2017: Biometric Appointment

29 May 2018: NOA Approval Notice

5 Jun 2018: I-551 Received

Darin&josh, you seem to know a lot on the topic of police checks. I have a question for you...

We live in NSW. My fiance (the beneficiary) did the NSW National Police Check (this one: https://npcoapr.police.nsw.gov.au/aspx/dataentry/Introduction.aspx) and opted for the fingerprint check. In the section where it asks the purpose of the check, he wrote something like Overseas Visa, USA K-1. (There wasn't any space to put the details of exactly who to send it to. It only asked for our personal address.) Then he went and got his fingerprints taken at a local police station. They sent it off to the NSW Criminal Records Section. We thought that because it's NSW, the certificate should go directly to the U.S. Consulate, but yesterday, we received it at our home address. Is this a problem? Did we do something wrong? Will the U.S. Consulate still accept it if we bring it in at the interview? Can we open it? Or should we it in the sealed envelope?

And has anyone else living in NSW been in this situation? If so, how did you go? Did the U.S. Consulate accept your police check (even though it wasn't sent directly from the NSW Criminal Records Section)?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

I've read of a few people from NSW that have had their police certificate sent directly to them rather than the Consulate. I wouldn't worry about it being sent to you, as it won't be a problem for the Consulate so long as it is an official police certificate. You can open it and include it with your DSL-1076 checklist and required documents that you will take to the interview, just as someone from another jurisdiction would do.

Good luck with your interview next week :)

I-129F posted: 25/11/2013

NOA1: 9/12/2013

Alien Registration Number Changed: 10/12/2013

NOA2: 5/2/2014

Received at NVC: 19/02/2014

Left NVC: 24/02/2014

Received at Consulate: 10/03/2014

Received Packet 3: 10/03/2014

Consulate Interview: 8/04/2014

POE LAX: 2/07/2014

Married: 11/07/2014

AOS posted: 17/07/2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I've read of a few people from NSW that have had their police certificate sent directly to them rather than the Consulate. I wouldn't worry about it being sent to you, as it won't be a problem for the Consulate so long as it is an official police certificate. You can open it and include it with your DSL-1076 checklist and required documents that you will take to the interview, just as someone from another jurisdiction would do.

Good luck with your interview next week :)

I didn't ask the original question but you have so much knowledge so....

I thought I saw on the AFP online form box to check to send to another address, I'm wondering if i should put the Sydney consulate address here but i wonder if that is safe, what if it gets lost?!

Am I better off talking to the police when I get my fingerprints done?

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

I didn't ask the original question but you have so much knowledge so....

I thought I saw on the AFP online form box to check to send to another address, I'm wondering if i should put the Sydney consulate address here but i wonder if that is safe, what if it gets lost?!

Am I better off talking to the police when I get my fingerprints done?

I would probably have it sent to you rather than the Consulate, as I don't think there is a field to put a case or reference number in order for it to be matched with your file when it arrives at the Consulate. Also, I am guessing that you would probably feel more comfortable having it in your hand so you can be confident you have everything in order prior to your interview.

If you are choosing to have a name and fingerprint check, you may find it easier (and perhaps slightly cheaper) to do the check through your state police rather than sending it off to the AFP (unless of course you are in the ACT or WA, or are overseas at the moment).

Hope that helps :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I would probably have it sent to you rather than the Consulate, as I don't think there is a field to put a case or reference number in order for it to be matched with your file when it arrives at the Consulate. Also, I am guessing that you would probably feel more comfortable having it in your hand so you can be confident you have everything in order prior to your interview.

If you are choosing to have a name and fingerprint check, you may find it easier (and perhaps slightly cheaper) to do the check through your state police rather than sending it off to the AFP (unless of course you are in the ACT or WA, or are overseas at the moment).

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for that! I am going through the NSW police website. So I guess they will send me the certificate but send the fingerprints to the consulate via Parramatta criminal records?

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Thanks for that! I am going through the NSW police website. So I guess they will send me the certificate but send the fingerprints to the consulate via Parramatta criminal records?

Once you have submitted your request, they will send the police certificate to the address supplied (it looks as though on the NSW site you can opt to have it sent to the applicants address and not the requesting organisation). If you opt for a fingerprint check it will just be used to look for any matches on the various state databases. They won't send the fingerprints anywhere, and the Consulate won't need them.

What you will receive is a single sheet (assuming you have no convictions or matters before a court) that looks like this sample and it will include your name, date of birth, and including wording to the effect that:

"A nationwide name check (or name and fingerprint check) has been conducted for the person listed below, for the stated purpose of Visa to the United States of America. This is to certify that at the date of issue, there are No Disclosable Court Outcomes or outstanding matters recorded within the records of police jurisdictions in Australia."

On the NSW Police website you are able to apply for the police check through their site, or if you fit into certain categories, they direct you to the AFP. Do you plan to apply for your national police certificate through NSW Police? An information sheet on using their site is available, which is fairly helpful. It also includes instructions on contacting your local police station if you need to have fingerprints taken and how to have your identification confirmed.

(If you've lived in a country other than Australia or the US, you may need fingerprints to send to a law enforcement agency in that country in order for them to provide a police certificate to cover your time there. However, obtaining fingerprints for that purpose would be a separate request from the application for an Australian national police certificate).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.